Main Menu

Newsletter

Started by Simon Crook, July 01, 2016, 18:06:03

Previous topic - Next topic

barney rubble

"fiefdom" is the word that springs to my mind!!!

wilbot

I don't think I have ever claimed mine cost £12000 to build but if I charged myself for the hours it took it would probably cost that and more.
Good lord that's 4 C1's in their enthusiasts speak !!!

Lien93

Sprint races seem to be pretty well attended. The big problem is the 24hr and Phil seemed pretty confident of arranging a 3 year deal to get it back to Snetterton. (on the bank holiday weekend, I hope) So that should be the problem solved.
We have got a few new and great looking cars on our grid, along with new drivers. We could always do with a few more, but on the whole I don't see the need to panic.
As the dinner dance is going to be early in the New Year (I think), does the board have a date and location in mind for the AGM? (it needs to be this year)

Scooterman

If you thrash a C1 around a track and don't enjoy yourself, you are absolutely entitled to be less than complimentary.

2cvs are very unique and have bags of character, but they are not as cheap to buy, run or buy parts for as they used to be. I don't want to see the series end, having another class won't steal the thunder of 2cvs. They will always be the stars of the show and therefore so will the drivers.

Did introducing Minis cause that much of a problem? I was there when the proposal was put forward, it wasn't entirely well received, but (apart from blinding us with their lights) they've been great. It hasn't detracted from the 2cvs being the stars of the show.

Are we a cheap and cheerful racing series where the average man in the street can have a go? Is the club specifically for 2cv experts and enthusiasts affiliated with garages?  At least the proposal gives both types of person a chance to race and be competitive.

nick nice toes

So are you suggesting we race the 2cv and c1 in the same race ???

Scooterman

Why not?

Yes the the standard car has 68bhp, but it weighs a fair bit more and hasn't been developed on track for the last 27 years.

Back in 2001 the BTCC had production and touring classes. The production class was there to help bolster the grid. To keep the races close the tourers had to complete one more lap than the production cars. Another option would be 2cvs starting and C1's starting 1 minute, 30 seconds (or whatever the performance differential is) later. Two seperate classes, to different results. Think of it as 3cvs joining in.

gadget

I propose Abfitness as the chairman of the Citroen C1 Racing Club
G

Andrew Bull

If the C1 was slower than the 2CV then I could understand. One of the gripes about the other classes running in our race is that there will never be an overall victory for a Uk championship spec 2CV.

My heart lies with the mighty dueche. I still own my first car which was a purple painted 2cv6 rebuilt by myself at the age of 16. I have driven C1 and  :-\pug106. (Would we allow aygo and pug???). And yes I do think they are the millenniums answer to the 2CV.  Thrashed mercilessly (loan car from Perrys) it gave that same feeling of fun at low speed and relatively safely. It is the modern day 2CV cousin.

Any change as Adam says is not always bad but maybe we have to look back in time to our own past before going forward.  What elements have we allowed over the years that have made the racing expensive. What modifications could we reverse to bring costs back under control. Standard shocks? Standard flywheel, I've just save £1000 in those two items. It's not always about going faster. Our racing at brands hatch was the closest race of the day. We need to keep that In mind.  And make sure that the experiments we do as a club don't detract from the main focus of this club. The C1 must be kept slower than a 2CV. A previous post mentioned BTTC bring in a second class to support them. Exactly. The primary attraction and fastest things were the full Touring cars not the support class.  We have it the wrong way round.

The are plenty of other clubs and championships that could join us if that were the case. Saxo juniors, stock hatch, max5s.  These things are easy to slow down. Restricted and standard tyres or narrower tyres etc.

I don't have the answers and I have every confidence the board and the members will choose the right direction to maintain 2cv racing. Be this by joining others or allowing others to join us or by reducing build costs /running costs and entry fees with clever negotiations with track owners and BARC.

Keep at it and we will find a solution.
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Alec Graham

2cv 24 hour race.
Remember when that was what it was about? No Invited classes?
The truth of the matter is that the number of UK 2cv teams is not really warranting the race. Therefore the need for more entries.
I wonder what the problems are?
Perhaps its Anglesey, perhaps its not the right venue, I'm not sure we have given it enough of a chance, the year we had with the joint event with the 2cv gb club was pretty spectacular. It brought added value, it brought out some old faces. ( I like an old face me..)
Would we get more entries if we reverted back to Snetterton.... Who knows? The showers are better.. surely this race doesn't revolve around the quality of the showers. Is multi class fields the answer to longevity. Possibly? its possible that the multi class field puts off a few potential 2cv teams  too.
I think there are probably a few golden rules to abide by with the 24 hour race such as holding it over a bank holiday weekend, preferably with a mid afternoon start time. This year the timetable is not appealing. I know there were reasons for it and im not blaming anybody for it. But it isn't helpful.
The club 'rules' state that the object of the club is 'the promotion of circuit racing Citroen 2cv6 motor cars'.
The problem here is that the club also needs to make it financially work. And it is apparently easier to get mini's and C1's than 2cvs. However, the club does have a legacy of bringing in changes that are ill thought out and not properly researched. (see Weber for details) So I hope that If we do have to share with C1's then it is done on a trial basis only.
To perhaps try to turn some negatives here into positives, perhaps there are a few things the 'club' ought to review to encourage more 2cv's onto the circuit, for instance the pricing of the entry could be more heavily stacked in favour of teams entering 2cv's?.
I am now back in possession of the 2cv race car database. It contains about 75 cars.
Although these cars seem to have been difficult to tease out of their garages and onto a circuit I've never yet heard a convincing argument as to why they aren't out. only speculation.
On the plus side it seems cars aren't disappearing. they are still out there. there have been a few changed hands recently and for relatively strong money with most changing hand quickly too it all points to a strong market. I also know of a few new cars being built too.
So seemingly the impossible task is to find out what will bring the cars back to the circuit. Lets face it their ornamental qualities are poor.
If nobody objects i'll put a questionnaire together to e mail to all car owners to see if we can do something as a club to get these cars racing again.

wilbot

A questionnaire sounds a great idea but the problem is the direction of the questions ? do you put out the first one to see what the questions should be. With poor turnout for the 24, C1 question / imposition a lot of serious questions to resolve.

Keith1981

Excuse me for stick my head out a bit here, I am only really on here because of the 24 hrs at Anglesey, I adore this event and have loved marshaling the last two. fairly certain that my opinion is quite small in the grand scheme of things makes little difference but I like the idea of adding the c1's to mix. the stars of show always are the 2cv's, and as someone that has many years ago admittedly, followed a 2cv round Oulton park at track day in my diesel lupo of time. there wasn't much in it but I could not keep up with the 2cv. plus the 2cv's in a 24 hour have added advantages could you imagine a c1 having an engine problem fixed or the engine changed in 8 minutes? I hope you don't think I am sticking my nose into something that's not really my business but I do really think the addition of c1's for the 24 hours is an interesting idea. whether anyone builds one or even if they will finish if they do build one is a question I have been wondering. anyway that's my thoughts at least. thank you.