Main Menu

Magazine article

Started by wilbot, November 16, 2016, 15:20:16

Previous topic - Next topic

wilbot

Strolling through Waitrose I spotted Evo magazine latest issue which had an article about 24 hour racing and the article is about this years Anglesey.

The preamble goes as follows :-

The diminutive Citroen C1 looks set to replace the ageing 2CV as the budget racer of choice. But first it has to prove itself, as does EVO's racing debutant Will Beaumont in the 24 hour event !!

I would buy the mag before the AGM it will probably sell quickly .................

Maisie

*GROWL*

Honestly, the original article and subsequent rehashes of the whole "The 2CV is getting too old/expensive/unreliable/difficult" has done an immense damage to 2CV racing.
The only way to counter this is for EVERYONE who can to bring out their cars on whatever budget they can scrape together and put on a great show of fabulous close racing and unmatched cameraderie as always and show the world the current message going out is utter twaddle.
Blueberry Tart ;)

Louis

V8 S and Mulsanne got glowing reviews though.

Paul

2cv racing didn't though Louis. This must be the most damaging piece of publicity we have ever had.
C1 24hr indeed.
A very awkward time for this to be published,as if feelings weren't running strong enough anyway.

Louis

It has raised aweness of the event itself, I've had near 30 people from work alone ask me about it, and not just the C1 mainly the 2cvs... "do people actually race those?" Still after nearly 30  years people who work in the automotive sector are discovering the series.

A readership of several tens of thousands will be good for the series, I'm sure.

Chris Yates

Tens of thousands who will now believe that 'ageing' 2CV racing is doomed and the diminutive Citroen C1 looks set to save the day and replace them...

Great.

Martin Harrold

Err, who's car did the EVO journo drive in the 24 Hr? If my memory serves, it was  . . . .
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Louis

Quote from: Martin Harrold on November 17, 2016, 22:59:13
Err, who's car did the EVO journo drive in the 24 Hr? If my memory serves, it was  . . . .

Caryl's.

We can find many negatives however it is now out there; let's look at the positives, unless there is a compelling reason to be overly negative about it?

Let's be really clear that this is a public forum, which people can visit and see us moaning, see us hating the C1s and maybe even be put off the club by the overwhelming negativity which we display on here. From a public image stand point any one who is seriously interested in the club and racing a 2cv will visit the forum. Read back through all of the recent controversial topics, take away your bias, what image does it really cast?

I know we are all very passionate but if we wish to complain about the image cast by a publication maybe we should think about what we publish here, where the people who are really interested are going to visit.

So; who has photos from the club barbecues? Who has stories of comraderie? Who has stories of heroics? Maybe we could focus on these instead of two fucking cars that raced once.

wilbot

Perhaps we should start by not feeding our minority views to young unsuspecting journalists who have been brought up on a diet of Top Gear and other banal bilge.

wilbot

Further to my previous rant I received a mail about my views and comment. To set the record straight I have no problem with the article or the writer in fact I respect the skill and thoughts of journalists who have to make judgments and comments for us all to see and set it down for all to see something few of us would have the ability to. However the content implies the end for 602's which is negative as far as the club is concerned and by no means helpful. As for Top Gear we all know where the switch is.

I have raced for this season and enjoyed considerable help from various members and listened to the various views on the C1.

I respect the many long time racers and supporters and in my view the club should remain in the sprint class soley for 602's and the club being the classic Citroen 2CV racing club should maintain this stance. For 24 hour races the club should retain the power to invite other classes to make up the field as THE MEMBERS wish Then if a particular invited class becomes a problem the members can control the entries. Efforts should be made to have a full grid for the 24 hour race for financial reasons ie to keep costs reasonable. Efforts to turn out as many 602's being the first call. If the event is oversubscribed the members make the call on what / who enters. 

My cards on the table as follows, I am building a BMW powered 2CV as my interest is in endurance events I can't afford to do both and enjoy the longer events more. I have not sacrificed a 602 race car for my project. I have done the arithmetic and it works out better for me. Should I be invited to race in the UK 24 hour I would be pleased to contribute but not at the expense of the 602's Invitation being the operative word. 

Nick Paton

After consulting my lawyers I have nothing to say in response to the previous post by Mr Wilbot

naughtybear

Quote from: Louis on November 17, 2016, 23:50:00
Err, who's car did the EVO journo drive in the 24 Hr? If my memory serves, it was  . . . .

So; who has photos from the club barbecues? Who has stories of comraderie? Who has stories of heroics? Maybe we could focus on these instead of two fucking cars that raced once.

I went round Paul once on the outside of paddock hill!
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

gadget

Louis

Quote from: naughtybear on November 18, 2016, 19:32:12
Quote from: Louis on November 17, 2016, 23:50:00

I went round Paul once on the outside of paddock hill!

Super ballsy... I decided not to brake once 🙈

Derek Coghill

Austin 7 racing is still fiercely competitive, and they're getting on a bit more than 2CVs. I feel that a certain Mark Twain quote is appropriate...