Main Menu

ADVICE - typical cost to run a season including 24hr event

Started by Nigel Fitsimmonds, December 01, 2007, 20:12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel Fitsimmonds

HI - my first post so please accept my ignorance.

I am looking to get into motorsport again before too old and would like some advice on the typical cost to run a car for a season.

Can anyone help with estimates of - Total costs to get necessary licences, cost of approved overalls and helmet, typical cost to purchase a competative car, entry fees per race, runnung costs etc...

I would like to put together a team in 2008, shareing drives, and intend to visit the 1st race (when announced) to meet and chat before purchasing or possibly renting for a season.

Cheers - Nigel

pat collier

hi

it looks like the cost of entry for all the races except 24 hour is £1000.. that is merely the hearsay I have understood, but I may be slightly wrong..

work on a £1100 to rent or about £850 phead if in your own car for the 24hours

suit £220  helmet £70 boots £30... then you have travelling and accomodation......

so a season with your own car including the 24 hours looks like being from
£2500   plus the initial £350 for personal kit and the initial £150 to get a licence first time around....

You might be able to do it cheaper but not by much.... also it might be a bit more if you are either unlucky or clumsy at the driving/mechanical breakages....

cars go from £2000-£5000 depending upon spares and how fast/how many wins etc etc

Others may have different numbers so hopefully someone else will give you their expereince...

On balance Motorsport is not free or cheap on any level  but once you have accepted that... these 2cvs will give you all the challenges and fun that any other formula would give  but you exchange outright speed for close racing... it is the only form of racing I have done where 3-4 into a corner is the norm and where 3-4 of you come out the other side again...

have fun  good luck

Nigel Fitsimmonds

Thanks for the info Pat ...

So approx cost for a season excluding consumables and damage around £3,000 and a car £2-5,000 dependant upon pedigre.

When is the 1st race of the season? probably best I (we) come to watch and see if anyone has a suitable vehicle for sale and look it over.

In the meantime I'd better get a licence ...

Ben Cannon

Some good info there Pat cheers, This is also my first post and looking to get into the sport.
I've been looking round for the best place to take the ARDS course / test, they all seem to be around the £400 mark, could you reccomomend somewhere that is a bit more reasonable, I've heard along the grape vine that it can be done for approx £150.  :)

Trevor Williams

Unfortunately, I think they are all around the £350 to £400 price these days.
Where are you in the country?
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Nick Roads

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/trackdays/trackdays-ards.asp
ARDS can be a little lower cost try above or ring MSA

In relation to 2 cv racing and costs etc try the main webiste and link here
http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/overview/racingrequirements.htm
- costs of around £ 5000 for the car and 1 driver per annum sound right given my experience over 2 years. This assumes you have no equipment or knowledge about driving anything other than a desk like me . If you do the costs can be lower.

Extra drivers cost around £ 1250 each per annum if you include eqpt etc over 2 years if they do 24 hour and 1 or more other races so you can reduce/ split the cost that way as well

Derek Coghill

I reckon I've spent about £1100 this year, plus entry fees and fuel. That does include buying a shell, a cage, an engine and 4 tyres, though. A couple of sets of valve springs, oil and filters, usual maintenance stuff. And a steering arm (didn't buy one, actually; there's a new one kicking about the garage somewhere. Haven't found it yet.).

£4000 in entry fees (ouch), roughly 800 miles travel to and from each meeting (some more, some less - about 4800 miles), a tank and a bit for the racer at each one. 600 litres of diesel? 340 litres of petrol?

It all adds up in quite a scary manner........

Ben Allan

Paul Robertson

entry fees for this season excluding the 24hr should be circa £1150 .

helen deeley

I havent dared add up what I've spent this year, but including ARDS, licences, medical, club memberships, entry fees, hire fees, fuel for car & van, clothing, testing etc I think its in region of £8k.  :shock: Biggest chunk of that was entry fees for endurance races, looks like 2008 fees will be about 1/3 of the cost!  :)
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Trevor Williams

I daren't add up the cost of this years racing, what with entry fees, testing, fuel, running costs of the motorhome, new gearbox in the motorhome (including taking it out and putting it back in twice at least!), repairs to the motorhome side and new awning etc the number would start with a 1 and have four more high numbers after it! Doesnt bear thinking about!
But it was TOTALLY worth every penny!!!!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Geoff Archer

Nigel this is here just down the road from you, come take a look
in fact book a track day at croft/teeside and try before you buy

Ecas the Return is for sale
the most successful 2cv racer available at the moment
the history of this car goes with out question,
Championships in 97/98/99/04
24 hr wins in 98/2001/02/04/07

http://photos-263.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v154/94/112/680096263/n680096263_509602_7351.jpg

overhauled before 2007 24hr race, shocks overhauled before snet,
new exhaust before snet, rebuilt gearbox and rack before snet, new battery before snet, belguim arms before snet, the list goes on, this car is ready to race now, no work needed, just fill with fuel and drive.
this car is as finished the 24 hr, been washed though and hid lighting took off. to prove this the car can be booked in for testing at buyers cost/insurance if needed.
this car needs no work on it at all
comes with spares and 2 engines
£5000 contact ed mason or geoff archer , for the bargin of the year

no other car is out there at this spec ready to go, start the season running
at present the cars at our workshop in northallerton and can be viewed at any time
ed 07768 244310
geoff 07778 644749
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Derek Coghill

Just noticed the "again" in the original post; how long is it since you had a race licence, and what grade was it?*

Look at E 2.15 of the blue book; you may only have to do the written part of the ARDS test.

*If you never had a race licence, ignore the above....