Main Menu

20 years of 2cv racing

Started by Paul Robertson, January 15, 2008, 09:46:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

I think Marc's idea of chatting with the organiser of Silverstone Classic for '09 is great.

High-end cars are fascinating and essential to the event. But, we could be the 'fun race'. Organiser is Roger Etcells of Motion Works. The event is scheduled again for the last weekend of July.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Frank Barnard

I also think Marc's idea is excellent, having just watched wall-to-wall coverage of the event on Motors TV. No chance for me of competing in one of the exotics, but an outside possibility I guess of sharing in a fabulous meeting at the wheel of a trusty Dersh...

Marc Fenner

Well it be great if we can do it! Over 50 thousand people on the sunday! Never seen so many women at a race track either! lol :P

helen deeley

Quote from: Marc Fenner on July 29, 2008, 21:48:21
Never seen so many women at a race track either! lol :P
Ulterior motives marc? lol  :D
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Marc Fenner

It was actually really nice though seeing more girls out racing.  Most seem to have rich daddy's or husbanmds though. Nothings changed there then! hehe ;D

Trevor Williams

Before everyone starts getting over-excited, can I suggest a bit of clarity here?

Firstly, the historic race meeting is on the full circuit at silverstone. We do the National circuit in 1:30, so imagine how long the lap would be? Dull, dull, dull
Secondly, look at the races and entries that were there. Do you really think that we would even get a sniff of the chance of a race? Get real!

Just because the club has changed its name doesn't make us an historic race series! It just means we have changed our name!!

The historic event is a major thing at Silverstone, so god knows how much it costs to put on, but you can be assure that it would be a very long way north of the cost of our 24 hour race (which in itself is a not inconsiderable sum of money!

I fully support the wish to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the club, but lets do it somewhere where we have the control of what we do
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Marc Fenner

I was there with the porshe 944 and believe the entree fees were the same as normal. Think it was about £600 for 2 x 25min races but will find out.
Other cars that were there included minis, hilmans etc of course there were there seriously expensive cars.

Trev is right though it is a big event with 50k odd people there. Silverstone seemed to put a lot of effort into the event.
If we decide to apply for it we will have to have a very good reason for them to let us in. Looking at the other cars that were there our cars would match the quality of the cars that are there. There were some scruffy ones and some that looked like toys!

Surely its worth having a go?

Also is it worth trying goodwood? I know it invitation only but if you don't ask you don't get! This year has shown he have the numbers and fantastic racing! ;D

Andy Craig-Smith

Cuckoo  ;D
Rocket Dog Racing

Marc Fenner

Sorry for the crap ideas will shut up and not suggest anything else! Only ideas

Frank Barnard

Well done Trevor & Andy. I think we called it 'Not invented here' when I worked in agencies.
Some great ideas came out of such imagination. And I think they knew how to spell 'cuckoo'...

Martin Harrold

Let's not fight over it. Yes, we need imagination - for every 100 ideas any organisation has, 95 will go in the bin - one never knows which will work out. On the other hand, we also must be aware of practicalities, as Trev points out.

It has only been suggested that someone from the club goes along and has a chat with Roger. You never know what might emerge. As a minimum, we could probably put on a static display. Clubs like ours will be queueing at his door, but some might just take his fancy.

More practically, now that we have a, hopefully warmer, August date at Snet, surely there are many more possiblities for building our own 24hr event into something bigger. Currently, it does not seem to interest MSV or BARC to put on support races any more interesting than BARC F Renault etc. If we could get a motors event promoter on our side, then maybe things could change.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

helen deeley

Dont lose your enthusiasm for pushing these things marc, they're not crap ideas, maybe just a bit beyond us at the moment  :)
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Frank Barnard

Good stuff Andy. I like your swift edit!

mark turner Whitwell Motorsport

After a fantastic weekends racing at spa, is it not possible for the club to organise and partly fund a weekend at spa. The track and facilities are second to none! What a way to celabrate 20 years!! ;D
Winners of the Snetterton 24hr 2011
Winners of the Snetterton 24hr 2012