Main Menu

Ian Gammon-Hardaway Trophy.

Started by Rambo, August 25, 2010, 19:19:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo

Firstly, I would like to thank the club for the great honour it has done me by presenting me with this historic trophy. And secondly to team Dogfish for letting me do three one hour sessions, and allowing me a grandstand view of Gadget's accident. From now on a tripple roll will be known as a Gadget!
Do any previous winners of the Ian Gammon-Hardaway trophy know if there was ever a case for it, and, if it has got lost in the mists of time, I would be pleased to get one made. Also only ten of the winners' names are on it so some research needs to be done to get it up to date, and I could price having that done while it is in my care. Graham Harper.

Sean

Quote from: Rambo on August 25, 2010, 19:19:07
Firstly, I would like to thank the club for the great honour it has done me by presenting me with this historic trophy. And secondly to team Dogfish for letting me do three one hour sessions, and allowing me a grandstand view of Gadget's accident.

It was an honour and a privilege to have you as a team mate!
Hope the white coats went easy on you after your weekend of doing exaxctly the opposite of what they have been telling you to do

Sean
(reluctant team manager)

Trevor Williams

Graham,
Fully deserved for a legend of the 2CV 24 Hour Race!!
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

Quote from: Trevor Williams on August 26, 2010, 20:59:17
Graham,
Fully deserved for a legend of the 2CV 24 Hour Race!!
Trevor
I totally agree trev.Good luck with the medics graham,remission is a word i'm sure we would all like to see you post one day.
Paul

fat controller

The trophy is named after Ian who died in an unfortunate crash of one of the cars at a race in the early days at Lydden. His fiance at the time presented the cup to the club to mark his memory and the Racing For Hope team lead by yours trully where the first to recieve it back in 1991 after being stuck in a ferry strike at Holyhead and only reaching the track an hour before qualifying started. If memory serves such was the spirit in the club at that time that all the other teams racing that year had agreed delay qualifying until we arrived.

Hold the trophy with pride

Best regards
Martin Woodley
AKA " The fat Conroller" retired.

Frank Barnard

Greetings Martin with good memories of racing days with Team Woodley in England, Ireland and France,
Best,
Frank Barnard

gadget

it is without doubt a proud moment when this trophy is held aloft.i myself have done this and will never forget the moment.it's made all the more special as it's usually been put in your possesion by all the rest of the club members,and for a very good reason.polish with pride graham as i'm sure there is not a cover for it.
nice to see the fat controller back on the scene even though he's retired.all the best gadget

Annie

Hi - just came across this by accident but thought I would chip in, even though its a bit late.

I was Ian's girlfriend at the time he was killed and designed and donated the trophy so I was really pleased to see that it is still going and being appreciated in the spirit it was originally intended.

There were a couple of design faults though - one being that, as the thread was asking, it didnt have a case and secondly, as I recall it was a complete bastard to polish, so my sincere apologies to anyone who has had to do that over the last 20 years.

Good luck to everyone for the race this year and (apologies for sounding like your grandma) drive carefully!

Annie x

gadget

well what a surprise,and it is indeed a lovely trophy.many thanks for donating and i can confirm it is still adored by anyone that wins it
even though they usually get it when they have not had the best of luck. cheers gadget

CJCA

I had read about this trophy when I first became interested in doing the 24 hour race and realised how much it meant to some of the drivers/teams/managers etc...

To be awarded with it however, raised the bar significantly. To me personally, it was such an honour to be presented with the trophy, and the team as well. I am sure Jim (Team Manager) will make a post on here as well at a later date! To do 6 engine changes, survive a roll, be off the pace, and still not finish last having had nobody in the team do this event before was a great achievement in itself!

Thank you for everything to everyone for making My first 2cv 24hr race one which makes me want to do it again next year!

P.S If there are any marshals that read this, and didnt get a wave from me whilst going round, please accept my apologies :D

ChrisAstley (Keller #23 Driver)

Keller Jim

Thank you to everyone that got us through our 24 hour baptism.  In particular to the team members of SVG Racing who helped every time our car returned to the pits and to the Gadget boys from Wisbech who lent us some horsepower.  To be awarded the Spirit of the Meeting award was a fantastic ending to a roller-coaster of a weekend!

Also, thank you to all of you that organise the event and the club generally.

Jim De Waele
Team Keller
(Tip: next year bring a table(s))