Main Menu

Side windows CAD files

Started by Caryl Wills, April 16, 2015, 13:10:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Caryl Wills

I've been developing the CAD files for the front door, rear door and nearside and offside rear quarter lights. I did these designs for the Crisis Racing cars and the first set were fitted to Kris' car (no. 5). They are designed to be fitted on 10mm spacers to give a flush look. They will not fit inside the standard rubbers.

I am in the process of doing the design for the drivers door windows to fit in the standard opening frames and will post them when I'm done.

Please note that these have been test fitted to 4 different body shells and door sets, so they should fit universally, but I can't guarantee it.  Also note that the nearside and offside rear quarter lights are different shapes, but that difference is consistent across the 4 body shells I've test fitted them in.

They come free, but without warranty. Any decent polycarbonate sheet supplier with a CNC router (polycarbonate cannot be cut with a laser) can use the attached files to cut the windows out of 4mm thick polycarbonate.

I have a design for a front drivers window with a port hole for a standard MSA compliant opening vent that can be purchased from here: http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/polycarbonate-pop-out-vent.html. It's a rubbish photo on their web site, but quite a nice product. I'll post the CAD file for this window on another post (only 4 attachments are allowed per post).

Caryl Wills

Some people have been asking where to get these windows cut and where to get the supplies for fitting.

FR Warren in Bristol 01173 041 740 is a company that have done good CNC routing work for me in the past. Remember that the windows need to be made from Polycarbonate and it should be UV protected both sides. They may be able to use a scratch resistant Polycarbonate, but it'll be a lot more expensive.

The sponge strip that we used to mount Kris' windows on is called 'Exp Neo/EP DA320K Strip 10mm x 10mm' it comes in 10mtr coils from Delta Rubber Ltd on 01425 278 011.

The adhesive we used comes in a kit with black edge primer, activator, adhesive and felt applicators (for the primer & activator) from http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/polycarbonate-black-border-bonding-diy-kit.html. The kit comes with 2 tubes of adhesive, but we needed to buy another tube, which they sell here: http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/tube-of-bond-310ml.html. 3 tubes of adhesive in total was required to fit a rear windscreen, 2 rear quarter lights 2 rear windows and 2 front windows. If you were not going to fit the rear windscreen and use a standard opening drivers window (The CAD files are in a post called 'Side windows CAD files (part 2)'), then you probably won't need the extra tube of adhesive. One thing to note about the adhesive is that it is very thick and is a devil to use in cold conditions. Make sure everything is warm and toasty, including the adhesive.