Main Menu

Why is there a new trophy????

Started by Trevor Williams, September 03, 2013, 21:18:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Williams

The subject says it all!

The trophy for the 24 Hour Race is a perennial one, and is the property of the Club.

Winning one race, let alone three (as two teams have) eight (as one team has) or twenty doe not give anyone the right to keep Club property!!

Give the correct trophy to the team that scored a very popular win this year!!!!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

gadget

I have to agree with you Trevor. It as well as many others are club trophies owned by the club and not there to be given away as presents.
This is how clubs in all fields of sport generate the history that many others look back on in the future.
Manchester United have won the FA Cup many times but it is still owned by the FA!!!!!!!
Jack Nicholas won 18 majors but the PGA didn't say "here you are jack as you have won that 3 times you can keep it".

Who are responsible for making the decision to give away club property??????
Did the Board make this decision????
Did the decision get approved at the AGM ??????
Did the Chairman give it away?????
Did Nick Roads give it away??????
I personally think we need to sort this out somehow and get the original trophy back where it belongs because next year when TGR wins the 24hrs I would be happier seeing our names go on the proper trophy with all the others.
It is club property.
It is not for anyone to give away.
It is our club's history.

Are all the other club trophies safe?????

Finally, I am sure Team Stinky would rather have their name on the same trophy as they did in previous years.
Well done to them and I hope they do get the correct cup.
Yours
        Gadget

barney rubble

Wayne
I think you speak for many in the club!
It would be the honourable thing to do to hand it back, just to have your name on the trophy should be enough
How big is Nicks sideboard I am sure he has other trophies! !!!!
Need I say more

Lien93

I whole heartily agree. I would have thought the person responsible would have offered an explanation by now, the fact that nothing is being said openly is speaking volumes.
Sort it out, please.

gadget

not sure if Nick's trophies spend much time on the sideboard!!!!!!

Nick Roads

All seems a little confused on the trophy issue.

Rent Boys (RB) thought it was agreed they could keep the trophy; there is a tradition of keeping trophies in many sports where it is won 3 times in a row. On this basis they paid for a new (larger, shinier) one at their cost which was presented this year.
I am told that the trophy RB have only dates back to 2006 (eg no teams on it before that date). A couple of people I have asked think the 'perpetual' only started in 2006. Anyone know what happened before that, I only started racing that year.
No formal agreement that I am aware of to cover the replacement but RB acted in good faith as they, and I for the moment, see it.
RB were/are happy to add a plinth to include the previous teams as an addition and to capture all the teams before 2006 if that helps.
Minutes are all published on the Forum and the Board have tried to be as transparent as possible in recent years.

Aubrey been asked to produce a report on the trophy replacement so can anyone/ everyone email him with comments rather than using different parts of the forum to comment on this it would be appreciated. He can then discuss that report with members at the AGM.

Bas

if keeping the trophy was agreed how come so many people were suprised?   who agreed the decision?   why were people not informed about it?   surely a club decision........to get your hands on that trophy is the ultimate one can aim for in this club......please dont spoil th
at experience......it is truely special....
Tete Rouge Racing since 1993

Aubrey Brocklebank

There have been a few posts on this in various threads in the last couple of days. It seems that this may be a classic case of there being two sides to every story.

In the absence of Mervyn who is on holiday Nick and I have been asked to try to establish the facts and to formulate a recommendation that can be put in the first instance to the board when it next meets next month.

To that end any information of a factual nature that anyone can supply to us would be gratefully received in particular information relating to original trophy.  We would prefer feedback via email
Aubrey

Trevor Williams

Nick
The trophy that Rent Boys have decided to keep was provided by BARC as a perpetual trophy for the 2006 race onwards I think. NOONE has the right to decide to keep it and provide a new one, no matter how well intentioned. If a proposal is made to keep the "new" trophy is made, that would be another great example of the club closing the stable door once the horse has bolted...

Unless it is written in the Club's rules that the trophy can be kept by a team winning a certain number of the races, or a decision taken by the membership has been made, the trophy is the Club's property. And what other clubs choose to do with their property is neither here nor there!

Rent Boys MUST give the trophy back, simple solution

gadget

Simon Crook

Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

gadget

meyrick I got this as a personal message don't know if it was you that sent this, but don't know why it came thru as personal.
it should go on the forum as it concerns all members.

Wayne,

I'm not going to add fuel to the fire by posting publicly on the trophy, Aubrey and Nick both know what happened, and I'll leave it up to them to deal with this.

I did want to make a couple of points privately though:  neither ManU nor Jacklin ever won the FA / PGA championship three times in a row. Blackburn Rovers did in the 1800s, but that predates the FA Trophy itself; and Walter Hagen is the only person ever to have one the PGA championship three times in a row; and that predates the current stroke play championship.

In the entire history of motor racing, no amateur driver team other than us has ever won the same 24hr three times in a row. Only Audi (Le Mans) and Porsche (Nurburgring) have ever achieved it three times in a row with the same driver team; so I personally find the overall reaction a bit disappointing. The 06 trophy ran out of space, so we had to add another plinth to it; and that plinth is now full. The previous winners were so unconcerned with history, that they couldn't even be bothered to engrave their names one it, which we did for them, so we are three of the seven names on it.

As for where the trophy that preceded the 06 trophy (presumably covering from 1900-2005; ie TWICE the time that the 06 trophy covers today) has gone, I note only silence. If people are really concerned about history and continuity, why isn't a rather more serious effort being made to find that one?  The reality is that a 7-year-old trophy isn't the real history here.

Anyhow, I'm comfortable we have acted entirely properly; and will leave it up to Nick and Aubrey to sort things out / explain things in due course.

Reply to this Personal Message here: http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;f=inbox;pmsg=737;quote;u=1319

Trevor Williams

A little bit of history on the trophy situation in the past of the 24 hour race.

From inception until when the event was spomsored by Stingray, the event did not have a specific trophy. Any trophy was provided by the organisers in the usual manner

For the races that Stingray sponsored, Simon Lieth provided a trophy.

When Stingray decided not to continue with the sponsorship of the event, BARC provided a trophy for the event. This is the 2CV 24 Hour trophy. The intention of this was to provide some history and stature to the event.

THIS is the trophy that should be presented to the winners of the event irrespective of how many times others have won the event.

If you desire a replica to commemorate your wins, then either petition the CLUB to provide one, or buy one yourself...

No one gets to keep the British Grand Prix trophy, no one gets to keep the 2CV Racing Club Championship trophy, and no one should get to keep the 2CV 24 Hour Race trophy.

simon turner

The club championship rules don't allow the 24h trophy to be kept, the same way that the club championship trophies are returned each year. I don't believe the club members would vote to allow the championship trophies to be retained and replaced every year. It is special to win a club trophy and to be able to add your name to the other winners names. 24 hour club trophy should be passed onto the rightful winners each year.
TĂȘte Rouge Racing

Aubrey Brocklebank

I have posted the Board report and its conclusion in the General section
::)
Aubrey