Main Menu

Refuelling and tuff jugs

Started by Derek Coghill, March 30, 2011, 15:33:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Coghill

Just checking, before I go shopping, that the club hasn't/isn't going to buy these in bulk from the supplier?

And, like the jerrycans, is it one jug per car and one nozzle per car?

Simon Crook

Hi Derek

I brought mine off ebay - 140525705823 £30.00 + £7.50 postage
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Paul Robertson

Derek, the plan is to do a bulk buy before snet,however if you require one before then that's up to you.

Simon Crook

Hi Paul, will the reworked fuel tank filler neck be a purchase from the club or do we make one ourselves?
LUMACA RACING

philip myatt

The majority vote at the agm was for it to be a club supplied part.

Derek Coghill

Thanks for that. The filler neck modification; is this going to be some sort of an insert (trim to fit)?

I don't need one before that; I just wondered, having been to the manufacturer's website and found out about their trade rates and conditions, whether we intended taking advantage of them?

I would, however, suggest that we buy pale colours rather than dark as markings (team/car) will be more visible. Unless they're done with Tipp-ex...

Simon Crook

LUMACA RACING

Lien93

There is an adapter shown on the manufacturers web site that we may be able to use on our Tuff Jugs. It look like it will over come the problem that was found at the Croft test day. Here is the link

http://tuffjug.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=29

At £3.55 it's cheap too!

Simon Crook

had a chat with a few people this morning, none of the adapters available (yet) in the UK - the first batch in the UK the spout was too big to go into modern unleaded filler necks - USA ones are bigger (well they would be) the new ones are on back order they expect them soon!
LUMACA RACING

Paul Robertson

How long do you think it will take with such a small neck to empty 20 litres?I can see people getting fed up with holding the can for so long.
As far as i am aware tony is modifying the neck for us to try again at anglesey as well as bringing some other versions.The biggest problem is finding a suitable cap that isn't £60+

Derek Coghill

It doesn't matter how long the neck takes to empty 20 litres because it's the same for everyone; if you get into modifications then you get into perceived advantages and so on. I'd be in favour of unmodified.

Simon Crook

I have to say I agree with you Derek. I have only seen pictures of the Fuel Filler Mod, so I dont know all the problems!

My only other question (s) is, what will we be taking to the pump at Snetterton will it be the Tuff Jug or a jerry can, if its the jerry can where do we re-fuel the Tuff Jug?

Also if (and I hope we dont) have to race the 2012 24hr at Croft with our mandatary 'New Croft Exhaust System' where the exhaust exits is on the same side as we re-fuel are we not causing ourselves more issues with this.................................... 
LUMACA RACING

Paul Robertson

Quote from: Derek Coghill on June 22, 2011, 02:37:06
It doesn't matter how long the neck takes to empty 20 litres because it's the same for everyone; if you get into modifications then you get into perceived advantages and so on. I'd be in favour of unmodified.
Derek, If you look at how the adaptor works you will have to modify the neck to fit a shoulder to push against with the adaptor so the fuel doesn't come out of the top of the neck.
The neck will be a club part i don't understand who will be perceiving an advantage can be had.It will NOT be permissible to modify it.You HAVE to use the club supplied parts .Those present at the agm voted for it to be that way.
To the person who has to hold the can for an undetermined period of time i would think it matters how long it takes ,with that adaptor i could see it being 4 minutes.
Simon,you will take the tuff jug to the filling station,on the two wheel barrow it says in the regs you used for the jerry can, as the regs have said for a couple of years now that decanting holds a mandatory ban from the meeting.
If you hope the 24hr race won't be at Croft where do you want to go Spa or just not do one?Those would appear, at this moment, to be the choices.
The exhaust exits to the rear on the offside ,but doesn't protrude into the wheel arch on any of the ones built,so cannot be splashed with fuel.

Paul

Simon Crook

Sorry Paul the bit where I said I hope its not at Croft is wrong, I, and I am sure I speak for many Snetterton is the home of the 24hr race it will be such a shame to move it from there - sorry again for any confusion as always what the club decides is ok for me.
As for the exhaust it was just an observation from the pictures you sent me - I have been in a race car fire  (and come to think of it a fuel spill fire) to say it was scary is an understatement! Is there any news on the exhaust being a 'buy part' or should we go ahead and build our own. 

And thank you for clarifying the fuel filling part
LUMACA RACING

Paul Robertson

The exhaust guy rang today and said by next week he would have 3 made.As you are the only person to ask for one i am not intending to have any more made .Oh ,no as yet i don't know how much it will be.
i have asked for it to be made in 3 sections with slide adjustment so it is possible to fit it regardless of original silencer and rear tow eye position.