Main Menu

2017 24hrs in announcements

Started by Sean, November 04, 2016, 20:15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Snetterton?   SNETTERTON!

Whats that all about then ?

Chris Yates

It's a circuit in Norfolk I believe. We used to go there :)

Sean

im painfully aware of where it is drive down to 30 miles from London and turn left

seriously though, Why?

Chris Yates

The club sent out a survey to people who owned cars and people who were interested in driving them. One of the major trends from that survey is that people don't like going to Anglesey. Perhaps it's the wind, or the tight nature of the track, or something else. Either way, they wanted to go to another circuit. Snett is about the only other practical alternative.

Then there's the financial aspect. If we go to Snetterton, we can sell some track time to various championships who want to race there on the Saturday. They get basically a whole day's meeting, which the BARC will run. This allows us to claim back some money on the circuit hire, making it cheaper for everyone who enters the 24hr race.

That series of other championships also means that we can start the race later in the day - this was another of the problems reported through the survey - most people didn't like the 9am start - except the Belgians.

Finally, there were a few teams who just won't come to Anglesey, but WILL come out if we go to Snett. We need more 2CVs on the grid.

So, those are just some of the reasons we're going to be doing the 24hr at Snetterton in 2017.

Nick Roads

Great to have some early dates to allow teams to start planning whatever the circuit. Hopefully the survey results will be published before the AGM as would be interesting to see them.

Chris - is 24 Hour proposed to be on 200 or 300 circuit at Snetterton?

coxm

I'm trying to work out an effective way of summarising the survey results, now all the AGM notices etc have gone out:  there are 99 pages of results, some of which overlap.  I'm going to work on it over the weekend; and if all else fails, I'll publish a brief summary in bullet point format.

Chris Yates

I don't know for sure, but I doubt we'll be on the 300 circuit as marshalling numbers will not be sufficient for that

Sean

Quote from: Chris Yates on November 04, 2016, 21:51:06

Finally, there were a few teams who just won't come to Anglesey, but WILL come out if we go to Snett. We need more 2CVs on the grid.

So, those are just some of the reasons we're going to be doing the 24hr at Snetterton in 2017.

well if i stamp my feet and say were not going to Snett would you go back to Anglesey?

coxm

Sean,

I'm afraid not.  The contract is done.  Have a look at the survey summary in the post in General Discussions.  It was convincingly in favour of Snetterton.  That wasn't the only determining factor either, though.

Anglesey have promised quite a bit each year and have not really delivered on their promises.  We should have had shiny mew lavatory / shower blocks; fuel availabile on time; working wi-fi for everyone and so on and so on.  Its difficult to form a sensible relationship with a circuit when you are let down year after year.

Snet is also convincingly better value by the time you have taken into account how much easier it is to have other series run races as well.  BARC take care of that for us, and we've just not been able to attract other races to Anglesey with us.  That leaves us with a track with more spaces, better facilities that's also nearer for more than Anglesey is.  That willl hopefully allow a lower entry fee for us; coupled with the fact that most teams report using 12 tyres at Anglesey; whereas 6 is the norm at Snet.  I'm sure we'll all have a view on the cost of 6 buffed, fitted tyres, but its somewhere between £300-500 depending on how far you are from where your tyres get buffed.  Again, have a look at the survey - cost is the single biggest factor which we can influence, which is stopping people racing.  Snet should mean a materially lower cost for most people.  There's also the option of the 300 circuit (if we can solve the marshalling problem) if we are successful at getting entries up - and I know that Anglesey has the "loop", but a) its dull;  b) would probably prove a bit of an engine killer for 602s; and c) means you lose the corkscrew

Then the weather is, on average better at Snet.  It doesn't ALWAYS blow a gale; and although we've had rain of biblical proportions, we've not really had both.  We've even had completely sunny weekends there too.

Derek Coghill

Population density I'm afraid, Sean.

Nigel Hollis

I definitely remember being told that we left Snetterton because of a large hike up in the cost of hiring the circuit and we would never be able to return because this had become increasingly prohibitive. This now seems not to be the case with ' deals done '  and mention of  ' 3 years ' ?  & lower costs. Presumably there always was the option of other series running over the weekend.
Whilst not averse to returning to Norfolk, I am puzzled by what has changed so dramatically and can only draw the following conclusions :-
   a) Jonathan Palmer is struggling
   b) The entry fee WILL be increased 
   c) 2CV Entries are dramatically up         
   d) C1's have mated             

Maisie

Quote from: Nigel Hollis on November 09, 2016, 12:55:34
I definitely remember being told that we left Snetterton because of a large hike up in the cost of hiring the circuit and we would never be able to return because this had become increasingly prohibitive. This now seems not to be the case with ' deals done '  and mention of  ' 3 years ' ?  & lower costs. Presumably there always was the option of other series running over the weekend.
Whilst not averse to returning to Norfolk, I am puzzled by what has changed so dramatically and can only draw the following conclusions :-
   a) Jonathan Palmer is struggling
   b) The entry fee WILL be increased 
   c) 2CV Entries are dramatically up         
   d) C1's have mated             

Anglesey was initially cheaper than Snetterton could offer to tempt us away, however their prices haven't stayed low and this, coupled with the fact that tempting other series to Anglesey to share costs didn't work so well whereas Snetterton is more attractive makes the cost of Snetterton viable, ESPECIALLY if people make an effort to support the race and get their cars out!
Blueberry Tart ;)