Main Menu

HID or LED headlights?

Started by Chris Yates, June 16, 2015, 10:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Yates

Just referring to headlights here, not spotlights.

Most people have run HID headlights the last couple of years - has anyone run LEDs?

I'm struggling to get a satisfactory result from some HIDs I've bought. I'm using the Valeo H4 lenses. Was wondering if the new generation of LED bulbs are good enough now?

The high/low H4 bulbs that have a moving deflector are utter crap. We had them on Stinky last year and they either shook around too much or didn't strike correctly. The alternatives seem to be:

1) HIDs with a halogen bulb for either high/dipped beam (the halogen being the small 'wedge' type, pretty useless really)
2) Single filament HIDs and just adjust pattern/aim to suit and live with it.
3) LEDs

The LEDs now seem to be shown as approx 3800 lumens each, or 60W. That seems to be as powerful as the usual HID offerings as far as I can tell. They come with extenal ballasts and heatsinks, so they're obviously pretty powerful. There's also some real junk out there on ebay so beware!

So anyone tried them?

nick nice toes

Cree..... that is the way forward.

Chris Yates

Yes Nick - the 3,800 lumens ones are CREE, but then again everything on eBay these days says CREE, even the crappy 5w sidelight bulbs :D

Spill those beans! Have you got some / done any comparisons with HIDs?

Chris Yates

Louis

If you use LED bulbs with out the correct reflector and lens set up you'll basically make a flower pattern on the road and illuminate the lens.

I tried last year with some OEM main beam units, some of the brightest there are, in a standard  bowl, results were shite. Maybe this year I'll put the proper reflector and lens in, making some clear head lamp covers. Just have to get hold of the parts..

Derek Coghill

I wonder if....

5.10     Electrics:
The standard 2CV electrical system shall be retained. It is permissible to modify or replace the wiring loom. The fitting of additional instrumentation and switches is also permitted.

...means that the headlights must be able to dip? I've seen it checked for, but there are no specifics in the regs or the 24hr section.

I'm looking into LEDs at the moment, but they'll probably end up as spotlights.

Whilst I'm on the subject, roof-mounted marker lights; I'm fairly sure that these shouldn't shine a beam, or they'd be classed as spotlights, of which you're only allowed 2.

Chris Yates

This is worth pointing out too:

6.4.2.1 ADDITIONAL DRIVING LAMPS
A maximum of two additional driving lamps are allowed per car and they may only be fixed to the
existing lamp bar or the bodywork below the light bar.

So, no lights attached to the roof!

Paul

Quote from: Derek Coghill on June 17, 2015, 22:14:30

Whilst I'm on the subject, roof-mounted marker lights; I'm fairly sure that these shouldn't shine a beam, or they'd be classed as spotlights, of which you're only allowed 2.

By the laws of physics don't all lights shine a beam?

Derek Coghill

Yes and no; all lights shine and different things are done thereafter. A string of low-output blue LEDs doesn't project a beam, yet you can see them.

Alec Graham

I had this out with the CoC a couple of years ago at snett.
the outcome was:
there is no reg covering what id lights can and can't be. therefore they can be anything and anywhere. So under the current regs you could put  a set of footy floodlamps on the roof and that would be fine. so long as its not the wrong colour.
still 2 weeks to drop in a proposal for 2016 though..

Chris Yates

Quote from: Louis on June 16, 2015, 22:34:46
If you use LED bulbs with out the correct reflector and lens set up you'll basically make a flower pattern on the road and illuminate the lens.

I tried last year with some OEM main beam units, some of the brightest there are, in a standard  bowl, results were shite. Maybe this year I'll put the proper reflector and lens in, making some clear head lamp covers. Just have to get hold of the parts..

On a brighter note ... I can happily now contradict Louis ;) I just tried some of the latest Cree LED units, and the beam pattern is superb! I actually got the flower pattern more with the HIDs than with the LEDs.  The LED units have a wider 'band' of focussed light which you can dip down to avoid dazzling the car in front. I'm using the Valeo H4 light units.

I got these in the end: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161718590591?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They have 3 LEDs per bulb, in the same places as the halogens would be emitting light from. All the LEDs face upwards, and so the beam pattern dips down when it reflects off the top of the reflector.

Draw: 2.9amps with 2 of the LEDs lit, and 1.8 amps with the 'high beam' lit up. No warmup time, and the light is white, rather than the pale blue of the HIDs. The glass of the headlight barely gets warm after a few minutes, unlike the HIDs.

Gotta say it, they're superior to HIDs in pretty much every way!

Louis

Sounds ideal! I'll suggest those rather than developing reflectors in future then!!