Main Menu

Re: Re: Re: CAMS - a lobe sided view

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 02:11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Terry Collier on August 17, 2003 at 19:16:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: CAMS - a lobe sided view posted by Orange Boy on August 17, 2003 at 13:25:57:

Hi,

Firstly I apologise to everyone for missing the discussion on this subject at the AGM, but I did have a little issue of a strip down question to deal with. Anyway, my views were well known to most everyone after nearly two years of discussion. In the end I think that it was best if the members made up their minds without me.

The sentiments of Orange Boy I feel as well. However, the first point of changing from something with which we are so "familiar" made the choice of change difficult. A free Cam would cause more problems for more people than solutions. We want close racing where driver skill becomes more important than hi tech development.
However, as a formula we must move forward, we cannot forever stay in a timewarp producing the times of six years ago. We must consider innovation but must not lose the identity of the 2CV, something with which I would accuse the Belgians. In addition we have a marvellous motor sport entry formula. The nature of the racing encourages the development of driving skill, the cost is not excessive, the knowledge needed is not excessive and we offer the experience of driving on the best British Circuits. We are not just about the 24 hours.

A point was made about wear and tear on other components. Part of the design of the cam took this into account. The new design should not increase strain significantly upon the push rods, rocker arms, springs or valves. I tested the various pressures and am very happy about the results.

There are other designs which would produce more significant performance results but this was not my objective. My prime objective was to suggest to the Club a standard cam, which was not expensive, was consistent, would give consistent cam performance balanced to our gear box issue and could be policed. Anyone who tries to reprofile a reprofiled cam will be found out, so save your money.

So thank you everyone who voted for the new cam. Your existing engine will be better but we now all have to think of a new "cheat" for pit lane gossip. Thank goodness. In addition all development thought will now be above the bottom end which is accessible to all with far fewer nuts and bolts.

I will be putting on here sometime soon details of how I would install the new cam.

Regards

Terry