Main Menu

2009 Regulations

Started by Trevor Williams, February 27, 2009, 15:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Robertson

Martin Harrold

Terry:

Well put. I'm getting a price for 30 white reflective roundels,12" dia. Drivers would have to get their own numbers cut to fit as the admin for that part would be a nightmare. Do you mean passenger side or drivers side positioning on the back?

For an entirely different pupose, we are marketing a product a bit like that used on Le Mans cars which is an electro luminescent panel, as thin as a sheet of paper, running on 12v. It would mean that the numbers on the side of the car are black on a greenish white background. If you'll give your support to us testing it on our car in the '09 race, then we'll progress the idea.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Trevor Williams

Terry
No offence but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The Safety car will pick up whoever is behind it when it is sent out, if it can then release those who are between it and the leader so be it, but after being told at the briefing last year that that would happen, and then being told in the middle of the night that it would not, I don't see that it really matters.

If a competitor has trouble seeing a car on the track because his lights are not bright enough, he should be black and oranged flagged and not released till his lights are up to the job

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

Thing is trev we should insist that the leader is picked up ,not accept that the officials will just make token gestures towards running the race in a fair and proper manner.In my opinion if the officials can't do their job for what ever reason then that needs addressing.

Trevor Williams

Good point Paul, but with the safety car regs now, the imperative is to get the SC out no matter where the leader is. The problem as I see it in the 24 hour race will be people not catching the SC up. Once the race is neutralised you can use the timing info to work out how many cars are between the leader and the SC and instruct the SC observer to wave through that number

philip myatt

All it actually needs is a reliable method of the safety car waving cars through. This could be a green light system in the rear window, it would also seem reasonable as a back up to expect the race leader to know who he/she is and to hold position once he/she is behind the safety car.
Additionally we need consistency with instructions, if the CoC tells us that a certain process will take place it is not acceptable for that process to be changed in the middle of the night without informing all competitors of the need for a change and what the change is.

Trevor Williams

Philip, I totally agree with you regarding consistancy!! Don't want a repeat of last year!!

Steve Panas

I'd settle for a repeat of last year ;D

Mary Lindsay

Quoteit would also seem reasonable as a back up to expect the race leader to know who he/she is and to hold position once he/she is behind the safety car.
In an endurance race it is surely less important to pick up the race leader? Also, it is sometimes hard to know just what position your team is in and of course some drivers are quicker than others in the same team.
I would have thought that just picking up one of the cars by the safety car and then backing the field up so that it forms a train is the safest way in this race.

Derek Coghill

Mary, if the safety car picks up the leader then every one stays in the same relative position (albeit bunched up) unless they choose to pit.

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would ensue if the safety car came out in between the first and second cars, held up the second car and the leader was able to join the back of the train thus gaining a lap's cushion for free?

Mary Lindsay

Good point Derek, no doubt if our team is ever in a position where that becomes an issue I would view things differently! Meanwhile we will just keep plodding on.....

philip myatt

I've spoken with BARC today and had confirmation that we only need to do what we have done in previous years with the numbers, as long as we have the reflective backgrounds on the door numbers we'll be OK.

Philip