Main Menu

2009 Regulations

Started by Trevor Williams, February 27, 2009, 15:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Williams

I know I wasn't asleep at the AGM, so can someone please tell me when the following regulation changes were put to the membership:

5.5 ...2CV City chassis obtained through Whitwell Motorsport
5.7 Camshaft: This may be either a reground camshaft or a new camshaft ground from a blank
5.7.5 Induction Systems: ..except it is permissible to narrow the manifold by cutting and rewelding on one side only to facilitate fitment to the cylinder heads
5.11.2 It is permissible to replace the brake pipes with flexible pipes

Interested to know why all of these have changed apart from 5.7 Camshaft, and got to say, not very happy they have.

Considering my entry now

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

News to me too trev.I can't believe the brake pipe,or manifold ones.and why do we need a chassis that looks like an slc but the shock mount is the lowest point?

Derek Coghill

I remember talking to someone about the manifold a while ago (can't remember who, though). I thought that we were already allowed flexi pipes at the rear? That changed a few years ago.

helen deeley

Paul I thought you were on the technical committee? This is sounding really fishy.....
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Paul Robertson

No helen,but i thought it would have come up at a commitee meeting ,maybe it did and i was asleep.

Roy Eastwood

Camshafts ground from a blank now legal! - brilliant (sic.) - glad to see that one was voted in, the performance increase will be immense, who is making these cams - anybody know?

It is clearly a 'must have'.

Trevor Williams

Roy
It wasn't even discussed at the AGM!!!! Nor were the other changes

Roy Eastwood

Hello Trevor,
I realise that and I'm surprised it has not been spoken about since - but also understand what performance enhancement is available as a result, interesting principle thought to introduce an expensive technical mod just before the season opens......wonder who supplies it?

Still hoping to get my car out at some time!

Quote from: Trevor Williams on March 04, 2009, 16:01:51
Roy
It wasn't even discussed at the AGM!!!! Nor were the other changes

Mary Lindsay

I am confused.
How did these changes come about if they are a surprise to established 2CV Racing Club committee members?

Andrew Bull

Firstly let me say that I have no knowledge or info about the changes to the regs (prior to reading them) and the manner in which they were brought about, as i was not a member last year and did not attend any of the club 'meetings'. Therefore i will not comment.  However as a active member this year, running a new driver to racing i have payed attention to these issues.   My comments / interpretations below..

1) Camshaft

REG 5.7 Paragraph 2

"A Classic 2CV Racing Club camshaft, supplied through the approved supplier, must be used. This may be either
a regound standard camshaft or a new camshaft ground from a blank......"

I fail to see how this can create a performance enhancement.  The Grind still has to be a C2CVRC camshaft and must be supplied by Kent Cams (the approved supplier). 

The only opportunity this allows (as i see it) is that we will have less problems with regrinding worn 2nd hand cams.  If Kent deem your cam too worn to grind you have to buy a new cam, then send that to them, get that ground.  As costs of second hand parts are currently spiralling to new highs and getting older and older (subsequently more worn) I assume that the 'blank' based camshaft would work out cheaper, and thats the reason for allowing it.  If you dont have a second hand cam and want a reground then you still have to buy the standard one first anyway.

2) On the subject of approved suppliers.....

I assume that the list of approved suppliers is / should be available to members somewhere.  I thought it would be with the membership pack / regs download.  As a longstanding racer I know where things are bought from, (as a new racer my driver does not) but now we can use any coil, who is the authorized supplier to buy from.  We also have named a supplier in the regs for the new chassis, but everywhere else the term authorised supplier is used.  Confused!  So the supplier cannot change now through the season if necessity dictates, as it is written in to the regs.  Consistency?  The opportunity for changes to the chassis to obtain a performance advantage is now there, as long as you buy it from Whitwell. Longer wheelbase anyone? Custom built chassis?

3)  Decals,

REG 6.3.5

"....An illustration showing all areas for championship graphics will be supplied with the 2009 Classic 2CV Racing
Club membership package and and failure to display designated graphics will contravene these regulations. "

I assume as this was not with my membership pack I can put stuff where I like.  I have a new club member / driver this year and we need to know where we can put his stickers. 

Regards 
Bully
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

helen deeley

Quote from: Andrew Bull on March 05, 2009, 09:15:48
Firstly let me say that I have no knowledge or info about the changes to the regs (prior to reading them) and the manner in which they were brought about, as i was not a member last year and did not attend any of the club 'meetings'.

I didnt know about them till I read the regs either- I know I missed the AGM but I was told there were no changes & nothing to vote on. To make these changes general knowledge only 5 or 6 weeks before the start of the season is very unfair when the majority of members  seem to know nothing about them  >:(
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Derek Coghill

<we need to know where we can put his stickers>

Apart from the obvious suggestion, I think there's a drawing (or perhaps there used to be) attached to the regs. I'll have a look and see if I can find one.

Trevor Williams

Derek, never been a drawing previously as far as I know

Bully, you can put stickers wherever you want, so long as you don't contravene 6.3.5 i to vii. Authorised supplier for the coil used to be ECAS, dont know if that is still the case.

And just for a bit of clarity, just because people have been running illegal, shortened manifolds for years doesn't make it correct to change the regs without voting on the Tech Committee's recomendations at the AGM, like it says we should do the the Club rules!

Roy, any chance you could enlighten us as o the potential performance gain of using a billet cam? I know nothing about engineering (as a lot of people will tell you!!)

Cheers

Trevor

Derek Coghill

I couldn't find a drawing anyway; it may have been in the very dim-and-distant past.

There's a bit at the end of the regs about parts of the car "owned" by the club for the attachment of sponsors' stickers. Front doors, the bit below the "A" panel and so on....a guideline rather than an absolute rule, I've found.

Simon Crook

IN BOLD

5.16 Numbers and Championship Decals:

5.16.1. Positions
To be eligible to score points in this Championship all vehicles must carry a BARC Shield on each side in an
unobscured position when viewed from a direct side elevation (assuming decals are available at the meeting
signing-on). Failure to have these in place at scrutineering will render the car ineligible.
Race numbers backgrounds shall be located, unmodified and in the intended orientation on the front doors and
bonnet as required by Section C(b) of the MSA Blue Book.
Competitors shall be required to locate, unmodified and in the intended orientation the decals of the Classic 2CV
Racing Club, any Championship sponsor and associates on the cars and on their racing overalls, in positions to
be notified.

5.16.2. Suppliers
Race number backgrounds for the front doors shall be provided to competitors through the Classic 2CV Racing
Club.

5.16.3. Driver Identification
All competitors shall display their name in both rear passenger windows of the car using white vinyl lettering.
Typeface to be Arial Black, first letter uppercase, 7cm high, following letters to be lowercase.
All competitors shall display their name on their race overalls in positions to be notified. Embroidered name
badges shall be provided to competitors through the Classic 2CV Racing Club.

I have most of the decals (I think) I don't have the following:

Race Number Backgrounds
Embroidered Name Badges

as it says "Failure to have these in place at scrutineering will render the car ineligible".

As we are only a few weeks away from the first meeting of the season, should I worry that that the car may fail scrutineering :o

So when do I get these ???

Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING