Main Menu

A few questions

Started by abfitness2cv, April 07, 2012, 14:48:13

Previous topic - Next topic

abfitness2cv

Hi all, made my debut at Oulton and had numerous problems. That said I enjoyed it and everyone I met seemed very friendly and helpful. Looking at ways to improve our car, Weber carbs.... what are the costs involved and how much difference do they make? We got our car Thurs evening before Oulton and we don't have a splitter, where would we get one from? I also noticed our car has only one wiper, I really don't look forward to driving in the wet like that! I noticed most cars had two. Our left rear was distinctly cambered, in my race it was a pig and wanted to spit me off at every right hand corner (not ideal around Oulton). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
Adam (81 ex Overflow car)

abfitness2cv

Also noticed on TSL that our transponder was not working (how did they get times? etc) are these easy to source/fit?

Paul Robertson

The weber is £200 and makes some difference but not that much adam,the splitter is available from phil myatt.If you need a wiper mechanism i can bring you one to the agm.The rear camber should be 4ish degrees make sure the bearings are tight before resetting anything.
i would suggest a trackday and get used to the car before making too many changes.
Are you sure the car has a transponder?

Paul

Matthew Hollis

We all run Solex carbs, and although I would say we are now struggling to keep up with the really quick cars, we can still comfortably mix it with most of the Weber runners, so I would not recommend switching to the Weber just yet unless you really want to!  You can buy a transponder from TSL, unfortunately they are a bit expensive, but ultimately you won't get them any cheaper (even on Ebay).  If you are stuck at a meeting without a transponder you can hire one from TSL for the event, just need to pay a deposit (though they won't like it if you keep doing this at every meeting - they are really just there if you have no alternative).  Without a transponder they have to time you manually the old fashioned way, which is why a transponder is mandatory.  They are easy to fit, just need a positive feed from the ignition and an earth.

abfitness2cv

Thanks Paul/Matt, TSL page says car 81 transponder not working on each page. I think we'll get the car straight bit by bit and then look at the carb. We were roughly 7 secs per lap off the pace (although it was my 1st race, my team-mate Lee has done the 24hr and is a winner in Locosts.... he's no slouch and he couldn't get any closer either) I appreciate this is a competitive series with some very good drivers but was not expecting our car to be that slow. Onwards and upwards!

Matthew Hollis

Oulton does have a tendency to exagerate the gaps between the cars, I'll think you will find you are a lot closer at Silverstone (last year most of the grid was covered by less than 3 seconds).

abfitness2cv

Thanks Matt, It will be interesting to see! Paul, if you could bring the wiper motor that would be great, will bring some cash with me. See you guys at the AGM next week. You've got a long way to travel Matt........... oh wait a minute!