Main Menu

Radio Fine Print 87.7fm

Started by Martin Harrold, June 30, 2008, 21:41:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

I'm delighted to say that the RSL licence for Radio Fine Print was granted today. It will broadcast throughout the 24hr on 87.7fm.

It will help keep everyone at the circuit, marshals, officials, race teams, support crews and of course, the thousands of spectators, up to date on what is happening in the race.

Commentators will be Alan Hyde and local motoring journo Lewis Beales as last year, joined for the first time by Matt James, of Motorsport News.

Support for the station has generously been offered by Crusader Vans (Keith Shoebridge) tba (Nick Roads) and German inkjet paper company, Tecco.

There will be no studio truck this year - we found out that the actual equipment is about the size of a couple of shoeboxes! It will be housed in either the commentary tower or in the general office.

Ear radios, pre-tuned to 87.7fm will be available for £5 each. We are hoping to arrange a webcast.

If anyone has any ideas to enhance or develop the radio station, then please post them here. During the event, the commentators always welcome anyone who visits their eyrie to talk about their race or anything else which might be interesting.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Chris Yates

Excellent news Martin, well done to all involved :)

And nice to have that Alan Hyde chap back again ;)

Chris Yates

Many thanks once again Martin, for organising Radio Fine Print. I have to say I thought the service was invaluable, particularly when the PA system goes off in the evening. Having the commentary piped through the radio adds so much to the atmosphere of the event, and gives everyone involved a good idea of what's been going on - particularly what's happening in the pits, and who's doing well (or badly) on track.

I think it's particularly important to keep the marshals informed as to what's going on - listening to the radio (and talking to Alan) certainly kept me awake through the night, and I hope it kept the marshals alert and entertained as well.

I know it's often a chore to organise funding for the radio transmission, but please keep it going next year - it's become so much of a key part of the 24hr :)

Paul Robertson

Well said chris i agree whole heartedly.
paul

helen deeley

I know my folks appreciated being able to keep up with what was going on, thank you!  ;)
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Martin Harrold

Thanks for all the kind words. We learnt a lot last year and this years was much easier to set up as everyone involved now knows the ropes. We reduced the cost quite a bit as well, and Nick Roads / M2 and Keith Shoebridge / Crusader Vans very kindly chipped in a bit, which helped.
  The radio certainly helps the marshals know what's going on - which means that they feel much more involved in the event.
  There's no reason why it should not go on air again next year. A couple more sponsors would help, though. I'd also like to get a webcast set up and if anyone can help me on that, then please get in touch.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Martyn Daniel

Just a quick note to agree with what has already been said.  Apart from being informative, I was in hysterics for most of the night, as it was like being in a lift with Alan Partridge for 24 hours!  Informative and entertaining, exactly what it should have been!

Dean Watson

As one of the marshals, yes the radio fine print was fantastic, and much better than last year, it realy did help keep us on the ball through the night and was realy entertaining and funny. well done, and thank you for providing us with radios again. I speak for all the marshals that were at Snett, when I say thank you and more of the samenext year please ;D ;D ;D