Main Menu

Towing Eyes

Started by Simon Crook, March 24, 2016, 15:44:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Crook

Having read the email I received yesterday from the MSA does that now mean we have to have solid tow eyes on our race cars for the next race at Croft?
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Chris Yates

Nope. If you read it again you'll see it's a due for implementation next January, and most of it is a suggestion. I.e. part (a) remains as is now (with a bit inserted about the 'tow' sticker), and part (b) is "strongly recommended", not mandatory

wilbot

The blue book uses the word "substantial" fixed to the main structure with a 60mm id loop + the clear identification for marshal's identification.
BARC / 2CV rules go on at some length about 6mm wire loops doe's that mean solid steel loops are not allowed ?
I have webbing loops x 4 - 2 front 2 back as supplied by Demon Tweeks, Merlin etc  fixed with 12mm bolts what should I do chuck them away ??
Mine field

Chris Yates

I have a couple of balls but neither of them are crystal. However, given that the MSA blue book now specifically mentions "steel wire rope" I would suggest that's the way the regs are going to go in the future.

BUT... Before everyone runs around losing their heads, please note that at the moment AND for 2017, the bit about the wire rope is a suggestion, or a recommendation, and at this stage it is not mandatory that everyone throw away your current tow hoop(s)! I strongly doubt that our own regs would override this.

Also, the suggested wording in the blue book has changed since it was put in, so there's scope for it to be changing again before it's made mandatory, so I would suggest everyone cool their heels a little before investing in reels of wire rope :)

Louis

As Chris said, it's for implementation in 2017, and it's still only recommended.

Simon Crook

Note to self "read it all"  ;D
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Martin Harrold

I think they want two towing points, steel or fabric, on back and front. That way, marshals can tow the car out straight, rather than as often happens with one, at an angle. This would obviously be quicker and probably safer.
I suspect that upon further review, MSA may re-allow fabric straps. The wire ones are technically better but much harder to tuck neatly around the front skirt.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982