Main Menu

2009 Regulations

Started by Trevor Williams, February 27, 2009, 15:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Williams

Simon,
If the failure is down to the club, then no you won't. I am going to the Race Retro show and will ask Aubrey to arrange to have a load of number backgrounds available so can pick you up a set. You only get the door ones, so have to provide the bonnet one yourself
As for the badges, unless the club can prove to you that they comply with the FIA regulations (Nomex backed etc), DO NOT sew them onto your race suit. You will have more chance of your race suit not being approved by the scrutineer if you do!!
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Simon Crook

Hi Trevor

thanks for that, I am hoping to get to Race Retro, if Aubrey has them with him I can collect them. As for the bonnet one ( I didn't know we had to have one on it :o) is there a list of what we should have on teh car so I can see what's missing.

The other thing I'm worried about is the scrutineer's seal on the engine, not sure if i have the right bolt with the hole in it, and can this be fitted on the day?
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Trevor Williams

Simon
Number placement is dealt with in the Blue Book. One on each side, plus one on the front (bonnet) i think. The actual number on the bonnet must be able to be seen by the timekeepers, so it must be able to be rad from the right side (except for Snetterton where the timekeepers are on the left side)

Engine seal - so long as the top 7mm bolt on the engine has a hole (2 - 3 mm iI think) you will be ok. Three of my engines all need them, it is up to the scrutineer to do them (if he is aware that we require it of him - yet again we seem to have a new one this year)

Trevor

Derek Coghill

Just to clarify a bit; it's up to you to make sure that the bolt has a hole in the end (the long one on the top of the crankcase - drill a hole in the bit that protrudes beyond the nut) and it's up to the scrutineer to fit the seal.

Simon Crook

Thanks Trevor & Derek

I will have a look in the Blue Book and at the engine................

Cheers
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Roy Eastwood

Most obvious improvement is the ability to rev. the engine with impunity, to get the power where the 2cv engine produces it naturally, i.e. quite high up the range, this will of course require more work on a rolling road to achieve.

And of course no more broken valves due to float.

It is really the control cam that should have been introduced right away all those years ago.

This doesn't mean I approve of the strange sudden appearance but I'm certainly interested to get the Ecas racer out to play with one of the billet cams.

Quote from: Trevor Williams on March 05, 2009, 21:37:56
Roy, any chance you could enlighten us as o the potential performance gain of using a billet cam? I know nothing about engineering (as a lot of people will tell you!!)

Cheers

Trevor

Steve Cowell

Just wondered why no one from the tech commitee has posted to enlighten us when the rules were passed ?????
The older I get,the faster I was (not)

Mary Lindsay

Martin Harrold

Come on, let's think this through. At least one person on the tech committee must have written down the changes to the club tech rules and sent them to BARC, as an email, a fax or a letter. They are pretty cute down there, but I doubt that they are telepathic as well. So, all we have to do is to ask Nicola for a copy of that. We can anticipate that she might now have difficulty finding her copy.

But, being realistic, my guess is that the Cub needs to remedy the situation before the first race. Otherwise, any member could formally query why the changes had been made in the BARC published regs when there is no matching minute from a C2CVRC AGM authorising them. I recall that Trevor used to say that all suggestions for tech amendments to be voted on at the AGM had to be submitted three months in advance. If this issue became public, it might make us look foolish in the eyes of BARC, MSA and others and could threaten the future of the Championship.

I'm no expert on tech stuff and Dicky is away just now. One change is said by others to legalise a common cheat (not on our manifolds it doesn't), the chassis thing is just poorly worded, and machining cams from billet is something that is presumaby already happening, otherwise why did anyone write it into the reg amendments without proper consultation? We can presume that Kent are not briefed to ask questions about the source of a cam 'blank'.

I suggest that the Committee considers the options to remedy the situation retrospectively.

Frankly, our team is not too fussed about all this - we just enjoy going racing and all that entails, chasing the dream of another podium with not too much optimism. But, it is a bit sad when it appears that club rules and procedures may have been blatantly ignored by at least one person near the top.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Ken Hanna

Perhaps it's a case of the tail attempting to wag the dog?
I'm not in a position to comment on the other items which Trevor listed, but seem to recall that in order to obtain approval from the Club ( not the Technical Committee alone) for my chassis, there was a list of requirements specified.

Iirc, amongst these was the stipulation that the race chassis should be as close as possible in form and construction to that which was being marketed for road use, thus ruling out any 'exotic' solutions.

Torsion and beam strength tests were also carried out, to prove the chassis' suitability for racing.

Last but not least, it was stipulated that the price should be the same as the Frome race chassis and the OE Citroen item, presumably to avoid triggering a price war.
( Genuine Citroen chassis are still available, as well as SLC.)

I'd be very interested to know if these criteria have been relaxed, or simply ignored, by the current Technical Committee in this instance. 

Ken                 

Trevor Williams

Martin
The deadline for Tech Reg changes to be submitted hasn't changed, it is the 1st July.

I understand the reasoning behind the billet camshaft was to keep control of the cost of getting a camshaft done. If anyone has been using a billet cam in previous years, then they are a cheat, simple as that

I understand that the chassis change is due to the non availability of the Frome chassis

The manifold and brake pipe issues are both performabce enhancing in my opinion.

As I stated above, none of these were voted on at the AGM

It's down to the committee to resolve.

My entry to the championship is dependant on the outcome.

Cheers
Trevor

Paul Robertson

The regs used to say a 2cv racing club camshaft must be used no more no less,therefore if the camshaft comes from kent cams and is a 2cv racing club grind it is legal.Nowhere does it say it must be reground from an original cam.
Paul
Oh and i am definitely not a cheat.

Trevor Williams

Paul
I know you are not!!

And I agree that that is what the regs used to say. However, below is the method of obtaining a 2CV Racing Club Camshaft

http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/technical/camshaft

Nowhere in there does it mention billets, only that you send your camshaft to Kent for them to re-grind

With my nasty bastard hat on (you know the one!) if any protest was brought before me, I would uphold it on that basis

Speak to you later

Trevor

Paul Robertson

Advice ,not even written by an officer of the club ,that forms no part of our regs .They don't even suggest you check the website for ways of obtaining a racing club cam.

Trevor Williams

Beg to differ Paul.
It was written by an officer of the club, me. It should be communicated in the "membership pack" as it has been in previous years. The Camshaft Scheme has never been rescinded, therefore its still active.  ;D

I will give you a call later when I am stuck in the M3 roadworks

Trevor