Main Menu

Starting 2CV Racing

Started by Baker93, October 28, 2012, 11:56:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Baker93

Hi guys, I am thinking about starting 2cv racing. I was just wondering what prep work that needs to be down to start racing. Does anyone have a bit of a guide that I could follow to start doing prep work to my car. Cheers.

Simon Crook

Hi Bakerlec - welcome to the world of 2cv racing, I was in a similar position to you four years ago, where abouts in the country are you, I am sure that you will not be far from someone, I was very lucky I had the legend that is Pete Sparrow less than a mile away from where I lived (before he and I both moved) - I am in Swindon Wiltshire (although at the moment deepest darkist Africa) if thats anywhere you (the Swindon bit), you are more than welcome to come along and look at my car. - you are getting into one of, if not the countries best one make series and they really are a nice bunch too  ;D
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Derek Coghill

Hello, if you go to this page....

http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/technical/gettingstarted

....you'll find a downloadable version of the series regulations. This tells you both what you need to do to the car, and also what you're allowed to do to the car....

Happy reading!

Nick Paton

Hey Alec,

...well for a kick off you may have to use your nickname to avoid getting confused with THE Alec (2012 championship winner!).

Secondly, I would say, buy a race car not build one...

However, you will likely find that it comes with an engine which is less than hot... as hot engines are generally not let go.   I would thus suggest you might like to buy one (or two if you're really serious - they are quite easy to mash up!) of my base engines to build a good 'un... see for sale page in the forum.

Welcome onboard!

N

Baker93

Thanks for all the replies lads. I am currently restoring a cv at the moment but hopefully I have a cv lined up ready to transform into my race car. How easy is it to get your race licence as I don't have one. Also how much would a season cost racing on average as I need to look at my money finances. Cheers

Matthew Hollis

It's straightforward to get your licence, just follow the instructions on this page here:

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=784

As for how much it will cost per season  :o
It all depends on how well you want to do, so it is difficult to quantify exactly, but as a minimum you will need all the safety gear (helmets, overalls etc.), which could be anywhere between £300-£600 (or £3000 if money is no object!) all in.  One thing to remember is don't scrimp on the things like helmets, some are definitely more comfortable than others.  My ARDS test (to get the licence) was £200, suspect it has gone up since then.  A National B licence (minimum required) is about £60, joining the BARC (compulsory) is a bit over £100 now I think, joining the Classic 2CV Racing Club (compulsory) is £50.
Everything else will get spent on the car mostly - shop around as prices vary considerably.  You will need as a minimum a plumbed-in fire extinguisher, a racing seat, a rollcage, safety harnesses, 4 Toyo tyres (through the club), and a club camshaft (also through the club) unless you choose to compete in the Economy class (this class allows people to go racing with just the necessary safety features, so no need for modified exhausts, modified engines, modified springs etc.).
I've honestly got no idea how much that would all cost but you could maybe manage the minimum requirements for £600-£1000. Obviously it would cost a lot more if you wanted to modify more.
Season entry for 2013 is from £1200 - see here:

http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1913.0.html

So all in, I'm guessing maybe £3000 to get on the grid? Bear in mind, your first season is always the most expensive as you are having to buy all the gear, but once you are up and running, in future years you'll just have entry fees and fuel to worry about (in theory!)