Main Menu

24 hour format

Started by coxm, August 05, 2017, 21:02:43

Previous topic - Next topic

coxm

At the open board meeting and the AGM there was a strong wish expressed by members that a 602 should win the 24 hour event; and the concept of a 24 /24.5 hour race was discussed as the best way to achieve that.  The board has worked on that basis since then.

It has become clear that if we were to run the race in this format that we would be likely to lose our Mini Grand friends; so a poll of members was organised in order to determine members' views as to how they would like the 24hr event run in the light of this news.

With the information from this survey, the board has determined unanimously that the 24hr event should be run as a simple 24 hour race as it was last year. 

We look forward to seeing all of you there.  I'm sure we will be discussed this matter again at this year's AGM.

Derek Coghill

"win", competing with two lots of faster cars. Really? D.

Sean

Has anyone contacted the R4 club, perhaps theyd like to come and play too
The only way to ensure a 602 will win is if there are only 602s on the grid.

Glenn Oswin

What happened to having different classes with different handicaps? Therefore everyone would have a fair chance at winning the race, regardless of class, making the race a lot fairer and challenging for everyone. If we did this we could invite all sorts of different cars/classes and ensure that the event was a success financially too.

Roy Eastwood

Perfect for next year but I don't think there was sufficient time to work such out for 2017.

Communication is not us.

Quote from: Glenn Oswin on August 09, 2017, 16:46:08
What happened to having different classes with different handicaps? Therefore everyone would have a fair chance at winning the race, regardless of class, making the race a lot fairer and challenging for everyone. If we did this we could invite all sorts of different cars/classes and ensure that the event was a success financially too.

Lien93

It's a very complicated thing to work out, and I don't think it's really needed. It's not as if there are spectators who need to know who is in the lead. Everyone who is at the circuit knows where their car is in their race. The 'problem' has only been in the reporting of the race in the press afterwards. I have spoken to both of the reporters and explained that the articles should focus on the 'Finale of the UK Championship', they can mention further into the item that 'the guest classes blah blah....'

Martin Harrold

Lien - the problem is that many of the Autosport reporters are cub reporters and follow the house style guide, which is to report on the winner of the race. The other 'classes' come second etc. By all means talk to them and see what you can do, but don't expect too much. At the first Anglesey race, they did not send a reporter, and asked if the Club would file the report. Two of us did that and we described a win by a 602. But in the published report, it had been re-written as a win for a Euro. I'm pretty sure that there is a simple solution to the issue out there, but so far, no-one has been able to stumble on it. Perhaps our friend Peter Scherer might be able to think of a solution.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982