Main Menu

Spa 24 Hour 2016 - October 15-16

Started by Nick Roads, June 06, 2016, 21:47:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Roads

The 24 Hour at Spa Francochamps is 15-16 October. Race Start expected to be around 4pm on Saturday.

UK 2CV's can run as UK hybrid or as Classic 2CV race specification or as Economy class. Drivers will need National A licences and have to pay day membership for 2CVRT which is 25 Euros. There is normally 1 hour of testing included on the Friday and then teams have to pay for extra testing time on the Friday.

For those who have entered the UK 24 Hour race the entry fee should be around £ 1600. The classic mini's will be racing with the other UK cars in their 1275cc specification as last year which is similar in performance to UK hybrid. I would expect to have final prices and details mid August.

If anyone wants more information then email me [email protected].

Nick Roads

The final details still to be confirmed by 2CVRT in Belgium but key points are:

If teams pay £ 500 deposit by September 1 then, assuming the pound does not collapse, the total fee will be just under £ 1600.
If there are more than 10 entries, including the mini 1275, there will be an approx £ 50 reduction on final payment which is due by October 1 for those who pay by Sept 1.
10 teams, including the minis, have said they are going and a couple of others considering it which I know about.

5 drivers maximum. *added - Drivers must have Race National A licences NOT National B
25 euros per driver for membership of RACB (belgian racing club) which can be made on the final payment in £ once we know the exchange rate or in cash at Spa
There is a mandatory deposit of 500 Euros payable to the circuit per car in cash on arrival - covers items like not damaging the garages. I have not known anyone not get this back.
HANS devise is not required..
Its 2 cars per garage in the old F1 pits - very cramped and let me know about any sharing requirements etc

The race is due to start at 1200 not 1600. Means teams could make ferries back on Sunday. Its around 4 hours from Calais.

Qualifying will be on the Saturday so no night qualifying and it is not a requirement, nor indeed possible on 4 minute laps, for all drivers to do qualifying
There should be testing on Friday for at least 1 hour as part of the entry fee and extra time can be bought closer to the event or on the day on the Friday. This can be expensive - last year it cost 600 euros to test all day. This reflects the general test day costs for the circuit are very high and 2CVRT have similar battles to the UK Club with trying to keep costs down eg typical test day: http://spa-francorchamps.be/en/test-days

I am trying to find out about mezzanines which are above the garages and can easily accommodate 40 people and have a kitchen, tables, timing screens are cosy and warm etc. In previous years teams have shared them but are not cheap - over 1600 Euros for the weekend split between the teams that share. If interested in sharing let me know

To make the first payment, entry form and for any other questions more details please email me

Nick Roads

6 September Update:

Might have got the team numbers wrong but all teams below paid and displayed deposit - thanks. £ 1600 + drivers + testing as in other posts for any further entries. Awaiting final details and testing prices etc

UK 2CV (602cc) :

MIM Racing 1 - Car 89
MIM Racing 2 - Car 32
Jelly Snake Racing - Car 23
Roise Racing - Car 222

UK 2CV (BMW 1100 Hybrid):

Crisis Too - Car 36
Crisis Fore - Car 52
Tete Rouge - Car 40
Gadget Racing - Car 56

UK Mini (1275 cc)

Team Toyshed - Car 73
Slarky Malarky - Car 28
Maxted Racing - Car 44 or 144
There is another Mini team expected to enter

The Belgians were interested in the C1's and are proposing to allow them to enter in the 2016 race in their own class. It needs approval from their National organisation which will be known in a few days. The 2 Rent Boys C1's expected to go if so and there have been enquiries for 2 Dutch cars and 1 based in Germany to race under the UK C1 regulations.

Chris Yates

Nick, do you know what the situation is with transponders? I.e. can we use UK transponders or will we have to hire one from them?

Nick Roads

Hi Chris

They seem to vary each year as to transponders - 2014 we were ok with UK ones, last year we had to rent them. They supply portable battery powered units with a cradle that goes on the roll cage inside the car - they rent them for around 25 euros. I will try and find out if we are ok with ours.

Created a bulletin for the entered team managers earlier this week as attached, of interest for anyone toying with a later entry or thinking of next year. Includes details on testing on Friday.

Since then another mini entered - Misfits who have been at Anglesey for the last few years. Race numbers changing for a few teams since then Jelly Snake now 231.

So should be 16 + UK teams in various classes.

Trevor Williams

Nick
Couple of things in your briefing note need clarifying.

Roll Cage Protection / foam. Last year Tete Rouge "just" got away with the foam not being the FIA approved stuff. I would advise all to make sure they have some FIA roll cage foam just in case

Snell 2005 Helmets. Both my helmets are Snell 2005 with the FIA HANS device sticker (HANS posts fixed by the manufacturer). I had no problem with them being scrutineered last year. The problems I saw were in relation to British Standards helmets, which became unapproved on 1st January 2015. Snell 2005 + FIA Hans has no "removal" date in the latest FIA technical list, and Snell 2005 without hans goes out of date in 2018 according to the FIA.

Cheers
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Trevor Williams

Nick
Just read the Tech Regs (5.6) for the 2CVRT and they clearly allow Snell 2005 (until 31/12/2018), Snell SAH 2010 and Snell 2010 along with FIA 8860-2004 and FIA 8860-2010. Could get interesting if anyone has a Snell 2015 or FIA 8859-2015 helmet!!
Cheers
Trevor

Nick Roads

Having had to buy 2 helmets at Spa it can be expensive having the wrong one.

5 years ago was in the Burton and told to get closed face helmet by the team when I got their on Friday night and discovered car was open top! I googled the pros and cons overnight of using open face helmet and when I read that the last British driver to die at Spa had been killed by a bird hitting him in the face decided discretion was the better part of valour.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Stacey
The Burton team kindly took me to the other side of Spa on Saturday morning to save 400 euros on the price from the man in the van at the circuit.

2 years later both helmets were 'out of date' at scrutinering for first race in my 2CV. They were both ok for testing. We had an hour until qualifying so off to the man in the van to pay 500 euros.. 

Trevor Williams

That man in the van at the circuit makes a fortune every year!!

Simon Crook

Hoping to get along to spectate this year, can you (I) park up a small motorhome in the pits or do I have to go with those public people!
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Chris Yates

Likewise - I'm bringing a caravan, which I'd like to park relatively close to the pits (down the bottom of the hill I guess) - is that ok?

nick nice toes

This is 1 of the reasons why having the F1 pits would make more sense in my opinion.
There are a lot of vehicles going and there just isn't the space behind the old pits to accommodate everybod .

coxm

I've rented a whole house in Coo from a mate, which is about 3km from Francorchamps.  I may have some spaces available - if anyone is interested, let me know:  it will work out at about €30 a night sharing a room, including breakfast.

samfieldhouse

You can park in the pit area and camp up, you need a team pass to get in though I think.
The field is epic, the atmosphere is totally unbeatable and there's hard standing for campers at the bottom, opposite the police station.

Quote from: Simon Crook on September 26, 2016, 17:14:45
Hoping to get along to spectate this year, can you (I) park up a small motorhome in the pits or do I have to go with those public people!

samfieldhouse

Useful info, thank you. I've just applied for a press pass so will keep my lens focused for UK cars  :)

UK 2CV (602cc) :

MIM Racing 1 - Car 89
MIM Racing 2 - Car 32
Jelly Snake Racing - Car 23
Roise Racing - Car 222

UK 2CV (BMW 1100 Hybrid):

Crisis Too - Car 36
Crisis Fore - Car 52
Tete Rouge - Car 40
Gadget Racing - Car 56

UK Mini (1275 cc)

Team Toyshed - Car 73