Main Menu

Radio Fine Print again at the 24hr

Started by Martin Harrold, March 22, 2009, 19:55:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Yates

Actually, I think that "150 users" logged in was just at one point during the commentary. In fact, at one point there was about 220 people watching the video link simultaneously!

Over the course of the weekend, over 1,100 individual people viewed the video streamed from the circuit, and more than 500 people tuned in to the commentary.

For such a last minute effort, I think that's an awesome result!

Regarding the car-to-pit communication (there's nothing provided for the other way 'round) - I really don't think it's an issue - with the engine noise in the car, there's no way of picking up on any voice communication. Ok, you could argue that hand signals could be seen, but they could be seen when you're coming past the pits anyway. And as Derek says, would be visible to all, so would be obvious if someone was abusing the system to their own ends.

Simon Crook

B**G*R I will have to remove the radio and speakers from the car now ???

Now there is one for the Tech Committee and I'm sure our scrutineer - in theory you could use a 'Road Legal' 2cv for racing (Spanners ;D) so if it had a radio fitted could you use it during the race as you are not it contact with your team/pit?
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Francis Rottenburg

Why not just get rid of that rule?  Everyone has a mobile phone nowadays and it wouldn't cost much to put a holder in the car and connect it to a headset.  Mind you, as someone who ran into the back of another car while trying to see what the time was on my watch..... I suspect I would at least be attempting to watch what I was doing and not pressing buttons on a phone!  ;D

Trevor Williams

Firstly because a mobile phone does not comply with the blue book regulation.

Secondly, you would then see an "arms race" whereby teams get radio communications in place, which would add another £1000 or so to the cost of doing the race.

By banning any form of comunication except hand signals, pit boards etc, the costs are lkept down

If we still did the two driver enduro races thogh, you could in theory use a radio in them!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Martin Harrold

With the obvious success of the video webcast trial showing real-time pictures from on-board cameras, and the technical and commercial possibility of having more of them in cars in the 2010 24hr, clearly the rule regarding 'electronic communication between car and pit' may have to be carefully reviewed by the committee during the next few months.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Derek Coghill

<the rule regarding 'electronic communication between car and pit' may have to be carefully reviewed>

I'm not sure if it does; the camera's not communicating with the pit, after all (at least, not first-hand) and the microphone could always be sited away from the driver so that no speech is audible. Most modern cameras have a "line in" facility for both audio and video.

Freefall_Artist

Talking of car - pit communications;

Quote from: Trevor Williams on August 28, 2009, 11:50:07
which would add another £1000 or so to the cost of doing the race.

Just to say that I use communication systems on my bike and the price you are looking at is not £1000. A good bike system from one of the big brands (which can also feature inputs for GPS, phone, radios, MP3, pillion passenger and noise cancellation) will cost substantially less. Even after buying a radio the bill can be less than £200 for a new system. Shop around and buy 2nd hand lowers brands and you could come away with a right bargain! Checking e-bay right now I found a full working set up for £90!
Name an adventurous activity and I'm probably done it; now I've just got to add motor racing to that!

Trevor Williams

Autocom system, good for bikes to bike etc, not good for racing. PMR 446 radios are open to all to listen to, and the helmet kits aren't uo to the job either. And a crew headset is £400+

That plus the cost of 4 helmet sets, plus at least one pit set, plus two decent radios (motorola gp240 etc) and the relevant licence would take the cost north of £1,000

Best thing for the race is to keep the ban in place, we are after all supposedly cheap motorsport!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

Quote from: Trevor Williams on August 30, 2009, 20:13:29
Best thing for the race is to keep the ban in place, we are after all supposedly cheap motorsport!
I quite agree trev,there is no point in the technical and management committees exploring ways of reducing the costs overall if we then allow something that from my experience with the belgian car is expensive(you only have to think belgian car and you've spent a monkey)and not as easy to use as you would hope.I think one year in three it worked something like right.
Although we could try to  write something to allow camera coverage from the live feed only to be viewed as this has a delay so would not be of too much help.Maybe.