Main Menu

24hr feedback requested

Started by Chris Yates, August 26, 2015, 22:02:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Lien93

We could not be further away from the original proposal that we were sold regarding switching to Anglesey in the first place. It has gone from bad to worse. it's not a bank holiday weekend, it's not cheaper, the facilities are much worse, it's a great deal further for the Belgians to get to, and now the race timing is a joke! Without being completely negative, I do like the track (but it does cost a lot more in tyres) and I think the viewing is much better.

Steve Panas

;DYou won't need to do the 24 as the championship should be won before!!!!!!!!!!

Simon Crook

Quote from: Lien93 on March 23, 2016, 17:23:11
We could not be further away from the original proposal that we were sold regarding switching to Anglesey in the first place. It has gone from bad to worse. it's not a bank holiday weekend, it's not cheaper, the facilities are much worse, it's a great deal further for the Belgians to get to, and now the race timing is a joke! Without being completely negative, I do like the track (but it does cost a lot more in tyres) and I think the viewing is much better.
that is a very valid point Lien, I had not given the additional travel that our Belgium racers now have to make, would be interesting to find out their thoughts on Anglesey - Although I probably won't be around, I have to say that I do think the start and finish times will do us any favours, I understand why its been done. 
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Nick Roads

Reading this thread then I can add a couple of points. I only helped this year in liaising with Euros and minis and not privy to all the options and considerations but my take on it all is:

Snetterton wanted a lot more money 2 years ago (20% + increase on 2013) which was one of the reasons for the switch. They are still more expensive I believe and have made no effort to get us back to my knowledge since the move. There are a couple of other series doing endurance racing at Snetterton that I can see but their entry fees for 6 -9 hours similar to ours for 24 Hours.

I do not like the new timings for the 24 Hour race from a personal point of view but August for weekend trackdays is good business for the circuit and there was little appetite I believe to take the risk of paying an extra £ 10,000 to have the circuit all weekend if it did not actually get greater numbers to the event. 

The Belgians much prefer Anglesey to Snetterton which I was surprised to hear after 2014 and repeated last year. Better to drive and better for the pit crews was the feedback. They will like the new timings I would have thought as well but not told them yet as decision was made without asking them. The minis prefer the new timings they tell me and also prefer Anglesey for endurance racing - they do a lot more races weekends in a year.

Alec Graham

The 24 hour race isn't at my local or favourite circuit. I don't like the timings. I don't like the race being multi class.
These are my opinions. I don't think they warrant much sway and I don't expect them to.

What does warrant sway are a few facts.

Last year the club attracted 20 uk spec cars to the grid. The season opener this year at Oulton park attracted 17cars to the grid.
When the club has so few attendees , how can you expect it to be able to have choice. The club is effectively struggling for survival and we frankly should feel very fortunate that we still have a 24 hour race at all.
motor racing is very popular and 24 hour endurance racing is more popular than it used to be. Circuit costs for 24 hour events will therefore only go one way.
Last year a few of us did a bit of digging around and found 80 uk spec cars in more or less raceworthy condition. We have no future if we lock them away and wait until the venue and the start time are most convenient.
Our only way forward here is to support the club, attend the meetings and ensure the club is financially healthy. Only then can the club have choice.
Perhaps a way forward with a well supported race would be a time when the board might be able to offer a choice of venues and weekends(with costs) at the agm. Im sure this would be a happier board than a board trying constantly to find a way for the club to survive.

wilbot

As a new boy a lot of the replies to the feedback are a bit worrying. I worked hard to produce a car that was up to scratch and didn't need towing back during it,s and my initial runs. I to noticed the thin grid at Oulton and the lack of new cars. The thinness being added to by MSV / BARC not being on top of organising the paddock so that the various marques are grouped together - a small thing I know but it's pretty obvious that when there is a test day before a meeting a lot are going to stay over and set up for the weekend a parking marshal would help ? you pay top dollar for testing days & racing.
Getting back to the point members are thinning no doubt due to costs or moving up to faster classes after years of GB spec 2CV's.No harm in that in fact more potential for expanding the club handled properly  I say this as a total beginner in 2CV's. The point is to make the club more attractive to beginners and long terms racers alike. I certainly intend to compete in the 24 hour.
Perhaps encouraging some of the drivers of the "80" cars to come out and play or put them on the market to encourage newcomers might help, A campaign for beginners needs to start soon it's a years job to sort out your finances get a used car revamp and cross the hurdles to start, ARDS test and so on.
I say all this with no prejudice only the hope to see the club grow stronger.
Lastly I much appreciate the help and encouragement I have had so far so don't want to stain that by writing life as I see it             

Martin Harrold

Maisie:

That's a very good point about the garage pedestrian doors. You may recall that last year we put notices on every door, inviting spectators to walk in. We also hired little barriers to encourage teams to leave a viewing area clear inside the door. Those were a mixed success.

Frankly, it's a lot to do with the wind and the rain.

With the enforced 9am start, the networking/social side of the 24 Hour will not be what it was. We are stuck with it for this year, so if anyone has any practical and positive ideas for improving the social / spectator experience, please post them here and all will be considered.

To generate enough extra revenue to rent the circuit for a third day, I believe we would need either 40 cars on the grid, or an extra £500 from every car with 28 cars on the grid. Neither are very workable options. Or we find some people who want to pay lots to share the circuit with us during the parts of the three days that we don't need.  Anyone any ideas on that? Harley-Davidson owners club - perhaps?

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Trevor Williams

The cost of circuit hire is only going one way.... upwards!
If the club wants the circuit to themselves, it will cost more as there is no other series / championship to share the costs.
I would be very surprised if the organising club would be interested in turning the circuit over to a another entity to run a track day on the Saturday to allow the race to start later. I would also be surprised if the marshals would want to hang about for the day whilst this happened. I, for one, would not want to be hanging around if I was one of the Clerks
Previously, at Snetterton, other races championships were on the bill. Why is this not the case at Anglesey?
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Nick Roads

wilbot - don't panic on numbers they vary year to year
In 2010 there were only 17 cars entered at Oulton, in 2009 it was 18 cars etc.

trevor - Anglesey has always been a difficult circuit for sprint races apparently due to distance etc. BARC could not find other series willing to pay anything close to the £ 10,000 for the extra day. What seems to have changed is that the track day companies increasingly like weekends and this was a reason given for the increase in prices or the demand to start early on Saturday so they could rent out on Sunday. Snetterton, apparently,  wanted more than £ 10,000 more than AC via BARC and also would be split over 3 days so no advantage there. 

Suzanne P

I don't understand why people are so afraid of Anglesey. The A55 is an excellent road, Anglesey has modern shops (24 Hour Tesco's nearby and other supermarkets are available), restaurants, communications, a dual carriageway and plenty of places if you wanted to make a holiday of it.  The circuit is aware of the WIFI problem and are trying to rectify it.

No we can't help the weather but Snetterton had problems too - red flags in the night thanks to fog, things floating off down the pitlane and lakes forming in the middle of the camping area.

What can the Club do to increase spectators? I'm currently surveying my pals on Facebook to try and find out the wider issues concerning spectators at motorsport events.