Main Menu

2014 fixture list

Started by Frank Barnard, November 27, 2013, 10:24:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Barnard

That's it I think, the end of my 2CV racing career! Nothing further south than Pembrey & none of the old favourites: Silverstone, Brands and Mallory, though the last might be dead and gone anyway. Pity there can't be more of a geographical spread but no doubt it's all down to money. Anyway thanks to the Club for some wonderful (if off-and-on) racing 1996-2013. It was fun, as they say, while it lasted.

gregpage

Sadly the end for us to Frank will miss the 24 hour which was the only meeting we attended for the last 6 years.Very disappointed mechanics who have built a second car for the event with the help of Wayne,they were intending to do 24hour as well.Snetterton was good but financial pressure possibly created the need to move,although a consultation would have been usefull to see if teams may have been willing to pay an increased entry fee and how many would not be interested in going  to Wales.I had just persuaded some of my local ex motorcyle racer friends to buy a car and  do the 24hour  event next year to but not to be as they say

Chris Yates

If you're willing to pay a greater entry fee, then why not put that money into transport costs to get to Anglesey? It really is a great little circuit and it would be a shame for you to have put in all that effort on your cars not to attend..

There may be a chance that the entry fee will be cheaper at Anglesey. Also with the recent entry fee increases brought about by MSV, I think many competitors would be having second thoughts about doing it at Snet next year.

Additionally, I understand the club is in talks with the circuit, who may be interested in providing free catering for the event to all teams. Surely that would help offset the perceived extra costs of travelling to Anglesey?

Don't worry, you don't even need a passport!

gregpage

The point is not the cost or the distance for me personally Chris. The problem I have is my wife Deb who has been amazingly supportive but needs my help all the time now as she cannot get out of wheelchair and to drag her to Wales for 5 days is quiet difficult . Snetterton was fine as local and I could go back and forth to house and bring her for just the race that is why we started doing it in the first place.Hope it goes ok in wales as knowing Palmer getting back to Snett will be very difficult.Would have been nice if a sprint race had been secured at Snetterton instead,is there a Welsh commitee now in charge.

Derek Coghill

Why the grumbling about distances? It's about 50 miles closer for me, I think.

Frank Barnard

They're all closer for you Derek, and all further away for me. A spread would have been good but like I say, a pity but understandable.

neandethal

Have i missd a post? where is the full fixture list on the website, cheers, Ian.

Bodger

Blimey this is a rubbish spread of venues, by all means spread it around for everyone but this is all North and West.....
The 24hr race at Anglesey is as far away from most people as possible.....sadly we will not be going as the discount in price will probably be eaten up in time and fuel costs.
Why has this not been discussed with everyone so we can see the options on venues and prices ?
Rgds Bodger.

naughtybear

@ Ian,

mentioned at AGM
oulton end of march
pembrey end of may
croft end of june
cadwell end of july
not sure of dates and all is subject to confirmation as I understood
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

Simon Crook

I am sure that a lot of discussions have taken place regarding the fixtures, I suppose with Mallory out of the picture now, that leaves BARC with a reduced number of venues and race weekends available to them, so I am sure that we are not the only series that is having the concerns raised. On the 24hr front I think the move to Anglesey makes perfect financial sense for the club, and with the guy who runs Anglesey who made the effort to come to the 2013 24hr race to see what its all about shows to me that he is interested in having us there, also having the 2cvGB meet at the same time can only add to the event that the 24hr Race is.
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Martin Harrold

We've had a wonderful 10 years of 24 hour racing at Snetterton. Jamie, Debs and everyone in their great team has been helpful, supportive and encouraging in every way possible. It's a great circuit, very well run and a credit to MSV.
I came into this weirdly addictive racing about 14 years ago, and in those days we all had to get ourselves across the Irish Sea to Mondello Park. And it was time consuming and expensive to do that. But what a circuit. Fantastic bends and twists and hairpins all in a mile and a half. I know our tyres were different then, but we got through a couple of sets in the race, so wheel changing was an extra pit lane skill. I believe the Red Bull F1 crew studied slow motion film of how we did it!
  Although I've not been there yet, the layout of Anglesey is more reminiscent of Mondello, with some extra features. And I've heard that the circuit owners are making us very welcome and giving us top billing for our race weekend. We'll be part of the very extensive island tourist promotion programme. We might even build up a crowd around the circuit over time. And our friends at 2CVGB are having their National meet there, which will further add to a great atmosphere.
  Marshals can bring their caravans and their families, park them with a sea view and make a holiday of their weekend.
  Yes, the change will be a challenge for some teams based in the south-east. For those like my good friend Greg, the change presents some special difficulties. He and his wife have been stalwart supporters of the race and if we can't help him find a solution, we'll miss him and his team greatly.
  With any change, there will be plusses and minuses, and everyone has to adapt to those in their own way. Only time will tell whetherthe change of circuit is a good decision, but if we judge it mainly by the quality of the racing, then the early indications are good.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Mick Storey

The provisional venues are on the home page of this website. Anglesey is quite a long drive from here and I cant wait to do it. Every time Ive been there its been a good meeting for racing and socials & this year has the potential to be the best. Its a real shame about Greg, but understandable. Cadwell and Oulton are two of the most interesting circuits in the country, cant wait (although given my current engine situation its probably good that I have to).

Pete Sparrow

Personally I think this is the best bunch of circuits in the country and the most excited ive been about getting in a car for a while. I am after all, a racing driver (some may argue) and i want a circuit that challenges me and my car. These circuits all do this. I will look forward to driving them.
I can't say I'm sorry about leaving Snett, it over 4 hours away from me, its not a 2cv circuit, cars dont suit it and it gets boring unless youre in a pack or waving to the spectator. MSV have high running costs and this is passed on in entry fees to their circuits, this is starting to have an impact on the club.
We dont have a massive choice in 24hr venues and to have a circuit actually go out of their way to have us is great. I think whats planned for the weekend, from what i'm hearing, sounds fantastic. I just want to thank those involved for putting the deal together. People that used to go to Mondello years ago where pleased to see Anglesey, it meant you had about another 6 hours to go before you got to the track.
I would be really sorry to see anybody not make the move to Wales for any reason but things move on, no one wanted to leave Mondello but it happened and we carried on. Anglesey will be great, families can explore the island, we have the 2cv club to impress and its one heck of a circuit that will give everyone a new challenge.
I'm up for it, can't wait.
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Lien93

I totally agree, it's gonna be great!

Derek Coghill

The layout of the circuit certainly begs comparison with Mondello. I'm very much looking forward to it too.