Main Menu

20th anniversary

Started by Paul Robertson, August 12, 2009, 23:49:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Robertson

I've copied this from the ten tenths forum
"Well Paul, I was working on the basis that as next year is due to be the 20th anniversary that we should do something really special to gain a lot of publicity for the club whilst possibly setting a new world record for an endurance circuit race and we know that a 25hr race has previously taken place before and you did all have approx a six hour rest this year!!

So how about it?

Terry "
Anyone up for a 30 hr race then?It would appear some of our marshals want to make up the lost time.
Paul

Ainslie Bousfield

I am guessing that if we start earlier we will cut in to previous days racing so it will cost quite a bit more  :( or if we finish later we cut in to some serious drinking time  :P.

Does anyone know what the current longest enduro race is? If it is 25 hours why not go 26 and really plug it as the longest endurance race in UK/Europe/World

Perhaps we could get some sponsorship from Duracell or Energizer or Red Bull for lasting longer!

If we couldnt get sponsors for the race how about having a charity as the race sponsor. This would not bring money in but would bring so much publicity. Can you imagine what a good story it would make that after 20 years of racing we decide to give something back. Perhaps Snetterton could offer it's entrance fee takings for the day to charity. Perhaps the charity could supply a celebrity to start the race! (I am rambling now)

If the marshalls are up for it, it could be done. An extra 2 hours isnt really going to make much difference to how tiring it is.

Vickie MacClinton

Hey Paul

If i can be of any assistance in this just give me a shout.

Paul Robertson

Quote from: Vickie MacClinton on August 13, 2009, 09:16:21
Hey Paul

If i can be of any assistance in this just give me a shout.
That would be great vickie thanks ,and for all your efforts over the weekend .

Paul

Paul Webster

Let me tell you now, from a marshals point of view I think we would love it. I'm up for this whole 30 hour race that has been mentioned. If it started at 9 am on Saturday and then finished at 5pm on Sunday all that means is that we would all have an extra 4 hours on duty since we change over every 4 hours. Don't forget that when the 24 hours started on Saturday we had already been out on the bank all day.

Frank Barnard

Now here's a challenge. In the Wikipedia entry for the 2CV it is claimed that: ' (these design features) made the 2CV engine highly reliable and test engines were run at full speed for 1,000 hours at a time, equivalent to driving 50,000 miles at full throttle.' Six weeks of continuous running round Bruntingthorpe or some suitable circuit in the off-season, with a squad of Club drivers plus some celebs? Could be fun, as long as the engine's legal...
PS: The Club sans Panas? Surely not. Please reconsider Steve, your contribution is too valuable

Russell

Hello,

I'm a bit of a lurker here, but I usually lend a hand to the Hollis team at 24hr time.

It's struck me that as probably one of the best events in the 2cv calendar, nobody outside the racing world seems to know the 24hr race exists, yet Spa, where you can barely recognise the cars as 2cv, and most don't have 2cv engines, there is a huge meeting of roadgoing 2cv owners who brave the snow/sleet/pissing rain to support the race.

I'd be willing to throw some weight into organising a decent sized 2cv meeting/camp at Snetterton, which if nothing else would hopefully bring some money through the gates, and some support and interest in the 2cv racing club.

I talked through the idea with Rich Hollis at the weekend, and he's promised to raise it at the next comittee meeting, Myself and a couple of mates run www.international2cvfriends.com, we have a member base of aroung 300 and we're looking at holding a meeting somewhere next year, it'd be a pleasure if we could arrange with the 2cv racing club to do it at Snetterton and support the (epic) race weekend that the 24hr usually is.

Obviously it's just a suggestion, but we're game to have a stab at it if you/the venue are aswell.

Suggestions regarding the race however, I'll leave to those in the know  ;)

Martin Harrold

Russell:

That is a really great offer, and please develop the idea.

Snet is ideal for a big 2CV camping meet and Jamie Hopper, Circuit Manager, and his team, would be delighted to work with Classic 2CV Racing Club and your 2CV Friends organisation to arrange things. The more people there are at the circuit, the nicer the overall atmosphere. At the Nurburgring 24hr they get 250k+ and Le Mans gets 230k+. We are not ever going to get those kinds of numbers, but we won't stop trying.

At the moment, all the gate receipts would go to the Circuit. But, the bigger the receipts, the more negotiating strength the club has. Also, we'd work out some kind of weekend ticket for pre-booked attendees. Drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll have you on file.

It's quite possible that Brian Drummond at Citroen Car Club would encourage his members to come along for the weekend. If that all happened and we built some real momentum, we might even get Citroen UK to help things along again.

The challenge at this early stage is to know the date for the '10 race. It now seems to have settled down in early August. Our friend Alan Gow at TOCA now tends to set his calendar in the Autumn, so as soon as that is known, then our date can follow. Traditionally, we have a date that does not clash with a BTCC event. This year their Snet round was the week before.

Keep the ideas flowing.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Frank Barnard

Unless there's been a change of heart in Citroen UK, Martin, I think hopes of support & interest relating to 2CVs remains slim. For decades they've seemed embarrassed by the beast, believing it undermines their brand image. This instead of being proud of its innovative engineering and role as one of the truly revolutionary utility vehicles that put motoring within the reach of the homme-dans-la-rue...

Martin Harrold

Frank - if we got enough Citroens to Snet for the w/e, then Citroen UK would have to acknowledge the event in some way. Building up numbers takes time, and getting Friends and Citroen Car Club on side and working with us will help that. It will probably take some quite small thing that catches the new MD's interest that would cause a change of heart in Slough. A 2CV was featured in a recent Citroen ad I saw somewhere.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Dean Watson

if there is anything the "Cadwell Mafia" can do to help let us know, we will certainly be bigging up the meeting for next year with the marshals at Cadwell and who knows we may even be able to encourage more to Snett.

Frank Barnard

Martin: I didn't know about the new MD but what you say sounds rather hopeful!

Derek Coghill

Citroen are using the 2CV in their current advertising; I've seen it in a people-carrier (C8?) ad in the paper and there's the Charleston C3 thingy as well.

Simon Crook

Unless the New Citroen MD had any interest in 2cv racing or a passion for 2cv's I would think that this is a non starter - we have missed the chance of any interest, being the Citroen Brands 90th Birthday this year :(

I do feel we can attract a sponsor/partner - what do the MSA and BARC think about the 24hr race? It is a huge milestone the 20th anniversary.
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

spanners

I ca nalways try and get something into the "InCitroen" magazine if it helps? They like to hear stories from dealerships/staff.
AKA Jonathan. Wanna be racer one day.......................