Main Menu

2CV UK Hybrids 2017

Started by Nick Roads, March 12, 2017, 07:24:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Roads

Update on 2CV UK Hybrid Cars and Racing for 2017

In 2015 Crisis (Nick Roads and Caryl Wills) had entered cars in 2 rounds of 2CVRT races in Europe as Guest entries under their regulations with BMW 1100 engines, restricted in power same way the Belgians restrict their BMW 850 engines. Both the cars entered in the 2015 Spa 24 Hour with BMW powered engines had ran as standard class 602 engine cars at Anglesey. The concept was proven you could swap a UK Race car between different classes. At the 2015 AGM Nick and Caryl, with others support, put forward to the Club AGM a proposal to allow UK hybrids to race under 2CV Racing Club rules, published by the Club, in Europe only. These were agreed and regulations issued.

It was clear from the 2016 AGM that there was more disquiet with the UK hybrids than in 2015. 

In February I learnt that a mistake by those submitting 2017 regulations meaning that there were no Hybrid regulations, to allow European only racing, agreed with BARC. There had been some minor revisions and changes from the 2016 regulations. I have further been told this week it is going to be 'tricky' to get it all approved given the AGM's and there was no certainty on timing. The Board Minutes for 4 March 2017 document this uncertainty 'Board to consider status of Hybrids under new articles'.

The situation was discussed last week with Paul Robertson, Colin Wilson and Wayne Cowling as we are to race our 2CV UK hybrid specification cars in Croix in May and later in the year at Spa and need to have certainty to make all our plans.

We contacted some other race series and being eligible are going to join a different UK series. This will allow us to race in Europe but will also need the hybrids to enter at least one UK round to ensure eligibility and so will do this.

Paul, Colin, Wayne and I would like to make it clear that we are doing this reluctantly as we had hoped, and still wish, to stay within the Club. We remain committed to the 2CV Racing Club and have entered variously Sprint rounds and the 24 Hour race to run standard specification cars.

Trevor Williams

Mistake? or Deliberate?

The Club can do what it did in 2015 and 2016 because those regulations were never issued by BARC (or the MSA) either

At the EGM, certain board members where looking at the hybrids as not being allowed by the Company's Articles etc.

It was pointed out to them that a 2CV with a BMW engine in instead of a 602, and registered for road use, it would still be a 2CV6 in the eyes of the DVLA

Conflicts anyone??
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!