Main Menu

seat belt mounts

Started by philip myatt, December 07, 2011, 09:38:38

Previous topic - Next topic

philip myatt

Refer to MSA rule changes just published and sent with your MSA magazine.
See section (K) Competitor Safety.
1.1.12 Harness Bar. A transverse tubular member attached across either the main hoop or backstays to accept harness mountings.
1.3.9 harness Bar spec.

This is mandatory from 1-1-2012.
This bar is to ensure that the shoulder belts are located at the correct angle.

Ensure your car is compliant to ensure no problems at scrutineering.

Cheers

Philip

Chris Yates

It's worth noting, before everyone panic-buys harness bars, that it's not mandatory to HAVE a harness bar. These regs are only clarifying materials, dimensions, etc. for if you already DO use them.

Scuderia cavallino

Am I right in thinking most people bolt through into the cross member above the fuel tank? Presume thats not too steep an angle for the regs? Am just moving onto this at the moment.

Scuderia cavallino

Ignore me, just read the regs and it is quite clear there!

philip myatt

As a clarification to the above, the new bits are a definition and a spec.
However, the installation should be compliant with k 2.1.9.
The main aspect of this rule is that the shoulder straps should be as near horizontal as possible.
The purpose of the harness bars is to help to achieve the rule.
Where the belts are at too steep an angle the stress in an accident is transferred into the seat, a 2CV accident earlier this season resulted in a broken seat, fortunately no major physical harm was done but in a different accident who knows what the outcome could be.
I can only stress that everyone should for their own safety review the seat belt installation in their own cars.

Whilst talking about safety issues I also ask everyone to look at the transverse bars mounted between the roll cage feet, please ensure that these are securely fastened to both the chassis rails.

Philip