Main Menu

Silverstone

Started by Paul Robertson, July 23, 2007, 08:56:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Robertson

What a cracking pair of races ,talking to gary byatt i said it reminded me of 1998 when there were lots of evenly matched cars .Seven cars all battling for the podium positions was just fantastic.Roll on mallory park ,i can't wait.

Trevor Williams

Can't agree more with Paul! Both races were great fun, very cleanly contested and a good advert for the technical changes that have been made over the past few years
And if I can win, in my car, with my engine, ANYONE CAN!!!!

Roll on Mallory and Pembrey!!

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

helen deeley

That was an awesome weekend! I had a fantastic time, learnt a shedload more and I can't wait for the remaining races! (but I'm not saying roll on  :lol: )
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Derek Coghill

Thoroughly enjoyed myself, not least the last few laps tailing the first three around! And I got home just after 11......

Marc Fenner

From a spectators view the races were one of the best races i hace seenin a long time. Nobody knew who was going to be in the lead from lap to lap.

Matt Riley

You're not wrong there Marc - I know I didn't expect to be leading the second lap on Sunday's race after starting on the back row of the grid! :shock:

Just to reiterate Trevor - what great clean racing - being in a group of six cars barrelling into corners three abreast and coming out the other side without the tiniest bit of contact is a lot of fun....

Nick Roads

a bit lonely at the back but great fun nevertheless

an improvement in design for the oil breather bottle in race 1 did not help - it could not breathe and oil found its way out all over the brakes and chassis

Starting with the handbrake partly on for the first 3 laps in race 2 was not a good idea either. Nor perhaps redesigning the bottle by drilling some holes then failing to actually fit it. Given the breather hose was aiming at the exhaust quite lucky not to have caught fire.

all excuses at the end of the day - the better drivers won.

Frank Barnard

If ever proof was needed that the Club must survive, Silverstone was it.
Fantastic racing, both in-car and from the pit wall. In the early stages of Race 2 I enjoyed a mighty dice with Sammie Fritchley and Aubrey Brocklebank. Fuel starvation on the exit from Copse required a little extra effort on the corners until, at Woodcote, I went for an admittedly marginal gap between Sammie & the pit wall. What do they say? A racing incident, but at least it gave SF the chance to make a break, albeit with a flapping rear wing. Later, for lap after lap, AB and I circulated inches apart, particularly down the main straight where honour required the margin to be the width of a coat of paint.
On top of this, the Silverstone Summit provided what looks like an excellent formula for the future. If the proposals for the re-introduction of sprint races are accepted, I think we can expect some memorable wheel-to-wheel battles to the flag next season, with such a closely-matched pack.

David Sullivan

Frank, I think you were battling with Helen Deeley as she had to have her rear wing taped back on during her pitstop.

Superb weekend of racing, i can believe that me & sammie got 3rd in the first race with a damaged stearing rack that i managed to do in qualifying.

The second race was the best i have ever been involved in, having been clipped into a semi-spin on lap 2 by my own Tete Rouge team-mate, i spent 10 laps catching up with the leading pack & even managed to get upto 3rd at one point. I also witnessed possibly the best overtaking move ever by Wayne Cowling, From 4th to 1st going into becketts, squeezing into a gap between the pit exiting Helen Deeley & leader Steve Panas.

I still cant believe that before the pitstops there was a 7 car train at the front, should be exciting next year if 25 minute races are adopted, close finishes sound good to me.

Frank Barnard

Oops. Blame the red mist. Did I commiserate with the wrong woman?

helen deeley

Dont worry bout it Frank, you did look a bit sheepish in the paddock afterwards when you came to say hello! And it didnt do me any harm! I suppose it was poetic justice coz I walloped Davids rear wing trying to stuff the car up the inside at Becketts a few laps before!  :roll:
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

David Sullivan

I was disappointed you didn't look across at me going down the back straight, i was doing to wave at you to thank you for the damage!  :lol:

Ben Allan

Can I suggest that we now move to super-sprints of 8 laps?  Not only will these short races be very cheap, the length also happens to coincide with how long my car lasts and had we done this at Silverstone I would have got 4th.

Alternatively I could buy some new stuff for the car.........

b

Paul Robertson

Good idea ben ,my temporary repair at croft was after all supposed to be just that ,a temporary repair for CROFT.

Frank Barnard

Quote from: helen deeleyDont worry bout it Frank, you did look a bit sheepish in the paddock afterwards when you came to say hello! And it didnt do me any harm! I suppose it was poetic justice coz I walloped Davids rear wing trying to stuff the car up the inside at Becketts a few laps before!  :roll:
I always look sheepish Helen. And I even recall I said sorry, when you told me it had been your corner 'cos you were leading. There's a French phrase: ' Le pensee sur l'escalier.' The thought on the stairs, i.e what you wished you'd said. Which was, in this, case: ' But you did leave a bit of a gap, Helen, and leaned on me.' Naturally I was far too gentlemanly (and sheepish) to say such a thing, concluding it had been that famous thing, a racing incident...but it was a memorable moment as we both held our line cloaked in a cloud of burning tyre smoke (great drive by the way, congrats). See you at Mallory, if I'm fast enough...