Main Menu

Radio Fine Print again at the 24hr

Started by Martin Harrold, March 22, 2009, 19:55:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

I'm pleased to announce that Radio Fine Print should be on air again in August to give full coverage of the only 24hr motor race in the UK in '09.

Subject only to Gordon and Alistair not pushing the economy into total meltdown between now and August, Fine Print, with probable support from our 2008 co-sponsors, will set up the RSL as they have done in the past two years. Commentators will be as last year, Alan Hyde, Matt James and Lewis Beales, with expert input and support from club stalwart Ainslie Bousefield.

If you listened to it last year, then we hope you enjoyed it. If you have any ideas for improving coverage then post it here or contact me direct. If you are involved with promoting a product or service and would like to be a part sponsor of the station for just £250, please give me a call on 07973 303982

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Martyn Daniel

Brilliant!  Loved the commentary last year, amusing and informative.  Just wish I remembered my radio, as during the night I could only listen to it in the car when I was driving around the circuit!

Chris Yates

Martin Harrold

In the true spirit of 2CV racing, we have a newbie joining the commentating team. He's Jon Waldock, and he's 18 and currently in his final A-Level year.
He has always had an interest in motorsport journalism and in particular
pit lane commentary.

Head motor mouth Alan Hyde has welcomed him to the team and it does mean that with Ainslie doing his bit, there are enough people so that the commentary should be continuous.

I'm also delighted that all the '08 sponsors of Radio Fine Print have come on board again for '09. If any of the new 2CV racers who've taken to the circuits this year have any good business connections who want to be associated with the only 24hr motor race in the UK this year, there is still room for one or two more sponsors at £250 each.
2CV Team LION

Martin Harrold

We think that we are establishing a yet another first for the Classic 2CV Racing Club. Not only is the club running the only 24hr motor race in the UK in 2009, but we think it it will be the first race in the UK to have a world wide webcast of the broadcast commentary.

It's all coming together late in the the day, but it looks very likely that the Radio Fine Print local broadcast commentary (on 87.7fm - don't forget to bring a radio to the circuit), will also be broadcast live on the web.

The funding for the package has been made available by Professional Motor Sport World Expo (www.professionalmotorsport-expo.com) Fine Print (www.lionpic.co.uk), Classic 2CV Racing Club, Crusader Vans and fellow racer Nick Roads. Local support will come from Snetterton Circuit /  MSV.

There are a lot of technical details still to sort in a very short time. The webcast technology is being supplied by the Radio Show Ltd, led by John Hindhaugh (he of the Sunderland accent and known to anyone who's been to Le Mans in the past 10 or more years) They are most famous for Radio Le Mans: www.radiolemans.com

The technical stuff will be assisted by our esteemed webmaster Chris Yates (and he's learning about that for the first time as he reads this!)

The commentary team will be as previously announced, so their words will be broadcast far and wide.

It will all rely on a long connection via ADSL from the commentary box in rural Norfolk to the Radio Show Ltd computers in London which will digitalise the broadcast signal. If a wire comes loose, it could all fall apart, so keep your fingers crossed.

The webcast will be broadcast on either www.radiolemans.com or on www.2cvracing.org.uk, or possibly both. We'll post the info here soonest.

2CV Team LION

Mary Lindsay

Martin, that sounds like a really great idea. It might pay to issue a press release to this effect to generate even more interest.

Martin Harrold

Mary:

It certainly would. Could you draft something? Do you have a possible email circulation list?

I should be able to get Edd Straw to get it a small mention in Autosport, but wider coverage would be super.

Martin
2CV Team LION

Mary Lindsay

Martin, I will email you a suggested press release.

For the circulation list we can simply visit the web sites of motoring journals and any other press and media who might be interested and send it to them.

I have posted separately under "Publicity" the fact that I have managed to get Bob Bull of BBC Three Counties Radio interested and he is going to circulate his piece (an interview with one of our drivers from Hertfordshire) to his counterparts in other areas. What we need is some local interest drivers who are prepared to be interviewed. It would be helpful if they could contact me or you to pursue this as long as that Aubrey is happy with it.

Chris Yates

QuoteThe technical stuff will be assisted by our esteemed webmaster Chris Yates (and he's learning about that for the first time as he reads this!)

Fantastic news Martin! I very much look forward to assisting in any way I can. Although I have no idea how to set that sort of thing up, I'm sure The Radio Show ltd will have considerable expertise in that area :)

Once the press release is final, I'll get it put up on the front page of the main site too.

Martin Harrold

OK:

It's now confirmed that the webcast will be broadcast on the club website, www.2cvracing.org.uk

There will be plenty of cross links to www.radiolemans.com who will be broadcasting the ALMS race from Mid-Ohio the same weekend.

So, to maximise the number of people who might listen in, we ask every club member to start now to circulate the news about the webcast to everyone on their emailing lists at work and at home.

To make it work, Chris, I will be taking you up on your offer and am emailing you seperately.
2CV Team LION

Derek Harnett

Excellent news and well done with the endeavour.

I'm always interested to know how the race is going and found it frustrating in the past to have to wait for days for the reports to come out.

I for one will be logging onto the webcast regularly over the weekend.

Steve Panas

Any news about Mondello chances nowadays??

Martyn Daniel

Which commentator was the Alan Partridge-a-like last year?
I hope he's back again!

Chris Yates

That's Alan Hyde, who also does BTCC circuit commentary. Bit of a legend, and is aware of his Alan Partridge similarities :D

Derek Harnett

Quote from: Steve Panas on July 23, 2009, 09:08:07
Any news about Mondello chances nowadays??

I assume you're asking about a possible 24 hour return rather than a regular race meeting, since as far as I know the costs quoted for an attempt to come over for a regular weekend this year were too high.

I've been out of the loop there for a while but will put out some feelers.

The usual two issues will apply I'm sure - cost and noise.