Main Menu

oulton park meeting

Started by gadget, March 29, 2015, 13:21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget

hi all,
nice to catch up with those that turned up at Oulton this weekend. Sadly our weekend didn't go quite to plan!
but pleased to report that Sammie was in good mood when I spoke to her last night on the way home and doesn't have any broken bits. Just a lot of bruises.
Also many thanks to everyone who helped us get Lien's car back onto the trailer yesterday,many hands make light work.
I see another re- chassis coming on in the near future! after this one we should be getting good at it. this will be the 3rd chassis under that car in less than a year!
anyway thanks to everyone again and see you all at Brands in 2 weeks with the T car.
great atmosphere in the paddock this weekend too.
Gadget

RLambert

Yes the weekend didn't quite go as planned!  The accident took it the whole team,  Glenn, Simon, Sammie and myself with only my car able to carry on!

I'm working my magic on the body panels right now.

Great news that Sammie is ok.  I have footage of her crash from my onboard camera and it was quite an impact. I'll try and post it later.

Simon Crook

Nice seeing everyone yesterday on our return, glad to hear all involved in the first corner incident are just a little bruised, and a big thank you to all those who managed to miss me during my two epic moments on the restart at the same corner!!!! due to work commitments at this stage thats our season done, so the rest of have a good season and stay safe.

Simon 
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

nick nice toes

Sad to see soo much carnage upon our return to racing.
On a happier note it's good to hear that all who sustained knocks, bruises and aches and pains are ok.
Simon if only my camera was any good I would have caught your restart involving one of your tail wagging episodes. Epic to the point of wondering if you had entered a drift championship 😊

Nick Roads

Car 92 after Oulton crash.

I am not sure what happened in race and glad to hear last night Sammie ok. I was hit at least 3 times - my car definitely twitched at the end of the corner for some reason before the main impacts - not fun.

My car is written off but Crisis One will phoenix like come back at some point this year.

There are some potential safety issues I was not aware of which I will pass on to technical committee but seem worth sharing now.

* the roll cage bars on the floor were poorly welded at front and both the welds broke but the bar itself bent first so presumably its own strength is questionable

* the bar at the rear bent up by 80 mm approx but did not break

the rolll cage and floor bars car when I bought it 10 years ago and I have never touched them. I am glad i had nothing mounted across the bars other than the footplate in the picture

* the seat rail mounts and all the harness mounts worked fine and no signs of any movement
* the seat side mount at the rear however was deflected out by around 40 mm at the top 

* the seat itself has shifted 100 mm at the top to the right when viewed from front - middle of spirit level in pic below is dead centre of seat.

seat as seen when in car

seat rails and mounts from demon tweeks within last 8 years
seat was new in 2010

* seat belts were inspected by BARC/MSA and show clear marks of the impact and while I do not have to replace them it is recommended I do
* my leg is ok but badly bruised at top of thigh as the front part of the seat seemed to be stronger than the rear and along with the harnesses took the strain when the seat shifted at top as the side mount leg bent - doctor at track happy I keep the leg and no need to replace it

side view of car from other side of where the bar bent in first picture which was main contact point

I had bought a HANS device as planning to do some euro races with it this year but had not had time to fit a harness bar before race so was not using it. Helmet   was fine after crash and inspected by BARC/ MSA.

I had a standard battery mounted using standard 2cv battery restraint (nut and spring on side mounted rods) - the battery was found around 10 metres from car. I will use a more robust battery bracket in future.

Nick

Nick clarke

Thanks for posting the pics and info Nick lots of food for thought,

Chris Yates

Quick video of the 1st lap shunt from the very back of the grid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9GgCc6fO4

If for some reason Youtube is showing the full 35 minute version (it says it has edited it down), go to about 14:00 to see the start

Paul

I thought the flat bar was supposed to be welded to the floor and bolted through the chassis.

RLambert

Nick, on my gopro footage your right front wheel is in the middle of the kerb so you were well on the matting. I'll post my footage tonight so you can see. Did you get tapped from behind?

Maisie

I've posted my photos of the first corner incident to the racing club's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.807884939287003.1073741879.101549509920553&type=1

I'm sure Chris will put my pics on this site as a gallery in next next couple of days too.
Blueberry Tart ;)

Suzanne P

Blimey!! :o :o

I am so glad that everybody escaped with only severe bruising. Cars can be replaced; humans can't.

Thanks for the photos & videos posted so far; I couldn't make it to the race meeting and I was horrified when I received a message asking what had happened & why did the 2CV race need the Air Ambulance. Needless to say I feared the worst.

It is interesting to see the damage sustained to the various cars involved. I am shocked by the damage to Nick's car.

Matthew Hollis

Glad everybody escaped with relatively minor injuries, the angle of Nick's seat is scary.

I've also got footage of the main impact, Sammie was clearly unsighted as she only starts braking metres before she sees it. I'm not surprised by the damage having seen the video. Will try and post it tonight.

Trevor Williams

Having seen the photos, can I just add my thanks to whomever was looking over everyone on Saturday!! That could have been a lot worse!

Paul, The regs aren't very clear on the subject of the cross bar. If you (the tech bods) feel that they should be tightened up I would suggest getting a clear bulletin issued by BARC.

Can I also suggest that if the club is thinking of doing any fundraising, a very deserving target for any cash would be any air ambulance service that is near a circuit? (we had to call them twice over the weekend at Silverstone)

Stay safe, heal quickly, metal can be repaired, and see you all at Brands
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul

This is what this years regs are supposed to say but have not been signed off by the MSA as far as i am aware Trev. http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/images/documents/2015/C2CVRC-2015-rule-changes-RH-amendment.docx

Trevor Williams

Thanks Paul,

That definitely is not on the published copy of the regs
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!