Main Menu

Refuelling in the 24 Hour Race

Started by Trevor Williams, May 07, 2010, 12:20:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Williams

Everyone needs to be aware of a proposed change to the MSA regs regarding refueling (Q13.1.2) which is out for consultation (see Motorsports Now)

The proposed change reads as follows:

"A driver shall vacate.............Refuelling within the pitlane may only be carried out using either a churn of no more than 25 litres capacity with a self seal connection and closed loop breathing system or a refuelling rig in compliance with FIA requirements....."

Adds a significant one-off cost to the preparation of the cars as this means drt-break systems!!!!

Over to the Technical people
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Derek Coghill

It's open to consultation, so not definite yet. I suggest that we involve ourselves in the consultation process!

Thanks for pointing it out, Trev; I hadn't got past ogling the car on the cover.....

Chris Yates

I've changed the title of the thread, by request.

Derek Coghill

How does that work then? The whole title's changed....except for the bit that I changed!

Andrew Bull

As many may also testify...

For "Dry Break".......Read "Pisses out all over the place". 

Usually bigger nozzles, and more plumbing to be problematic.  Thus any slight error in application or removal, means higher volumes being spilt.

I like Jerry Cans...  At least they are resrictive by their flow rate.

Anyone who recalls any Spa 24hr event will tell you that the pit lane their has rivers of fuel running down the gulley. 
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

philip myatt

I've contacted the MSA to get involved in the consultation and have a meeting with Ian Watson on Saturday and will see if Barc can also progress on our behalf.

Christine Savage

My understanding is that championshp speciffic regulations can override MSA blue book regs, so if the jerry can is carefull written into our championship regs for next year, and this is approved by the MSA, then this would override the blue book... however, this is only my personal understanding of the situation not an official clarification.

Trevor Williams

Philip
"Anglo American Tuff Jugs" might be worth a look at?

Simon Crook

Hi Trevor - Demon Tweeks do them at £43.00 each although you can buy them direct boxes of six from Anglo American 20ltrs of fuel in 75 seconds
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Trevor Williams

Yeah, saw them on Anglo Oils site and thought they might assist if the MSA change the regs as they are planning too. A lot cheaper than dry-break stuff!

Paul Robertson

Simon Crook

I think they might ;D

Hi Simon.

If you were to buy a box of 6, the price would be  £35.70 per can, with  a freight charge of £9.00 for all six.

Both figures plus vat.

Currently, we have these in white ( opaque) or orange, with the  Ripper neck fitting, which has a 35mm diameter.

In a couple of weeks we will have red and blue  cans back in stock.

Please get in touch if you would like to go ahead.

Regards

Shaun

Shaun Williams
Anglo American Oil Company Ltd.
Direct tel .+44 (0) 1929 555973
Fax +44 (0) 1929 551567
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Nigel Hollis

Where is the advantage in these.? Don't most fuel spills occur because of overbrimming of the tank. Would these prevent that?

philip myatt

I have purchased one of these fuel cans and am currently in disscussion with the MSA as to what they are actually trying to achieve and how we can help with  that without having to spend a fortune on the cars.
They are being quite positive as to us not needing to fit a full FIA "dry" break system but equally I'll be surprised if we are still allowed to use the jerry can, time will tell.

Trevor Williams

The advantage of these is that they comply with the proposed changes to the Blue Book for 2011 and are considerably cheaper than a full dry-break set-up