Main Menu

Coverage in the racing press

Started by Martin Harrold, August 06, 2007, 22:06:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

Nothing much gets into any newspaper or magazine these days without a little nudging from someone, somewhere. If you read race reports, you'll see that they are often written by the same people.
 I don't know who covered the Silverstone race for Autosport, but Peter Scherer does a lot of reports from there. It can often pay for someone to take a little time to find out who is doing the report, seek him out and have a chat. Race control will usually know. Writers are given a limited number of words to cover a meeting, and try to squeeze in as much interesting stuff as they can. So, feed them interesting stuff !
 At Snetterton, it's usually Oliver Timson who does the reports for Autosport and Lewis Beales for Motorsport News and the local radio and press media. I assume that I'm not the only one who takes time to chat to them, give them a cuppa, etc.  This year, Ollie was delighted to find that he'd been given 500 words for the 24hr. With Deputy News Editor Edd Straw driving for us, Autosport always tries to find a little extra space for 2CVs.
 The double-page spread in Autosport on his experiences in the 24hr by Gary Watkins was beautifully written, but it could not have happened without John Davies helping him into the race seat.
 With those 500 words from Ollie and the double page spread, I think 2CV's have had pretty good coverage in Autosport this year; quite a lot more than most club series.
 As with most things in life, there's generally little benefit in moaning about a problem. Much better to identify it and look for simple solutions.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Derek Coghill

Hi Martin; not really moaning about a problem as much as criticising Autosport's coverage of a 2-day meeting (Silverstone) inasmuch as they talked about the F3 race and nothing else.

Dick Roberts

Hello Martin

If you and your colleagues have gone to the trouble (and quite right -well done) to compile racing reports - why not give them to the club's web site?

Best wishes

Frank Barnard

Some of you might have noticed a desultory attempt by a very few to report 'their' races at Silverstone. Maybe, instead of expecting one person to file a story, drivers could compile a brief post-event summary, in the manner of World War 2 pilots after an ops. Quickly done but viewed together an interesting patchwork of what went on.

Martin Harrold

Dick, I think perhaps you mis-understood me.
 Oliver Timpson, is, I think an accountant, who does race reports for Autosport. Lewis Beales is a lecturer in motor engineering, and is a freelance motorsport journalist.
 I'm afraid that I don't have access to their race reports for the club to use.
2CV Team LION

Dick Roberts

Martin

"This year, Ollie was delighted to find that he'd been given 500 words for the 24hr. With Deputy News Editor Edd Straw driving for us"

Couldn't these 500 words have been copied to the Clubs web site - am I missing something?

Martin Harrold

Dick,
No, not all - I don't think I, or anyone else, though of copying that report to the website. I'm sure that there would be no problem in now doing so. It would be appropriate to acknowldege it as Copyright - Autosport.
For that matter, I'm sure that Gary Watkins article might also be posted, but possibly better as a scanned .pdf.
Martin
2CV Team LION

Aubrey Brocklebank

I would be happy to offer a co-drive to a suitably qualified member of the press (preferably not from Top Gear!) if they will give us a write up. At present this could be Mallory or Pembrey. ANY SUGGESTIONS INTODUCTIONS?
Aubrey

Nigel Hollis

Ironically, the best race report I've seen recently was by Peter Scherer in Motorsport News May 16th issue of the non-championship race at  Stowe -almost half a page with excellent photo(cars 4 & 7) plus profile of Helen Deeley!