Main Menu

2009 Regulations

Started by Trevor Williams, February 27, 2009, 15:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

Err, have I missed a posting?

Or, is whoever sent the note with the changes to the regs to BARC keeping very, very quiet? They obviously know who they are, and a reasonable guess is is that they did not act alone. It is surely up to the Technical Committee to either reveal the sender or all resign.

Is a billet cam in the spirit of the regulations of low cost racing? - most members would think not.

Surely, it is implicit in the regulations that all parts must be sourced from Citroen unless specifically stated otherwise. Under the general all-embracing rule that "if it does not say you can, then you can't" then a billet cam must be against the letter of the rules and certainly the spirit. I'm sorry Paul, but under that rule, your defence of a billet cam simply does not stand up.

Our new scrutineer will no doubt be very interested to take a view on the matter. At last, we might see some engines being dismantled. 

Roy - for the information of all members, can you estimate here how much a billet cam would cost?

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Trevor Williams

Martin
There is no reason for anyone to resign. The committee are endeavouring to sort this as far as I am aware. Once a solution has been agreed, I expect it will be communicated

Trevor

Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Aubrey Brocklebank

The board decided to edit the regulations prior to the 2008 AGM in order to clarify any elements of the rules that were proving to be unclear with the secondary aim of reducing costs where possible. 

Item 9.1 of the articles of association states "the business of the club shall be managed by the board who may exercise all the powers of the club."  Whilst it would not be our intention to make any major changes to the regulations without consulting the membership it would not be ultra vires for us so to do. 

Following publication of the regulations, 5 points have been raised which have now been discussed by the board.  It has been decided by the board to further amend three of those points.  The BARC will shortly be issuing an amendment bulletin.

If anyone has any issues with any of these points then please contact directly a member of the board.
Aubrey

Trevor Williams

Surely, as we only have TWO weeks till the first race, it would be an idea to post what the changes are?

And since when did the club become a dictatorship? In my reading of the Articles, Memorandum and Club Rules, Technical changes are part of the Agenda for the AGM and HAVE to be voted on at the AGM

helen deeley

If it was discussed PRIOR to the AGM, how come it wasnt mentioned before?
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Paul Robertson

"Consider any proposals or recommendations made by the Technical Sub-Committee;"

Martin Harrold

To be fair, it does seem that the Board is actually getting on with the job of managing the clubs affairs very efficiently, and I'm sure that it is very time consuming, so well done to all those involved.

However, I do think that a tad more open communication would be in order, for as Trev says, it would be helpful to know what the five issues are now, rather than wait for BARC to issue a note.

On a small point, I've read the Blue Book - and find I'll need some new overalls for next year. That apart, under Night Racing, there is an old clause which says that all cars must have a number on the back, on a vertical panel (so not the sloping part of the bodywork) and illuminated. Many of the night racing rules are a bit vague and largey ignored. Is this one to be be ignored, again?

2CV Team LION

Paul Robertson

No martin ,you were supposed to have one either in the top corner of the rear screen or on the back panel to my recollection.Last year it was requested that we had full size numbers on the bootlid (so the marshals can identify the cars from behind ) which we talked ourselves out of.It may well be that we may have to do something about it this year though.
Paul

Trevor Williams

Martin
The night racing requirements haven't changed recently. So long as the Clerk is happy with what is included in the Supplementary Regs thats all that matters. The regs aren't vague, and I assure you are not ignored.

As for new race suits, glad you noticed. I'm sure there will be a few at the first race of 2010 (not just in 2CVs) that will be shocked when they aren't allowed to race because their overalls are out of date!!

Also, check your crash hat, I think the BS6658 Type A approval and Snell2000 is withdrawn at the end of this year too

Cheers

Trevor

Martin Harrold

Paul: The smaller race number on the rear, the same size as the one by the passenger side window, seems to work well enough. But maybe it would be more easily read if it was black numbers on a white circular background. That would not be hard to do. My question was about the reg which apparently requires them to be vertical and illuminated.
Let's not insist on a full size number on the boot lid - otherwise where would we put the sponsors' message

Trev: I did also check my helmet, and that will still be OK in '10. But that is only because it is A/F, not A.
2CV Team LION

Paul Robertson

I thought reflective, and the marshals could shine a lamp at the rear of the car to help pick out the number.

Martin Harrold

Paul - I'll see if I can get a price for 30 reflective discs. Once the size is sorted, teams could get their own race numbers cut to suit. But, if we're talking torches, then it might be simpler to have black backgrounds and white numbers.
2CV Team LION

Simon Crook

My tickets for Silverstone arrived this morning ;D - no new regulation notes with them - should I worry about this ???
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Paul Robertson

Simon,don't worry :Enjoy.

Terry Scannell

Quote from: Paul Robertson on March 30, 2009, 09:34:41
No martin ,you were supposed to have one either in the top corner of the rear screen or on the back panel to my recollection.Last year it was requested that we had full size numbers on the bootlid (so the marshals can identify the cars from behind ) which we talked ourselves out of.It may well be that we may have to do something about it this year though.
Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry just catching up with this one and as Martin and Trevor quite correctly state the requirement in the Blue Book for Night racing is quite clear, however in past years it has not been enforced as such but I know that we have tried to encourage teams to provide full size numbers on a white (ideally reflective) backgound for three main reasons.

The first being to assist with identification of cars by marshals generally during the night section of the race, which in some incidents may be some distance from the nearest post.

Secondly, from my experience as Clerk normally involved in the 24hr (and in previous years an Observer out on the circuit), should we need to scramble the safety car at anytime, day or night, but more importantly during the night we will contact the Observer /Post Chiefs on Coram and Russell and ask them to inform us when the leading car passes their posts so that we can get the Safety Car onto the track between Senna & Riches in order to pick up the leader with the minimum number of other cars between the safety car and the leader. 

This can only work if the Observer/ Post Chiefs can see the numbers of the passing cars clearly. In the hours of darkness for an observer to be looking at the oncoming cars with headlights ablaze and perhaps (with due respect) poorly lit side numbers and with the cars possibly being in a bunch of traffic it is not always possible for them to identify the numbers of the car we need to pick up quickly. 

However if as has been suggested in the past that all cars had a white (reflective) background on the Left Hand Rear of the car with ideally regulation sized numbers the observers would be able to more clearly identify the numbers as the cars are exiting Coram and also Russell with the numbers being illuminated by the lights from the following cars. This would certainly help us avoid situations where we miss picking the leaders up correctly.

The third reason for the request was one of safety - should a car stop out on the circuit for whatever reason without lights or should a car have a failure of it's rear lights (does this happen??) the fact that there is a white (reflective) backgound again, that would be picked up by the lights of any approaching cars, will provide additional visability to drivers of the potential problem, perhaps stationary, vehicle on track.

By asking for the white background to be reflective we would avoid the need for any additional fixed illumination and wiring as I appreciate we need to avoid any unnecessary expense and work for competitors for this once a year event.

I hope this clarifies the logic for the request for rear numbers for this event. Any assistance teams can provide regarding this would be greatly appreciated by the team in Race Control.

Terry