Main Menu

2010 24hr

Started by Geoff Archer, November 09, 2009, 23:12:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Archer

i know this is a long shot but any rough dates yet for next years?
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Paul Robertson

Possibly august bank holiday(iknow but the touring cars nicked our date)28th /29th.

Geoff Archer

bugger if it is, that been the date of the 2cvgb international, cheers paul
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Trevor Williams

That would be a bugger! Just remember that the only dates that are fixed so far are the F1 date (but not the venue, and the BTCC dates. Don't expect final confirmation until at least the end of this month!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

DonaldM

Quote from: Trevor Williams on November 10, 2009, 15:29:59
That would be a bugger! Just remember that the only dates that are fixed so far are the F1 date (but not the venue, and the BTCC dates. Don't expect final confirmation until at least the end of this month!

Trevor, you still got my number? Will you let me know when the date has been confirmed - if I am still welcome in the team that is!

Donald

JonWaldock

Am sure it's been raised (and I know this is very early, but it was in my head earlier and so i thought I'd put it out there)...

Last year one team in the 24 Hours put tape over the names of the drivers that weren't in the car, which made it so much easier for us as commentators (and i'd imagine the spectators too) to find out who's in the car. Can this be made a rule this year?

Regards

Jon Waldock
www.feederseries.net - Your Guide to the Rising Stars of Motorsport

Trevor Williams

The organisers can put whatever they feel is necessary into the Supplementary Regs for the race, so long as they are published with the entry form. After that, changes need to be agreed by all who have entered an event up to the date of the change and the MSA I think

Paul Robertson

what penalty do you think would be fair if the name wasn't changed over then?Drive thru?stop go,5 laps like a tow back?There would have to be a penalty or who would bother?

JonWaldock

Quote from: Paul Robertson on January 05, 2010, 14:18:13
    what penalty do you think would be fair if the name wasn't changed over then?Drive thru?stop go,5 laps like a tow back?There would have to be a penalty or who would bother?

I don't know really, part of me thinks that there shouldn't need to be because it's in everyones interest, but I take your point, I really don't know what I'd put as a penalty, but would imagine a black and orange, correct within 3 laps and then a suitable penalty, a stop go maybe.

I hadn't thought as far as a penalty, but remember thinking that having to pound up and down the pitlane with a clipboard and a piece of paper checking all the names i had down were right, took away from the commentary a bit.

Trevor Williams

I would not support this at all!! It's not necessary and in no way performance enhancing. The info is available from Race Admin anyway
I can just see someone forgetting to remove and replace the tape in the heat of the moment at 3am and it costing them a drive-through etc.

JonWaldock

Quote from: Trevor Williams on January 05, 2010, 16:43:51
I would not support this at all!! It's not necessary and in no way performance enhancing. The info is available from Race Admin anyway
I can just see someone forgetting to remove and replace the tape in the heat of the moment at 3am and it costing them a drive-through etc.

It dosen't necessarily have to be a penalty, I hadn't thought of that until Paul raised it, but for spectators and commentators, it made it alot easier to find out who's in the car.

Mary Lindsay

It is of course completely dependent upon the pit crew remembering in the heat of the moment during a pit stop to tape over the relevant name! In my view, although it is a nice idea I doubt that it is a reliable way of establishing who is in the car.

Simon Crook

Surely if it becomes a rule, then all involved will have to comply or face the penalty (a simple drive back to the pits, and get it changed) with the success of the race being aired on the InterWeb, its a good thing if the commentary team knows who's driving the car at what time, if it ads to the overall product and helps out the commentators, then I thinks its a good idea.
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Andrew Bull

I like both schools of thought.  Yes, Paul is correct that if theres a rule there has to be consequences due to non-conformance, however I do also feel that the information should be accurate and up to date up at race control anyway.  Is the Clerk of the Course not Legally (certainly within Motor sport Rules) obliged to know which driver is out on the circuit?

Having said that i can see the point that it would make spectating more interesting and easier to understand.  There are people out there who watch club motor sport avidly and do fill in the blanks provided in the programmes.

If this was put in to our supplementary regs' for the event, Tape ('gaffer' or otherwise) just does not 'cut the mustard'.  The method would have to be slot in name cards or such.  Have you ever tried to stick tape to a wet, dirty, oil and petrol stained car. 

If it was mandatory however, then it would have to be done, and that should ultimately be the team managers job to ensure that the car does not leave the pits unless the correct name is applied to the car.  It should be as important and routine as any other mandatory thing, such as fastening the drivers belts or making sure the pin is out of the extinguisher! 

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way.  Surely it would be better to improve the accuracy and speed of information flow to the race control / timekeepers and subsequently commentators.  My personal suggestion would be to change the way the driver change sheets are handled.  Each team should be responsible for taking them directly to race control.  Thus negating the potential for them to be in an orange pocket for a while for whatever reason or being lost in transit.  (No i'm not knocking our wonderful friends).

My personal preference would be not to have to change the driver names on the car, as any temporary method of affixing has the potential to fail, (fall off) then inadvertently the car no longer complies,  which could result in an unscheduled stop or penalty. 

I hope this was reasonably objective and provides an alternative way of thinking around the potential problems of not being able to identify the driver at a glance.
Cheers
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Andrew Bull

Oh i just thought what about publishing information bulletins on driver changes, or publish which driver is in the car when the hourly race bulletin goes out??

Cheers from very snowy Barnsley.
Bully
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013