Main Menu

Grid Sizes 2008

Started by Andrew Bull, October 09, 2007, 08:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Rice

It's a while since I last checked, but measurements, LED spec etc, were all identical to DT units.

I guess you pays your money etc. etc.

Simon Crook

Hi Bob

Do you/Have you used this with a resistor, if so what size.

thanks

Simon
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Trevor Williams

Note to all, the MSA have officially postponed the implementation of the rule on FIA homologated rain lights until 2009 at the earliest
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Nathan Pasho

Bob, are those wired for 12 volts?

OK, found the spec sheet.  9 through 12.5 volts

http://www.us.kingbright.com/images/catalog/SPEC/BL0307-50-44.pdf

Bob Rice

Hi Nathan,

Yes they are, I a have one fitted as a hi intensity fog light on my Caterham, and we ran one as a brake light on the 2CV this year (Keith and/or Steve could tell you more).
I haven't used a resistor on the Caterham, and have had no problems, whether or not Keith has used a resistor on the 2CV i'm afraid I don't know.
Hope this helps, Happy New Year to everyone.

Nathan Pasho

The prices in UK are absurd.   The same "Ultimate Rain Light" that DT sells is over here for $50 USD.  And the Kingbright light is $10.50 USD.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=133,53,363_1202&action=product

Of course postage may eat the difference.

Ken Hanna

Bob,
according to Maplin's FAQ, these lights need a 10 ohm resistor to trim the voltage down to 9.6v.  
Knowing how difficult it can be to get staff these days, I'd guess that they've done their calculations using 12 volts for the car's system.
Since that is actually 14.4 volts when on charge, a slightly higher resistance is probably in order to ensure a reasonable life for the leds.  
A diode to protect against accidental reverse polarity mightn't be a bad idea either...
Ken.

Quote from: Bob RiceHi Nathan,

Yes they are, I a have one fitted as a hi intensity fog light on my Caterham, and we ran one as a brake light on the 2CV this year (Keith and/or Steve could tell you more).
I haven't used a resistor on the Caterham, and have had no problems, whether or not Keith has used a resistor on the 2CV i'm afraid I don't know.
Hope this helps, Happy New Year to everyone.