Main Menu

Limits of the track....

Started by Trevor Williams, January 27, 2012, 15:05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Williams

Just a heads up for cometitors...
The MSA have issued the Judicial Guidelines for 2012, and this year they have included specific guidance on dealing with competitors who do not stay within the white lines.
In qualifying, the guideline penalty is loss of all lap times
In races, the more times you do it, the greater the penalty gets, all the way up to exclusion.
Just as a note, the stewards are going to be monitoring the imposition of these penalties, to ensure a consistant approach is being taken by the clerks.
So........ keep it on the black stuff!!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

So,does this mean no kerb hopping then trev?

philip myatt

how many wheels still on the track?!
Is one enough......

Paul Robertson

It's a car phil.not a wheel barrow ;D

philip myatt

both wheels on one side don't always follow the same line through a corner though, a bit of oversteer due to the unsettling effect of the kerb can easily leave just one wheel "on the circuit".
This will clearly be an area where it is very subjective and the CoC's will apply it differently.
When does the penalty kick in, 3 consecutive laps or a number of laps during the race, surely a black/white flag would be needed to advise of the impending doom.

Trevor Williams

The reg is quite specific regarding what is or isn't the track. The white lines ARE, the kerbs ARE NOT.

So long as part of your car is either inside the white lines, or even on them, you are still on the track. It's not subjective, as this has always been reported by the observers on post.

As to how many times you will get away with it, it probably wont be less than zero, or more than one. And yes, the black and white flag will be used

Trevor

Mary Lindsay

QuoteSo........ keep it on the black stuff!!
That apparently means "Keep most of it on the black stuff" Trevor?

Trevor Williams

Q14.5 a - the white lines defining the track edges are
considered to be part of the track but the kerbs
are not, and;
Q 14.5 b - a driver will be judged to have left the track if no
part of the car remains in contact with the track
Pretty clear?
All the MSA are doing is getting some consistancy in applying these regs. Over the past few years since they have been in the blue book, some officials have been not too keen to apply them because, under C2.1.5 i -
Penalty points will be imposed for the following
(i) Driving – breach of 1.1.5, Q.14.2, Q.14.4, Q.14.4.2,
Q.14.5, Q.14.6
and they didn't want to impose penalty points on competitors.
Me? Hit em with drive throughs as a minimum after the necessary warning(s) ( I think the most I gave out was 8 or so in one race last year)
It is also more of a problem at certain circuits - Thruxon (Club chicane now that they have lowered the inside kerb for the BSB), Brands, Silverstone (copse exit) etc.......

Trevor Williams

Just a gentle reminder that penalties for going outside of the track limits are being rigorously applied this season.........

Nick Paton

I'm assuming the all the rules will be enforced in a manner consistent with that in touring cars, given they are also run by BARC. 

I think its a great "new" rule - going to dramatically reduce gardening costs at the circuits...

:)

N

philip myatt

same rules as touring cars!!!! have you watched them.

Paul Robertson

The rule is there are no rules?

Trevor Williams

I can assure you all that they will be applied consistantly......, just not by me!!

Derek Coghill

Are you going to apply them inconsistently, Trev?

Trevor Williams

Derek
I'm not allowed to do anything judicial for 2CV races.....