Main Menu

gearbox oil

Started by neandethal, April 13, 2015, 12:53:29

Previous topic - Next topic

neandethal

would be interested to know what gearbox oil people are recommending, straight non-synthetic 90 or 75-90, or are some of you running synthetic.

Chris Yates

Whatever's in the Haynes. I think it's Hypoid 80.

Francis Rottenburg

The ever missed Graham Harper ran autmatic transission fluid in his and said that he had no problems during the 24 hour.  Granted he had rather eccentric views on things but his cars were very fast whie ethey ran.  I tried it a long time ago but my memory is that it spewed out into the clutch area so Graham may have modified the seal.  Pete told me years ago that it didn't make much difference but that may be something I may have made up after a few lemonades......

Trevor Williams

Sparrow used to run the yellow baby-puke looking stuff from Demon Tweeks
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Sean

Francis, your lemonade addled memory is correct. Atf did make it into his boxes.as did the bog standard multigrade oil used by most modern(ish)Citroens
I use a multigrade synthetic gearoil.
Its worth noting that the Hypoid bit is unnecessary for 2cv boxes and the additives used to reach the GL5 standard may cause damage to the yellow metals.

Caryl Wills

We use the yellow baby puke stuff too. It's called Red Line Superlight Shockproof Gear Oil and is indeed available from Demon Tweeks and other lubricant emporiums.

We used it very successfully in the gearbox of the BMW car we raced at Zandvoort. There was a rumor (probably started by me) that we had gearbox problems. On further investigation the gearbox was fine and put up with 6 hours of running and 3 hours of Tovey abuse under full race conditions (including a start that passed most of the field of euro Hybrid racers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M_tc6lVflg&feature=youtu.be). My 'off' was caused by an oil pipe coming off the oil cooler (wrong hose clamp fitted) and spraying hot engine oil all over the driver's side tyres. It created a personal oil slick I just couldn't get away from ::).

nick nice toes

I have never had a problem when using the standard ep 89 or 90.
I have hammered boxes all this season and had no problem.
Not too sure you need extra lubrication properties. If you use your selector properly you should have no problems ....

gasklep

I'm interested too.
We drive a EU Classic. We used a Dutch brand Kroon as gearbox oil but after a few races it came out white and full of bubbles. The car is stored in a dry building so this amount of condens should not me possible so how on earth......
Before Snetterton we changed to an other brand http://news.mpmoil.nl/?id=mineral-transmission-oil-for-classic-cars MPM oil. The first tests showed a lower gearbox temperature (70 degrees C on top of the gearbox measured with a infrared sensor) but when we checked it after the race it came out black. So before Spa we changed again, this time back to Kroon but now a synthetic oil with the right stamps on it. But also this oil came out black after the race...

We always ran API GL4 type of gearbox oil and always flushed it when we changed to an other type of oil.
this time a sample is going to be investigated. I hope it is going to tell us why it is getting this black....
The gearbox is not giving problems at the moment but we dont want surprises during a race. It just has to be good..

The two middle bottles are from the gearbox. The small one is new oil, the big one is used for the Spa 24h.

Do you guys change oil after each race??

Chris Yates

Interesting! I don't think many of us in the UK change gearbox oil after every race. Engine oil after 24hr race - of course.

I have never seen gearbox oil coming out black, that is strange. I'm sure someone will be able to suggest why that is happening soon!

What weight is the oil that you run in the gearbox? I think I use 75/80 grade [GL4] in mine (Millers oils)