Main Menu

gearbox gating system.

Started by neandethal, January 16, 2012, 17:24:05

Previous topic - Next topic

neandethal

Now i dont know yet how i would do this, but is it legal to put a gating system in the gearchange ie Like a ferrari one ;D so that it is more positive in its selection, i know i drive an auto normally but i would have more luck outrunning an angry grizzly bear than find all the gears in the gearbox in the right sequence! :)

i know i read somewhere you have to retain the original hardware, and we would adapt around this,

Opinions and abuse as always welcomed.

philip myatt

Is there a rule that says you are allowed to do this proposed modification?

neandethal

I suppose my glass was half full, is there a rule banning it, as opposed to permitting it! ;D

Derek Coghill

You could always read the rules and find out! And if you do so, you'll find the point of Phil's question too...

neandethal

i dont want to be pedantic or get banned before making it to the track, but this isnt modifying any existing parts such as elongating the gear shaft or changing ratios in the gearbox, it would have been an addition to what is already there, but i now understand the sentiment of the rules and recognise it isnt in the spirit of them. No problem.

philip myatt

So that everyone is clear the following extract is from the introduction in the rules.

The following Technical Regulations are set out in accordance with the MSA specified format and it should be
clearly understood that if the following texts do not clearly specify that you can do it you should work on the
principle that you cannot.

This should answer a lot of questions that get asked.