Main Menu

Citroen C1

Started by TomzZeH, September 04, 2016, 19:21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

indigorallye

Just to be clear, I came here to seek more info on the C1's as a result of an article I read this morning.
What is now pretty obvious is that you guys aren't interested in them, but I think it's fair to say you've been pretty hostile in getting that message across.
Maybe I'll see you at Anglesey, lapping me, in either a 2CV or a C1, who knows!

PS What is a Belgian arm? One of Jean Claude Van Damme's biceps?

Chris Yates

Actually, I wouldn't say we've been hostile at all. Perhaps we've been quite firm in putting our points across, but not hostile. I've even offered to mechanic for either of you, should you enter a 2CV.

However, you want to race C1s in our 24 hour race. We don't want you to. I think that's fairly clear, and neither side looks to be changing their opinions. I'm losing patience with the repetition now.

Belgian arms are described on our main website: http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/belgian-arms/

naughtybear

Nothing to see here. You won't see me lapping you in the 24 as you will be in the pits for three hours changing an engine!!
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

indigorallye

Fair enough.  :)
I'll keep looking for other 24hr opportunities.

BertChalmers

OK Chris I think I need to clarify a few things for you.

Correct, I don't have a race licence, I haven't since 2002.  For the last 10 or so years I've been racing in the European Pro Kart Championship, club100 amongst others Series Feel free to look up 'Team Barnato'. You don't need a race licence to compete. 4 years ago I had a bad accident  at Teesside that put me into hospital. I should really have stopped then, but to be honest I'm an addict and I selfishly wanted to keep going, it wasn't until march this year that the veil slipped and I realised how selfish I was being to my family I made the choice to stop racing after this years Brit24.

As I put in early posts in this thread I want to go racing, maybe not with my arse in the seat but over the years I've realised I'm not that bad at team managing and I can prep karts and cars. There are a few drivers I know who have been intrigued by C1s, I've also have a number of companies who are happy to put there name behind me and the projects I run whether that's karting, cycling across the country, triathlons or whatever stupid midlife crisis adventure I have.

Thanks for clarifying the Belgian arms thing, and don't worry, I've took the hint we're not wanted.   ;)

p.s
Quote from: Chris Yates on October 19, 2016, 21:11:08

Anyway, I think you have made your points repeatedly and clearly. We now seem to be looking for very spurious reasons why you think we should all replace our 2CVs with shiny new C1s.

I don't think you should replace your 2CVs, if you've been reading my posts fully, you'd see I've been trying to state how letting the C1 fill a tiny bit of the grid could help you make 2CV racing cheaper for you guys. You asked why I wanted to run a C1 well that's MY opinion - I'm not trying to ram it down anyone's throat or convert anyone They are just my reasons.

indigorallye

Well, if anyone fancies a drive in a 24, in something other than a 2CV or C1 then let me know.

PushToTalk

Quote from: indigorallye on October 19, 2016, 23:01:22
Well, if anyone fancies a drive in a 24, in something other than a 2CV or C1 then let me know.

I loved my first 24hr race and will definitely do another. A good mate of mine runs cars in the Dubai 24hrs and actually won it last year. He offered me a drive, but it's way out of budget. What series/car would it be in

simon turner

Well that's at least half an hour of my life I won't be getting back reading all 7 pages.

Its the Classic 2CV Racing Club and any others by invitation only in just the 24h race. The C1 has no place racing with us and the majority of the members would support this view I believe.

If you two want to race C1's then here is not the place.

Tête Rouge Racing

indigorallye

Quote from: PushToTalk on October 20, 2016, 09:39:14
Quote from: indigorallye on October 19, 2016, 23:01:22

I loved my first 24hr race and will definitely do another. A good mate of mine runs cars in the Dubai 24hrs and actually won it last year. He offered me a drive, but it's way out of budget. What series/car would it be in

We do the Creventic events, Silverstone in April, Magny Cours and Barcelona in September.

Dale

Hi guys, new member, first post, etc...

I'm that "german guy"* who was building his C1 last week. We had a great race at Spa24 and everybody had a lot of fun. I'm mega happy with the driving experience, the running costs and the friendly nature of everybody in the pits and organisation.

I won't hide the fact I'm a bit disappointed by some of the reactions on here. I truly believe the little Citroën C1s could be really popular for Enduros, but they simply do not fit in a typical grid. We run a spec tyre that means we're slower than 'normal' race cars on straights, and bad on the corners too. I'm a regular on the VLN grid and have done a bit of Creventic and GT too, but I've never had the budget to build my own race car.... until the C1 experiment started!

At Spa we were quicker than the classic 2CVs and a bit slower than everything else (minis included!). It was great! Having the seen the hybrid 2CVs pushing the Euro cars first hand, I'd love to try one, but the C1 was just cheaper and easier to build, and easier to sell to my buddies too.

Personally I'm not interested in the sprint races, just the enduros. The reactions of the continental clubs seemed overwhelmingly positive at Spa, and I hope that we can find a way to visit the UK and join the fun at Snett or Anglesey.

Best regards and keep up the great work!

*I'm English actually, but I live here at the 'Ring

Katy Storey

Quote from: BertChalmers on October 19, 2016, 20:42:36
there's that and a safety thing on a personal note for me - its why I've stopped racing this year.... I've helped a young lady out of road going 107's after an RTA, she walked away from an accident I couldn't imagine even a caged 2CV surviving. If I'm being responsible for 4 drivers I want them to be the safest they can be.

This is interesting to me personally. I walked away from two massive crashes at Spa this year with just saw muscles. One of the C1s had a crash and it took 4 of them to open the driver door. Obviously a RTA is massively different from a racing accident because of all the safety regulations, but both the C1s and the 2CVs follow the same safety guidelines (as far as roll cages, seats, harnesses etc. go), the 2CVs have had almost 30 years of racing experience with constant improvements to safety and judging by my crashes at the weekend there is no reason as to why you should think the four drivers you are potentially responsible for would not be the safest they could be.

Marty

Just a few words today to enter into this debate.
I am one of the drivers of the #172 and last year our car was destroyed over its left side by a double blow with the 2CV Hybrid #99 which does not mastered his power.
The driver was unhurt because our 2CV has scrupulously respected the rules of construction and was not cobbled in 2 weeks! This year, Katy, our Rust'in did not run because we want to rebuild both fast and safe. I totally agree with you.

Now when I see C1 drivers happy to pay a low price to run in Spa ... Classic crews paid 100% of the price of €4430 (£4000) while C1 had their 62% discount ! And we are in a 2CV race ?...
I will rewrite here soon, but it is vital for 2CV racing to preserve their playing field. I would be very disappointed if one day a C1 "won" a 2CV race ;-)
Please, let C1 build their own championship and not lay their eggs in others' nest.

Oh, one last thing: when Dale wrote he heard only positive things, he only heard what he wanted to hear ;-) Last week-end, aggressive driving style of C1 caused accidents, some towards Classic 2CV. Read the attached document that talks about the damage caused by C1 #103 ...

BertChalmers

Quote from: Katy Storey on October 21, 2016, 14:14:09

This is interesting to me personally. I walked away from two massive crashes at Spa this year with just saw muscles. One of the C1s had a crash and it took 4 of them to open the driver door. Obviously a RTA is massively different from a racing accident because of all the safety regulations, but both the C1s and the 2CVs follow the same safety guidelines (as far as roll cages, seats, harnesses etc. go), the 2CVs have had almost 30 years of racing experience with constant improvements to safety and judging by my crashes at the weekend there is no reason as to why you should think the four drivers you are potentially responsible for would not be the safest they could be.

Thank you for getting back to me Katy and putting my mind at rest, Good to Hear first hand reports

Nick clarke

I think some people miss the point. Our club is for people who love 2cv's and want to race them, it's not not a club for people who want to race cars, there's loads of them around,  the c1's seem to have lots of fans and I don't see them having any problems setting up their own club and organising there own races  and hopefully inviting 2cv's to some and us like wise them.
     Most members I have spoken to feel the c1's are being pushed on to the club, I feel the more there pushed at us the further the members will push them away.
    As invited agreed by the member guests I feel they would of been made welcome but the way it was done has turned people against them, hopefully done the right way there can still be joint ventures in the future at the end of the day we need numbers to make 24 hour races pay

Louis

Quote from: Katy Storey on October 21, 2016, 14:14:09

It depends what you hit. If you hit padded barriers (as I did at Cadwell) it was fine but it still made a mess. I'm glad I didn't hit anything harder and I'm glad that the impact wasn't side on, I think this is highest risk in a 2cv.

As it happens I'm not sure all of the members feel like C1s are being forced upon them but given the reaction here it's very clear to see why they would not openly say so... Either way as you say Nick thy have a big following after only two races.

Do we think this thread had reached the end of its useful life (5 pages ago), can we kill it? It's making us look like a rather unfriendly bunch.