Main Menu

We passed the audition

Started by Martin Harrold, May 18, 2010, 22:22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

Today, I was just starting to draft a 'thank you' note to Magnus Laird, promoter of Sunday's event, when he rang me.

He wanted me to thank all the 2CV racers and teams for putting on such a great racing show. He said that four races were outstanding, and the top two were the 2CV races.

He's pretty certain that similar live TV events will be staged in 2011 and 2CV's will be the first to be invited.

He even apologised for what he felt were some ill-considered remarks about 2CV cars and racing by Barrie Lee. I have not heard his commentary yet, so could not comment directly, but I did remind Magnus that any of us who race 2CV's have heard pretty much all the jokes before and don't take offence. But, I did say that it was nice for him to be concerned.

So, despite the difficulties and challenges he faced in organising the event and we faced in assembling a reasonable grid, everything worked out well in the end.

Don't get too carried away though. He lost money on the event - for starters, the big truck mounted TV screen cost £5k for the day and don't even ask how much all that broadcast kit cost for a day. So, starting money and prize money are still a very long way off.

He's asked for feedback, good and bad, from all those in the club who were involved, on the track and in support. So, please use this thread to post your thoughts and add suggestions for improving the 'show'. If you'd rather talk to me, call on 07973 303982.

I'll give it a week or two then gather it all up and pass it on to him.

And from me, despite my team having had 'a very bad day at the races', (tip - be wary of re-man clutches, which we did not specify or fit) I was very pleased to see the good grid and everyone racing fast and fair. Thanks to those who early on supported the idea that the club should participate in the event, and I think that the doubters are now converted. Did anyone even notice that the races were only 10 minutes not 25?

Now, get out and enjoy Oulton Park and Croft and get your entry into Nick Roads for the 20th 24hr at Snet. Let's see if the publicity from Mallory will help us get the Snet grid into the mid-30's.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Matthew Hollis

I've yet to see the coverage, but a few people have said to me that it only ever focussed on the leaders.  This probably isn't under Magnus' control but thought I should mention it anyway, and I appreciate in most TV racing coverage the leaders should get the majority of coverage.  However, in the 2nd race for instance, there was a mammoth battle for 11th that was just as good as the one at the front (I know because I was watching it from the sidelines  :()!

Mick Storey

Loved it Martin, thanks very much for the effort you and everyone put in. My only problem was having to wait till the end to get out and home, nothing compared to Derek Coghills problems. I think I can live with that in exchange for such and event.
Would be orgasmic at the chance of doing that again.

Martin Harrold

Here is a message I received from Magnus Laird today:

"Dear Martin,

As I mentioned yesterday, I should appreciate it if you would please pass on my heartfelt thanks to all your drivers and support crew who made the inaugural Motors TV Live Raceday from Mallory such a success.  Although potentially divisive to single out any grid in particular, it was clear to all I have spoken to that the 2CV's and the Caterham Graduates both put on truly special performances on Sunday.  It was the sort of racing that demands TV coverage (unlike so much that currently receives it, which simply gives motorsport a bad name).  I am convinced that over time, this concept will build its own loyal audience, both live at the circuits and on TV across Europe.

The feedback received so far has been almost universally positive and enthusiastic (see today's coverage in Motorsport News).  I am sufficiently encouraged to forge ahead with plans for 2011 and would like to organise between 6 and 8 meetings, ideally one a month between March and October, at a variety of circuits around the UK. 

If your drivers would like to be involved in one (or some) of these meetings, then on the strength of their performance at the weekend, I would be delighted to include them in our plans.  With enough forward planning, there is no reason why the races next year could not be Championship rounds.  I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on any aspect of the event, good or bad, so that we can learn from the experience of last weekend and refine the product fo 2011.

Once again, on behalf of the production team at Hayfisher, Motors TV, the BARC and myself, a huge thank you to all drivers, co-ordinators and teams.

Kind regards, Magnus"

2CV Team LION

Alec Graham

Briefly my thoughts.
1 i certainly noticed the change from 25mins to 10 mins simply by the increased amount of bumping and barging at the front.(or should i say quite close to the front)

2 as was mentioned earlier if the interest is great enough, then i'm sure it would be a great promotional tool for the club to get some tv coverage of the 24hour race, much of this could be achieved cheaply by in car cameras.

3 If the tv coverage continues then it might be worth the 'club' preparing a few 'hire' cars as exposure grows so will the interest.

Simon Crook

Both Motorsport News and Autosport liked us including some pictures - my favorite quote (P107 Autosport)

"It's safe to assume the 2CVs didn't harm the audience share of the Monaco GP - but the racing was much better"

Not bad eh!
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Nigel Hollis

Any idea when the dvd will be available?

Derek Coghill

As an add-on to Nigel's question; will the DVD be of just what was broadcast, or will it (could it?) include footage that wasn't broadcast as well?

Regarding the programme, my parents and my sister both watched it independently and neither gave Barry Lee black marks for comments about the cars (I presume these were along the lines of "not what you'd expect to see on a racetrack"?) - they said that he was very enthusiastic about our races. It did focus on the leaders, cutting away from one shot to go to the next one, but that's generally what happens isn't it? Having said that, we do tend to have 3 or 4 races-within-a-race, so a bit more knowledge of how the different series being filmed "work" might help the production company provide more entertaining TV - at points in race 2, the bunch competing for 10th (ish) included about 10 cars so that might have been worth some time. Given that the races were only 10 laps and that the laps at Mallory are short, there's only a little time to transmit it so they have to decide fairly quickly what they're going to do.

Was the big screen worth it? I don't think so - from where I was, it was obscured by trucks. The people that could see it were at the trackside watching the racing and whilst it provided a view of another part of the track, I'm sure it wouldn't have been missed. The point of the event was to show the event to the TV audience rather than to those who were there.

I haven't seen the printed reports yet, so can't comment on that.

In general, I liked the format - it's been years since we've done 10-lap races! - and would do it again (money permitting) tomorrow.

(and my knee went back into place on Monday afternoon....phew...)

Martin Harrold

Today, I received a bunch of DVD's with the Mallory races on, plus the presentations. Nick Roads is racing at Oulton Park this weekend, and will have some with him to hand out. We are a few short, so please share wherever possible.

I'd not seen the races before, so was very impressed. With only 6 cameras, HayFisher did a great job of the coverage. Barry Lee and Matt James did a very good commentary, lots of enthusiasm, nothing objectionable and even a few new 2CV jokes.

If anyone is not going to Oulton Park, drop a note of your mailing address to '[email protected]' and I'll try to mail one to you.

I don't know whether thay are copy protected - no doubt someone will shout soon on that.

2CV Team LION

Chris Yates

Agreed, the coverage was very good. For those that haven't seen it, race 1 has recently appeared on YouTube in 2 parts:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR3xO-auhR8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHC4h_q3X7c

Gregory Moule

First time ive seen it and it was a brilliant race.

Chris Yates