Main Menu

Toyo tyres

Started by Trevor Williams, September 03, 2009, 15:19:05

Previous topic - Next topic

philip myatt

Don't forget to allow for any spares that you may require, I would have thought that 6 would be a minimum requirement.
To avoid confusion I will assume 1 set = 4 tyres.

Derek Coghill

No, not at all. Sean needed some tyres for his road car and he bought some, that's all. Goes against all national stereotypes as well.

Simon Crook

Hi Phil

1½ sets for me please (6 tyres) plus the ones from Lien all un-buffed, is that extra cost really needed!.

I know its early but, where will the tyre's be available from, just so I (we) can work out collection or delivery costs?
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Lien93

So that's 10 not buffed & 4 buffed please.

Trevor Williams

Can someone please give definitive advice as to whether these Toyo tyres need to be buffed or not? If they were tested at Cadwell un-buffed and were as good as the buffed Firestones, why bother with the expense?

If they don't, and I would prefer it if they didn't need itas it adds 50% to the cost of a set, can it be written into the regulations that buffing of the tyres is not allowed?

Cheers

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Mary Lindsay

Phil, I would like to order 2 sets (8 tyres) please.
Let me know when you want some money up front.
Thanks,
Mary

Marc Fenner

Whats the deal with firestone tyres then? I have 6 brand new buffed firestone tyres. There no good for the road so does this mean we have wasted £200+?

philip myatt

For 2010 the Toyo 135 will be the control tyre, no other tyre will be permitted. These tyres are on order and will be available through the club in January, which will be in plenty of time for the first race.

Andrew Bull

"Whats the deal with firestone tyres then? I have 6 brand new buffed firestone tyres. There no good for the road so does this mean we have wasted £200+"

Why would the firestones not be any use on the road.  They are brand new and will have at least 3.5mm of tread depth on them???!!! 

Sell them as exactly that.  Theres absolutely no reason why they cannot be used on the road. Apart from if they are 145's and you dont want them on your car for gearing reasons.
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Marc Fenner

Its just annoying that we have new tyres that have been shaven down and now are worth nothing.
Geoff archer offered £50 for them which just shows there worthless. I dont have a road 2cv at the moment so really there scrap.
In total we have 12 firestones and cant use them. Not happy! >:(
Can i run the tyres if we are not doing the championship?

Trevor Williams

Depends what's in the regulations for 2010. If the Firestones are allowed as a transition year then yes. If the Toyos are mandated, then no.
Simples!

Paul Robertson

That'll be no then.There was plenty of discussion on here about the complete lack of tyres for the whole season,the high cost of the rubbish mexican firestones and the extortionate cost of the quicker michelins .We now have one tyre for all , they will be 1/4 the price of a michelin so if you sell your old firestones to geoff for £50 you will be able to buy 2 brand new toyo's or you could find someone with a beetle or camper and flog them to them.
I must have in excess of 20 145's of all makes and ages that are no longer any use for racing marc but £90+ each tyres favour those that can afford them.£23 tyres favour all and if you can't afford £100 for a set of tyres that should last a season you can't afford to race.

Paul Robertson

Quote from: Trevor Williams on September 10, 2009, 10:02:26
Can someone please give definitive advice as to whether these Toyo tyres need to be buffed or not? If they were tested at Cadwell un-buffed and were as good as the buffed Firestones, why bother with the expense?

If they don't, and I would prefer it if they didn't need itas it adds 50% to the cost of a set, can it be written into the regulations that buffing of the tyres is not allowed?

Cheers

Trevor
I have no doubt they will be better buffed trev ,as all road tyres would seem to be.The ones we tested were not buffed and stood up very well to the test at cadwell.
I cannot see how you could police tyre depth though, if you were to find some part worns they would be legal and  possibly advantageous so buffing must be permitted.

Trevor Williams

Sean

Quote from: Paul Robertson on October 09, 2009, 18:05:08
if you were to find some part worns they would be legal and  possibly advantageous

Ha Ha ha see mr Coghills post at top of page tyres running in nicely ;)
Sean