Main Menu

2014 24 Hour Race August 29-31 - Anglesey as venue confirmed and entry details

Started by Nick Roads, January 09, 2014, 20:50:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Roads

For 2014 the 24 Hour race is to move to Anglesey.

As discussed at the AGM the 24 Hour Race is moving after 10 great years at Snetterton

Details as to the entry forms and some more background and entry forms are available on the main site http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/joinus

I will send out an email in the next couple of weeks with some more information but highlights are:

Increased testing on Friday , minimum 4 hours
Race start will be early afternoon on the Saturday to allow teams to finish at a reasonable time on Sunday
Prices are very similar to the last few years
Mini Grand's are returning
£ 1 million worth of new pits and garages opened at the end of 2013 in preparation for our arrival..http://www.itv.com/news/wales/story/2013-09-09/anglesey-circuits-new-pit-complex/
A shared event with 2CVGB who will be holding their National Meeting over the same weekend
Expected opportunities for road going 2CV's to have some parade laps on Saturday morning

It is sad to move from Snetterton. They have provided a great facility and warm welcome in the last decade. The change this year allows us however to keep costs similar for the teams and to have a tie-in with 2CVGB and a wider audience for the race.

Derek Coghill

Paul

At the agm we were told that the 24hr moving to Anglesey would make it cheaper and the 2hr at pembrey might be free or something like £100/£150. It now would appear the 24hr is dearer and the 2hr at pembrey has trebled if not quadrupled from the original estimate,
Then there is the matter of subsidies/discounts if the club wants to encourage more cars on the grid it should encourage them in both classes not discriminate against one in favour of another.
We are supposed to be a low cost formula, is  £820.00 for one weekend's entries really low cost? Would the club have done better by subsidizing this meeting rather than an upto now under subscribed/unpopular class.

gadget

hi paul,
yes I have to agree that at the AGM all the talk was of this season being similar cost to last year and the 24hrs being cheaper at angelsey than at snetterton. I thought that was the main reason for the change in venue.
having looked today I can't see anything about this years costs on the forum. where is it that is going to cost £820 as that does seem an expensive weekend.
Gadget

Paul

You have to follow the link in nicks post Wayne. Its obviously too embarrassing to post the costs on here. £370 + £450 for a weekend at pembrey if you can't find £1450 in 6 weeks.

Nick Roads

Wayne

I used the link as we want to keep all the entry forms in one point and not on various forum threads. Its the official part of the website for entry prices and details.

I am only really involved with 24 Hour but did see some of the information regarding Sprint pricing. A lot of time and effort from the Board in trying to get the right balance.

Paul is right that its £ 1450 for a full season this year for the regular teams who enter in advance of first race being
4 x race weekends of:
8 x 20 minute races
1 x 2 hour race

Last year if you did all 5 race weekends (Gadget and the  majority of teams did all 5) then it was over £ 1500 for the season of Sprints
5 x race weekends of:
8 x 20 minute races
2 x 10 minute races

So less travel and more time on track and lower cost for racing for the vast majority of regulars.

Paul is right that those who do not race the whole championship this year may end up paying more but so be it. Pembrey in £ per racing hour for those who want to try an endurance is cheaper than the other race weekends (£ 370 for 40 minutes). BARC and circuits try to charge by the hour. 

Snetterton via BARC were asking for a 5 figure price rise I was told in 2014. Anglesey is a little more expensive than Snet 2013 but cheaper than Snet 2014. 

24 Hour teams do however get more track time (much longer testing) and we can start the race early pm to suit the teams and let crews get home etc which was a major moan from Snetterton last year and was a reason given by some teams who did not come in 2013 at all.

I was not at AGM but the decision to support Economy Class was agreed at the previous Board Meeting and was clearly an effort to try and support low cost racing.

naughtybear

I have to agree with Paul that figures have gone up quite considerably from the talk of pembrey endurance being free
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

naughtybear

p.s. to last post - can anyone confirm or deny if the 2hr pembrey is part of the championship as in counting towards the points?

Paul

According to the front page yes. Although that says it costs £2000 to build an economy class car and last week it was £1000, so better to check the regulations. LOL

Paul

Quote from: Nick Roads on January 12, 2014, 19:10:58
Wayne

I used the link as we want to keep all the entry forms in one point and not on various forum threads. Its the official part of the website for entry prices and details.

I am only really involved with 24 Hour but did see some of the information regarding Sprint pricing. A lot of time and effort from the Board in trying to get the right balance.

Paul is right that its £ 1450 for a full season this year for the regular teams who enter in advance of first race being
4 x race weekends of:
8 x 20 minute races
1 x 2 hour race

Last year if you did all 5 race weekends (Gadget and the  majority of teams did all 5) then it was over £ 1500 for the season of Sprints
5 x race weekends of:
8 x 20 minute races
2 x 10 minute races

So less travel and more time on track and lower cost for racing for the vast majority of regulars.

Paul is right that those who do not race the whole championship this year may end up paying more but so be it. Pembrey in £ per racing hour for those who want to try an endurance is cheaper than the other race weekends (£ 370 for 40 minutes). BARC and circuits try to charge by the hour.  

Snetterton via BARC were asking for a 5 figure price rise I was told in 2014. Anglesey is a little more expensive than Snet 2013 but cheaper than Snet 2014.  

24 Hour teams do however get more track time (much longer testing) and we can start the race early pm to suit the teams and let crews get home etc which was a major moan from Snetterton last year and was a reason given by some teams who did not come in 2013 at all.

I was not at AGM but the decision to support Economy Class was agreed at the previous Board Meeting and was clearly an effort to try and support low cost racing.
Nick,last year if you had competed in the previous season you had a discount on the club class championship of £50 per meeting ,this made the cost £1050 now it is £1450 my mathematics says this means everyone will end up paying more unlesss you are in economy class.
Oh and we didn't do 10 minute races included in the price that was the previous year as that was the meeting i resigned as chairman at.

abfitness2cv

Is there anything standing in the way of current club class car (running on Avo's or Gaz shocks) having it's race engine removed, replaced with a standard engine and therefore being eligible for Economy class? If so, this is very tempting given the cost of race engines and the discount for Economy entries.

Paul

Nick Roads

Paul - Mallory was the 5th race at £ 330 in 2013 which most teams did. So you need to add that to your figures. Also the average that teams paid to do all the races was around £ 1450 in 2013 as not everyone got the discounts so I feel it is more racing hours, less travel time for the same amount for the average team.

Might pay to start a new thread under  Races (not 24 Hours) on this is not that relevant to 24 Hour?

naughtybear

quote "Paul is right that those who do not race the whole championship this year may end up paying more but so be it" from Nick Roads

I don't think that a "so be it" is the correct attitude when looking to recruit new cars, teams and drivers.

Paul

Ah,but you didn't Have to do Mallory as it was non championship,however the pembrey 2hr is ,so therefore in terms of the championship an expensive addition.
I noticed this thread as the only easy way to find the costs for the forthcoming season,and we were promised at the agm that this year's 24hr would be cheaper, not better value for money ,
but cheaper. It quite clearly is not.
I have to say I feel the information given at the agm was misleading at best and had we been presented with the correct prices the 2hr race may not have been so readily accepted.