Main Menu

What bits do I need to take

Started by Simon Crook, March 06, 2009, 09:48:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Crook

So with the first race looming :o

Instead of taking everything that is remotely connected with the 2cv from the garage, what bits do you all take with you?
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Andrew Bull

Normally everything that is remotely connected to a 2cv that we can fit in.

Usually five large boxes of bits and tools. A spare engine, and sometimes a spare g'box.  We can obviously use bit from the spare engine if we need to but that depends upon having that spare.  Such as alternator. 
For sprinting we dont tend to worry to much about arms and stuff, but track rods, TR ends,  electrical bit and bobs reg box, luminition kit, cleaners and consumables, spare mechanical items, fans, shocks, (which bend very easily if grass tracking or kerb bouncing), Nuts and bolts selections, Engine spares and gaskets, valves and head spares rockers push rods blah blah blah, Jet box and carb spares, Tyres, jack, fuel cans, FOOD FOOD FOOD BEER BEER BEER, Hand Cleaner (Very important) gloves and stuff, Normally several umbrella's and storm gear, (It usually rains when we race!)

Sods law states that if you dont bring it, that is the bit that you will break or need.  Although if you dont have it, someone in the pitlane most probably does. 

It also depends on what transport you have.  lorries carry more than cars!  dont forget the Gross Vehicle weights when loading up.... Be sensible about it. 

The rule of thumb is if you've picked it up, and you have room for it, bring it.  Wings and bonnets can be straightened out, so your most important item is a large rubber hammer and a metal one for body work.    Then go for a last walk round the garage. 

I hope this gets you started.

Regards

Bully

Tete rouge racing

Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Derek Coghill

The compartmentalised (adjustable compartment sizes) boxes which you can get from DIY shops are quite good for transporting an edited spares selection. I usually take a couple of them, a bigger box for bigger spares, box of small new bits, a pile of tyres, an engine, a pair of arms and a toolbox. And a jerrycan and funnel.

You can't take everything, but the chances are that not everyone's going to forget the same thing.

I tow with a car, so can't take too much.

Don't forget your tent.

Simon Crook

Thanks Bully and Derek

thats a start, like the FOOD and BEER bit the best ;D will start gathering the bits and see what I can fit in,

Couple of other questions for you all......

Fuel wise what's the average we will need over the weekend?

Are you allowed BBQ's in the paddock?

Derek fingers crossed I shouldn't need a tent if one of my sponsors keeps their word!
LUMACA RACING

helen deeley

not exactly car- related, but dont forget licence, upgrade card, BARC registration & club membership, all your kit & money for transponder hire if you havent got one (thats the bit I always forget  ::))
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Simon Crook

Thanks Helen, put all the paperwork thats needed in my overalls/helmet bag, so If I forget that I'm in trouble anyway, didn't know you can hire the transponders, I'm not sure if my one works! (how much are they to hire in case)

Are you still looking to test on the Friday?

LUMACA RACING

Trevor Williams

Simon
BBQs in the paddock are a no-no, see the BARC standing regs when you get them. Tho most people get away with it
Fuel - 5 litres per qualifying session, 10 litres per race should do you so 30 litres in total. Shouldn't use all of it, but it depends on how thirsty your car is and the circuit!

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Simon Crook

LUMACA RACING

Trevor Williams

The two most imprtant things not to forget are your licence and to go to the new driver's briefing

Non production fine for the licence is £50, no argument, and the fine for not attending the new drivers briefing is up to £140 (depending on how pissed off the clerk of the course is!!)
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Simon Crook

LUMACA RACING

Derek Coghill

Simon, there are usually 2 or 3 briefings at half-hour (ish) intervals; these, however, will usually all be at the same time as something else that you have to do........

Simon Crook

Thanks Derek, another thing to look forward too :o
LUMACA RACING

helen deeley

I think its £20 for transponder hire, you can get them in the morning before you go out from the timekeepers who are usually somewhere round race control, I usually pick one up when I sign on.
Im not testing on the Friday now, will have to wing it over qualifying & hope its all ok!  8)
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Simon Crook

Thanks Helen, I have a Transponder, but not sure it works ???, shame your not testing - anyone else planning to?
LUMACA RACING