Main Menu

Fuel injection - lets make it even

Started by RLambert, April 14, 2015, 09:06:04

Previous topic - Next topic

RLambert

It's not about going faster Derek it's about being able to have a decent race!

Nick clarke

A clean tank and good filters are needed to run well on a carb or injection a bit of crud will stop a £70 high pressure pump as quick as blocking a jet
Basic set up parts would be around a grand and then to be safe you need spares  imagine at the start of a 24 hour race it would be a nightmare if your ecu went down so a £600 spare ecu ? Just in case

steve walford

The trouble is that no system is 100% reliable all that happens is that you exchange one set of faults for another so blocked jets will be exchanged for bad connections, troublesome fuel pumps, electrical interference & software crashes in reality if you are looking for 100% reliability then motorsport is not for you.

one of the things that appealed to me about 2cv racing was the single class (prior to economy class) so wherever you finish on track that is your race result not as in many series where they are split into several classes and nobody watching is quite sure who is racing who.

I can understand the idea and reasons behind the economy class but to start adding classes either with bike engines or an injected club+ class as far as I can see will only detract from the series and result in smaller entries

LPGo

Hello, My Name is Geo and one of the administrators (Russel) of the international 2cv friends forum has pointed me to this topic.

You must know I'm driving my 2cv's for the last 7 years with a programmable fuel-injection and ignition (Megasquirt) with as a highlight
converting my 2cv to a turbo drivven car. (Smart turbo and intercooler).. I think most of you have seen my youtube videos...

But in my opinion all these aftermarket programmable efi systems are made for 6, 8 or more cylinder engines but not reelly for our  a small 2cv engines.

All these  systems like Vems, Megasquirt, Emerald, KMS aso. are way overkill for our little engines (my opinion)

Thats why I started about 4 years ago develloping my own programmable electronic ignition system called 1-2-Spark.. which I made especially for the 2cv
Some of you guys already know it and at this time there are about 40 cars (still increasing) driving on it all over Europe and beyond..

I'm making a sort of plug and play sets for the 2cv, because I think this is the only solution which works for most 2cv drivers...

You can adjust all parameters by laptop and yes you are right, all engines are slightly diffrent, thats why I give a base map on which every 2cv/Visa will run better then on points, but if you
really want the last hp out of your engine you need to tune it..

About a year ago I called my ignition to be ready, my electronic ignition can do the same or more (multispark) then the averidge programmable ecu will do..

Now this year I have started to devellop my own programmable injection system as well which is called 1-2-Squirt and I'm driving it for about 2 months now..

It will need still a year to make it perfect but it runs very well already..

Now I'm not writing this to advertise my ignition or injection  (however.....) but if I can somehow help or give advise please let me know....

at last I want to highlite my topics at the international 2cv forum about my ignition and injection:

injection:
http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5509

ignition:
http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3003
(start at the last pages there are about 80 pages of my ignition)

and my turbo 2cv running on Megasquirt efi:
http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1100&hilit=turbo+intercooler

Please feel free to read about converting a 2cv  to a programmable electronic ignition and injection (you need to register first but I think it is worth it....

At last I can say, it will bring you more horsepower and you don't need a rolling road to make it run about 2 hours on a racetrack and you will have a competitive car already....
and my opinion is electronic ignition with/and injection is more reliable then  your Webers and Luminition...

Geo.

Trevor Williams

Matt
Head. Nail. Well and truly hit!!
Multi class racing is NOT the way to go....
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Derek Coghill

If it's just about racing then why not just go back to Solexes instead of opening a whole new can of worms (which cost money)?

RLambert

Moving back to Solex would cost me money, at least £500 for a couple of ECAS carbs......  ???

Derek Coghill

Nah, you're bound to have a couple lurking around somewhere in a box of stuff!

ptaylor24hours

As lovely as Fuel injection sounds, we need to keep a level playing field and keep costs down. Having spent loads on jets this year, its not fair to go and change the rules again. The same thing happened in the early 90s, finally tracked down a decent 2CV4 gearbox to try and get nearer the front. Paid a furtune for it, only to use it once before they were band. Again in the early 2000s spent ages finding a quick solex only for the Webers to come in.
Can't we keep the rules the same for a few years, it only suits teams with big budgets and time to keep changing the rules!
>:(