Main Menu

Voting at the AGM

Started by Pete Sparrow, September 15, 2016, 22:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Sparrow

Can someone on the board clarify the situation with regards to proxy and postal votes at the AGM. Its it allowed? yes or no?
cheers
Pete
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Katy Storey

Personally I am unsure, however we have a board meeting on Tuesday 20th September so I am sure something will be issued after this to provide clarity.

Katy Storey

Just to add: it is important anyone intending to vote must be a member of the club

Nick Roads

Formally its set out in the articles of association http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/clubdocs/articles-of-association_08.07.28.pdf found on main website.

On a quick read then proxy votes ok for member organisations but not individuals, no mention of postal votes which I suppose are a form of proxy vote anyway. So I read it as no postal or proxy votes for individuals who are full members.

Associate members do not have a vote.

Came up a few years ago and at that time it was made clear no postal or proxy votes.

Trevor Williams

Proxy votes were allowed a few years back, postal votes no.
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Trevor Williams

Interesting.....
Rules specifically disallow proxy voting at general meetings. When were these changed?

Pete Sparrow

Nick, Katy, thanks for that.
If Katy can confirm 100% with the board on Tuesday that would be great.
Katy, can you post on here so that everyone is aware.
cheers
Pete
;)
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Paul

Quote from: Trevor Williams on September 16, 2016, 09:01:06
Interesting.....
Rules specifically disallow proxy voting at general meetings. When were these changed?
After the Agm at silverstone in the garages when some people has 8 or more proxy votes .

coxm

Nick & Paul, I'm afraid that its significantly more complex than that in this case.

We operate through a company, so are governed by both company law and our own memorandum & articles of association.  When I took over as chairman, I was confused between the Club and the Company, which has ended up with having to seek quite a lot of legal advice on the way that the two are set up; and the manner of the incorporation in 2008.  For now, until this has been discussed at the board, all I can say is that not all aspects of the incorporation were completed correctly; and that the Club (as legally distinct from the Company) was not repurposed sufficiently in order to make it clear that we only operate through the company and have therefore protected ourselves individually from litigation liability.  One of the corollaries of this is that the resolutions that were "taken" since were not correctly noticed or voted on; and are therefore invalid.

Once this has been discussed and agreed at the board next Tuesday, I will write to members and explain what we need to do to rectify the situation; and what consequences that has for this year's AGM and more widely.

Best MC

naughtybear

Can you please explain that in simple terms?
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

Trevor Williams

Explanation required regarding these alleged discrepancies urgently please!!

Roy Eastwood

Hear, hear.

Quote from: Trevor Williams on September 20, 2016, 09:46:08
Explanation required regarding these alleged discrepancies urgently please!!

barney rubble

it seems to me that someone maybe try to use what they think is superior knowlodge and wealth to turn the club in to his/thier own club!!!!
putting simply Ash there trying to do what my dog does every day  "lifting your leg"

Chris Yates

Basically, it's not what everyone thinks. The chairman will post a full explanation very soon. Basically the rules won't be changing, broadly speaking, but the way they are  written out will be changing. Things like no proxy voting will be staying.

Please hold fire for a fuller explanation soon