Main Menu

Pit lane speed limit

Started by philip myatt, August 08, 2011, 10:29:31

Previous topic - Next topic

philip myatt

At Croft in the narrower Pit Lane it became more apparent how easily it would be for a serious incident to occur in the pit lane.
To help control this at Snetterton there will be Judges of Fact in the pit lane with a speed gun!! The speed measured by the gun
will be accepted as "fact", this will not be an arguable point.
The pit lane speed limit is currently set at 60kph, cars will be checked during testing on the Friday and feedback on your speed
will be available from the operators. It is the drivers responsibility to ensure that he complies.
During the race meeting exceeding the speed limit will initially result in a "drive through" penalty, persistent offenders will get
more draconian penalties. 

Martin Harrold

I thought that it was already a rule that you had to be in 2nd gear until past the race control tower? Rarely, if ever, enforced so far as most people are aware.

If we have to look down at the dimly lit speedo while driving up the pit lane, that will surely increase the risk of an accident, especially at night.

Also, it will be pretty easy for teams to spot when the radar gun operator is active in the pit lane and advise their driver accordingly.

Why not just enforce the 2nd gear rule? It's pretty easy for a marshal or 'Judge Of Fact' standing near the exit of the pit lane to hear when someone changes gear before the specified point.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Andrew Bull

What about when coming in to the pits martin,  Dip the clutch in third and coast in at 60 MPH????.  Who would know what gear you're in.
If a radar gun is in use, could an external display be connected and the speed displayed in large format.  We could all see who's guilty then!!! at least if your speed is diplayed then you have appropriate information.  Martin is quite right.  Concentrating on the task rather than looking for a speedo.  We dont have a speedo as many others which is why the second gear rule's simplicity is its brilliance, but the above hole could be exploited if no chicane is at the pit entry.

Sammie was very rudley summonsed for a talking to at Croft by a MSA (BARC?) official who was nearly hit by Sammie's car, because he believed her to be speeding. he did not look up the pit lane before almost stepping off the wall, (I saw him do It) and sammie was quite rightly in second gear, but using more of the available revs in second making more noise and giving him the impression she was speeding.

Whatever is done has to be concise; repeatable; consistant; for the whole 24hrs; not just when the 'Judge of fact' is awake; for every car; for every pit stop; and in some cases coping with mulitple cars exiting at once.   If penalties are to be applied they can only be applied when all of the aforementioned points are covered. 

One final thought I'd like to make I think that the pit lane speed is not the biggest issue (at croft with the narrower lane then yes I agree it is a bigger issue).  My personal Pet hate is when drivers take to the slow lane / apron and then drive at speed along the apron.  Thus putting people on the apron at even greater risk because of the inability of drivers to drive in the right place at the right speed.  Please could all drivers remember to drive down the pit lane, and take to the apron at an appropriate time to position the car for a pit stop..... Many thanks.
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Derek Coghill

As far as I'm aware......

There's a shoogle at the end of the pitlane, followed shortly after by a white line - that's where the speed limit starts; it ends at the white line at the other end.
The speed limit used to be "4000rpm in 2nd gear", but it was harder to police than just "2nd gear" so was dropped.

I absolutely agree about the apron! Keep an eye out for your pit crew, that's where you turn.

Trevor Williams

Andy / Derek,
The "apron" IS part of the pit lane, just a part where it is allowed to work on the cars. Therefore it is governed by the same speed limit as the rest of the lane. It is encumbant on anyone in the pitlane to be aware of there surroundings AT ALL TIMES! Too many times have I seen mechanics and team personnel totally oblivious to what is going on around them it scares me! If someone drives in a manner incompatable with general safety, they WILL be reported and action taken.
Judges of Fact are a different matter, and basically what they say, goes. If it was their opinion that someone was speeding, then that is that. I had a b*llocking from the chief pit marshal at Snett one year for "speeding" in the pits. I was however in second gear at all times and argued my case with him to the point where I think Paul had to remove me from the area, as the guy didnt know what the rule was and I was close to telling him his horroscope!
As for a display showing competitors speed? Never going to happen! It is the competitors responsibility to be under the limit, not the organisers. If they have a radar gun, fine, otherwise they an probably work it out if TSL take the correct equipment too.
Cheers, and have a good race!
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

philip myatt

It seems that the only way of reasonably enforcing a speed limit is to have a speed measuring device available for the Judges of Fact, at least it will then be fact rather than opinion.
It is impossible to prove if the car was in second gear or not.
Additionally it is suggested that our cars will do more than 60kph in second, creating an obvious problem.
Specifying a rev limit for everyone will simply not work, some rev counters are known to be more than 10% inaccurate, and also to display much lower revs when looked at through a red mist!!
The pit lane speed limit is 60kph and operates for the whole of the pit lane, not 50metres after you have entered (white line) and up to the exit white line, and it is the drivers responsibility to ensure he is under that speed. Work out your own rev limit to ensure that you don't get any "drive through's" or "stop & go".

Paul Robertson

This is about everyones safety after all.
Imagine how much time will be lost if you knock someone over in the pitlane.

gadget

what the  :-X are you all talking about?
2nd gear has worked for how long?
get a grip.
we'll soon have a copper on the end of the pit lane stopping you going out until you have collected a speeding ticket!
everyone knows if some one changes into 3rd. we as garage26 know to be careful,everyone along the pit lane would know if we changed up.
we have had the problem of drivers coming into the pit lane at stupid speed and driving over the garage apron and nearly taking out 2 people,but i did have a strong word with him about it.
he didn't do it again and doesn't really like me.
but if anyone is heading towards their garage in a hurry i would suggest that you turn in from the main pit lane just before your garage
not 6 garages before!
if you do try that manouvre you may just get a talking to.
regards gadget

Derek Coghill

"It is encumbant on anyone in the pitlane to be aware of there surroundings AT ALL TIMES!"

This includes drivers, doesn't it?

Paul Robertson

Quote from: gadget on August 13, 2011, 21:15:16
what the  :-X are you all talking about?
2nd gear has worked for how long?
get a grip.
we'll soon have a copper on the end of the pit lane stopping you going out until you have collected a speeding ticket!
everyone knows if some one changes into 3rd. we as garage26 know to be careful,everyone along the pit lane would know if we changed up.
we have had the problem of drivers coming into the pit lane at stupid speed and driving over the garage apron and nearly taking out 2 people,but i did have a strong word with him about it.
he didn't do it again and doesn't really like me.
but if anyone is heading towards their garage in a hurry i would suggest that you turn in from the main pit lane just before your garage
not 6 garages before!
if you do try that manouvre you may just get a talking to.
regards gadget
Iwould agree wayne but if someone without any measuring equipment decided you were going too fast,they could as a judge of fact have you penalised.No appeal, they are a judge of fact .The same a  phil being"out of position" at oulton the other year,no appeal, the judge of fact decided it was fact.

Alec Graham

I think Wayne that this is a Snett rule not a 2cv club rule.

Ainslie Bousfield

Can we get one of those temporary speed signs that show your speed and a smiley or fad face?

Club rents it and EVERYONE can see if you were speeding.

Might even be good for the spectators in the night, keep us all entertained.

We must know a man who can got hold of one.

Cheers

Ainslie

Simon Crook

Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING