Main Menu

24hr costs

Started by Formula Brookes, October 05, 2009, 12:42:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Formula Brookes

Hi,

I am looking to compete in the 2CV 24hr race next year, I really need to know how much it will exactly cost ie. entries, car, spares. Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks

Phil

Paul Robertson

How long is a piece of string?
Entry£1800
Fuel £300
Car £2500 upwards to buy £1500 upwards to rent + damage waiver/insurance.
Spares easily £7/800
As a rough guide i would suggest the bare minimum £1000 per driver but you WILL end up out of pocket and in reality more like £1500.

Formula Brookes

Can anyone enter (Obviously we have correct licenses and clothing etc), is it invitation only and over subscribed etc....?

What are the spares like on pads, brakes, tyres etc. Sorry to sound a bit lost, were looking at it as a university club project.

Thanks

Phil

Paul Robertson

yes anyone can enter. one set of pads ,a set of dry and wet tyres and be prepared that absolutely anything could break.

JonWaldock

Formula Brookes?

Does this mean there will be another car in the (unofficial) University/College category?
www.feederseries.net - Your Guide to the Rising Stars of Motorsport

Martin Harrold

Another car from a college enetring the 24hr would be very welcome. There are outline plans to actively encourage entries from any college, but particularly those that offer vehicle engineering or motorsport engineering courses. It might become known as 'The College Cup'.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Formula Brookes

hmmmm, interesting. We are definately more than interested.   Going to have to try and pin down exactly how much it will cost a bit more accurately. How much of a spares package would be required for the race as i know from karting that spares packages take years to gather up, and buying one instantly could cost a bomb?!?!

When you say there are plans to encourage uni/college teams, in what sense do you mean?

Am i right in guessing building your own car will cost A LOT more than buying a ready prepared car?

Paul Robertson

Quote from: Formula Brookes on October 11, 2009, 02:40:52
hmmmm, interesting. We are definately more than interested.   Going to have to try and pin down exactly how much it will cost a bit more accurately. How much of a spares package would be required for the race as i know from karting that spares packages take years to gather up, and buying one instantly could cost a bomb?!?!

When you say there are plans to encourage uni/college teams, in what sense do you mean?

Am i right in guessing building your own car will cost A LOT more than buying a ready prepared car?

I you don't have something usually someone else will lend/sell you it ,you just have to go from garage to garage til you find it.If you want a list of everything WE take i can send you it but basically we take a spare of everything except bodyshell and chassis .Get what you can take, all the consumables you think you'll need and then some more and cadge the rest ,you should get away with it the first time.
Building your own car will definitely be more than buying an existing car.

Martin Harrold

How will we encourage entries for the College Cup?

First, club experts like Paul Robertson will guide you where they can into getting started.

Then, when you enter races (doing one or more of the early season sprint races is a good way to see how things work in the paddock and on circuit), we'll make sure that 'senior' club members know that you are there. They will do their best to offer as much technical support and spares as is practical.

Much of the prep work is normal careful mechanic tasks, but just like any racing series, there are many tricks and special stuff which you learn over time, but watching, listening and puzzling things out.

As for costs, we estimate roughly as follows:

Buy a running race car - around £3k, depending upon engine status
If you get someone to build you an engine, that's around £1000. Typically people have one hot engine and one or more good engines.
A set of Toyo tyres for next year is £125 for 5, and depending on your luck with punctures, you'll need maybe six tyres in the season.
After that, you can go on spending lots on bits and pieces from Demon Tweaks, but much of it does not make the car go faster.
Entry fees are around £300 for a double header sprint meeting and around £1700 all in for the 24hr.
If you plan to have four drivers in the 24hr, they'll need ARDS tests, MSA licences and overalls and helmets. Club sponsors Sabelt are doing new FIA race suits just now for £250 inc vat. Helmets I guess are around £150. So that's about £700 a driver in all. The clobber coud be bought by the college and passed along each year, as of course could the car, engines and spares.

Starting and prize money - err, nope. If you do get on the podium, a modest trophy of burnished plastic will be yours to keep, but that's it. If your team does enter for the College Cup and we get some other entries, the trophy might be just a bit bigger.

Is it easy? Nope. Motor racing is very hard, with a lot of things which can cause problems. I know that Paul Roberston, running one of the most respected teams, took many years to get his first win in the 24hr. Our own team has done the 24hr for 10 years, and this year lady luck was smiling at us and we got third - which seemed like a win to us. You either like racing and all that comes with it or you don't, but I guess that applies to all sports and hobbies

2CV Team LION

Trevor Williams

Other costs that Martin didn't mention:

Go Racing pack from MSA £51.00 (get one and download the licence application forms from the MSA website for any other applicants)
Medical £60 - £300.00 Depends on what your doctor charges.
ARDS test circa £300.00 per person
National B Licence £51.00 (2009 price, normally goes up by about £5.00 a year)

Unfortunately, motor racing isn't cheap, especially when first starting, but it is GREAT FUN!!!!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Derek Coghill

<the College Cup>

How many students per team if you want to participate?

Martin Harrold

How would we define an entry for the 'College Cup'?

A quick guess would be that of the four drivers, three must be new to the race. The fourth could be anyone, but probably best to be someone who has done the race before.

Do they have to build the car or can they rent buy one? I don't think that matters.

If the idea gathers momentum, then I'm hoping that someone in the club wll take on the task of contacting all the appropriate colleges and drum up more support. They would also help draw up the rules - which we might hope would be kept to a minimum.

2CV Team LION

Derek Coghill

Martin, that works for rookies but not necessarily for students.