Main Menu

Spa 24hr

Started by Paul Robertson, October 16, 2010, 22:53:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Robertson

Linky if anyone wants to check out whats going on.
http://www.ris-timing.be/

Derek Coghill

It would appear that all the racers are of Belgian nationality......

Derek Coghill

They've changed it now, just in time for the end!

Paul Robertson

The first british team to make the podium ,well done Philip, David, Mark, Sammie and all the rest of the team who helped make it happen.

Derek Coghill

Nick Roads

Below is a picture of the SSM UK entered car which came 3rd - most times I saw it shoot past me on track it was on 3 wheels in a corner due to its Camber...

It really was a very impressive result from the team and drivers

Team Pegasse were in their Belgian car after their Snetterton outing and got the camber idea a little wrong on their front left wheel..

For myself I had an amazing time in a Belgian Team. I had got a drive with the Burton Racing Team. They were very friendly, relaxed and entertaining for the whole weekend. The biggest surprise was the car. I arrived thinking that Burton the Snowboard company were sponsoring a 2cv. Total surprise to find I was in an open seater!

The car was brilliant however, handled well and the 602 cc engine was well setup and lasted the whole race. We qualified 49th but finished 21st which was a great result. A really beautiful car and I have now learnt that Burton in Holland have now sold over 1000 of these cars on their 2cv chassis in Europe. Picture below is of the engine bay just to prove it was a 2cv engine

Spa is an amazing circuit to race. The 24 hour race the Belgians organise is also a fantastic event.

Maybe one year we will get some UK cars out for the race. If so I would hope to take my car. I was not sure if it would be suited to Spa before I went but now know it would be with a few modifications (remove the roof etc etc). The only significant modification would be for the refuelling system and tank - not cheap but a lot of the cars were sharing refuelling rigs which reduces the costs.

philip myatt

I thought the Dutch were using Jerry cans, and that we would be able to do the same.

gadget

hi there, yes indeed the dutch were using jerry's and so were all the others in the classique and amelia class with the addition of a new in the spout in the bottom and using the original as the air in.
anyway,well done to the team phil,a brilliant result for all the team.
i,d also like to congratulate rick pembro.not many people knew he was also competing last weekend.for those of you who didn't,he done a night time rally across belgium and back,twice!.i think he finished up completing more miles than the race car.
well done again see you next season,in my mirrors i hope.cheers gadget

Bas

Ha! Superstar sammie grandad phil mark n the whole team well done  RESULT!
Tete Rouge Racing since 1993

Derek Coghill

Nick, we did it 2 years ago in one of the Hollis' cars (Richard's I think?) and we refuelled with a jerrycan without problems.

FastKars

Great job Phil and team..we enjoyed watching your team!
We were using a modified jerry indeed (see pics). Works very fine and good addition for UK 24hr improvement!  

We were racing UK specs at Spa again and we needed a 2 hour discussion with the new (BRAC) organization to start. We entered via the Classic class and raced in the Amelioree class. A lot of mods are required at Spa for UK racers. We have filled up the fuel tank with a sponge and added 2 extra extinguisher points. We didn't install the expensive fuel system and we didn't make all (discussable) cage mods. From next year you need a lot of mods on your cage e.g. a bar through the chassis connected to the cage. Extra cage on the rear to protect the fuel tank, etc...  So I think driving in both competitions probably results in making 2 racers as the differences are getting to big. Maybe you can make modified agreements as UK organization?

Nevertheless, UK specs do compete very well in the A class...especially when you can use a different gear box. We qualified 46th  and were driving a long time 3rd and even 2nd in the A class during the wet night....till we had spring problems that cost us half an hour. We ended up 4th in A class and 26th overall....

Cheers Kars (and team)

Ps. Paul....I gave Sammie the money for the clamps....thanks!
Ps2. You only drank 1 barrel of beer in our tent....what happened?! :)

Trevor Williams

Depending on what has / is finally agreed with the MSA, jerry can refuelling is probably out fornext year in the UK anyway
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

Quote from: Trevor Williams on October 24, 2010, 16:28:06
Depending on what has / is finally agreed with the MSA, jerry can refuelling is probably out fornext year in the UK anyway
That's right trev,fortunately the msa have seen sense and are allowing the tuff jug .The club are investigating having a filler neck made, so individuals won't have to try and fabricate something themselves