Main Menu

Hans device mandatory from 2016

Started by Paul, November 17, 2014, 13:48:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

For those of you who have missed it, on page 14 of the MSA magazine it says Frontal Head Restraints will become mandatory in 2016.So if like me you bought a new helmet this year make sure you get the most out of it ready for 2016 when you may have to buy another as well as the FHR.

Francis Rottenburg

I'll be looking for the full frontal lobotomy if I can find one on Demon Tweeks.  Do I get a club discount? 

I presume we will be uprating the engine specs to take advantage of the advanced crash protection, there must be quite a few ex-F1 V8's lying around unused and going cheap......

Nick Roads

This post quite informative on pistonheads:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=198&t=1460935&mid=0&i=20&nmt=HANS+to+be+mandatory+from+2016&mid=0

I was looking to use HANS in 2015 anyway, HANS claim they become effective for any crash over 35 mph .. so I would need a Hans Device for just under £ 300. I am allowed to share this with another driver assuming they are similar size to me.
My helmet has HANS posts.
My seat is ok for HANS but will need to add in a harness bar into the safety cage which sounds a bit tricky/ expensive.
My straps are 3 inch wide which are allowable but would be sensible to use 2 inch when they need replacing.

Paul

Nick,i have a price of £240 for a FHR ,might be + carriage but includes VAT

nick nice toes

Where have you seen these Paul.
Not too sure whether prices will increase or decrease with future demand.

Trevor Williams

Unfortunately this has been on the cards for many years.....
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

gadget

do we assume these will also have a 5 years life span?

Paul

They may well be Wayne, although they could just make it the straps if we are lucky! ho f*****g ho

Trevor Williams

At the moment there is no lifespan of the HANs device. If it is involved in an accident, I believe it must be checked by the manufacturer, and the teathers replaced (the same as seat belts).

As it is, the pre-occupation with the lifespan of equipment is misplaced. For instance, if you have a Snell 2005 helmet, and bought it in 2005, it is able to be used until 31st December 2018. At that time, my lid will be 12 years old, and I think that I will have got my money's worth out of it (if it was still being used...)

As I said earlier, the mandating of FHRs has been on the cards for years, at least since 2005, so to have got away with it for 11 years is quite some going....

Paul

It's not the mandating I have a problem with trev, it's the timescale. I will have used my helmet possibly 9 times by the end of next year. Then I will have to replace it yet again, not use it for 12 years and get decent value for money.

Pete Sparrow

Chaps
re- HANs devices.
Steve at Sabelt has got them and it anyone wants to email me a part number for Demon Tweeks, i will happily forward any discount i get there to you. might not be much but better than a poke in the eye.
looks like I will have to buy both soon as well then....
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Simon Crook

and don't forget if you have an 'in date' helmet you can fit hans posts to it
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Trevor Williams

Simon,
Be careful.... If you have a SA2005 helmet, the posts have to be fixed by the manufacturer or their nominated installer. Not many are doing the retro fit option on these helmets as I believe the installation requires a captive nut to be installed in the helmet shell.

If you have a SA2010 helmet, these are normally pre-drilled and have a threaded insert installed during manufacturing which enables you to just screw in the SA2010 compatable HANS posts.

FYI, the FIA ISC appendix L gives a concordance table for the two approved HANS standards and what can be used with either device

Cheers

Trevor

Paul

You can't do what one guy has posted he did a few years ago then Trev. Drilled his own helmet, bought some nuts and posts from DT's , installed it all himself and has been competing with it ever since.
I asked the company i bought my helmet from about having posts fitted,they won't do them,they suggested I bought kits from DT's and fitted them myself "it's easy" apparently.

Simon Crook

Thanks Trevor (hope all is well)

Paul I did a bit of research too, plenty of videos on the interweb  showing you how to do it including the DT available ones - I however will need a new helmet at the end of 2015 so will get one already with the posts fitted - will probably go along the Sabelt route
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING