Main Menu

Brands write up.

Started by Andrew Bull, August 08, 2017, 14:44:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Bull

Autosport appear to have missed / or not been informed that there were two races at brands. Also I was unaware that the 24h2cv spa race has been renamed as the (Apologies swear word coming up) Citroen C1 24 hrs of spa!!!  Seems we are being linked by some as connected entities.

Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Marty

I think 2CV Racing Club would be entitled to ask for a right of reply in this newspaper ? Otherwise, any concession on this aspect, a priori anecdotal, will see C1's nibble bit by bit 2CV's    :'(

Maisie

In reply to the first point, both races got an admittedly brief write-up in the main report from the Brands race day a few pages later.
Blueberry Tart ;)

Nick Roads

Its a story newspapers like more than bare facts. Good story as I read it on Mick and gives me hope that I too will follow in his footsteps.

On the C1 point we have to just accept they are now a series and move on. Club members have made it very clear they do not fit at the moment so they can do what they want as I see it.

2CV 24 Hour race 2017 is still very much happening in Belgium. Technically the story may be right as 2CVRT have run other series alongside their own classes such as Funcup and Smarts in the past. So may well be a Citroen C1 24 Hour race running alongside the 2CV 24 Hour race. Belgians are very pragmatic and well understand the need for income to keep their race going , 40 + C1's this year will give them over £ 100,000 so won't care much what journalists write or series organisers say in promoting their event.

Roy Eastwood

Apparently C1 racing has nothing to do with 2cvs whatsoever, so any mention of it in these pages or press articles mentioning it as connected or 'replacing' 2cv racing quite simply should be stamped on and perpetrators of such confusion need to have the error of their ways thoroughly and forcefully explained to them.

Quote from: Marty on August 08, 2017, 16:11:30
I think 2CV Racing Club would be entitled to ask for a right of reply in this newspaper ? Otherwise, any concession on this aspect, a priori anecdotal, will see C1's nibble bit by bit 2CV's    :'(

Marc Fenner

Maybe ECAS can start up a side business - ECAS C1 Pats 😉

Simon Crook

I like most if not all on this forum, club members want to race a 2cv hence why I got into it - the C1s are very different for me I am impressed how many cars they have on the grid already and in a funny round about way I wish them well - maybe as written down above most of us didn't like the way they where conceived or the information was not available and as out in the open as we would have liked - but hey its too late now we have to let the C1's move on and use some of the energy to look at our future as the Classic 2cv Racing Club and how we attract new cars to the formula, we tried the economy class and yes a couple of cars turned up, although from a spectators point of view didn't help our cause of close racing (i have had my fair share of running around at the back and its frustrating, disheartening and you ask yourself why bother) - At the moment on average what do we get one, possibly two new entrants a year, whats the drop out rate? We have our 'Premiership' race coming up this weekend our season finale which I wish you well at, how do we turn this into the event it is at Spa - I went last year for the first time - the site of all those race cars at the start was incredible - I know that won't happen as we have the vast speed differential - I have been around the club for a little while now, seen a few people come and go and have seen a few changes at the top. - So back to my question how do we make the Classic 2cv Race Club more attractive to new competitors.............................. New format, success ballast, maybe a draw out of the hat for grid positions I could go on and on - for me I like racing the 2cv (its only work that gets in the way that stops me doing more rounds) I like all of the other racers, their families, helpers and above all the help and support up and down the pit lane - its our club we need to steer it.
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Marty

Well, Simon, as a french driver, I could say that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence  ;D
I was in Spa in October 2016, as a spectator, after being a pilot from 2011 to 2015.
On this mythical circuit, the party immediately has a very attractive side, but we mustn't forget that it has a price: 4800 euros for our small 2CV and our poor wallets !  :'(

In my mind, the real path to follow is that of Clubs and Eco, ie the solution you develop in the UK
Why would the Eco drivers feel to go slowly? Because there are only 1 or 2 on the track?  So, we have to make this category more attractive !
What makes an exciting race both for spectators and for drivers is when there is a small gap between 2CV, and when everything can change from one turn to the next !  ;)

I work hard with my team to prepare my French 2CV in Eco class for 2018, and also to convince my "Classic" friends to do the same.
My proposals, to improve the regulation of Eco class, are submitted to the approval of the technical manager and the board of the Club. I really hope that it will have a favorable reception and that 2CV will be more numerous each season

Because, once again, for a beautiful 2CV race, for both spectators and drivers, nothing beats a harmonious 2CV grid on the track !  :D

See U at Snetterton !

Simon Crook

Hi Marty

Sorry if you felt my writing about the ECO class was wrong, I was and am in favour of the ECO class I think its a good way to introduce new members to the club, and of course even better from overseas, Ash Carter is a success story, started as an ECO class driver, and has now moved to our club class - I think we only have two regular ECO cars running (I may be wrong) I am not sure if we have any in the 24hrs. I am sure/know that the Classic class will always be welcomed to race alongside us (I enjoyed watching that class at Spa last year) I am not sure how close the regulations for our ECO and your Classic are? 

Look forward to racing alongside/with you at sometime.

Simon   
LUMACA RACING

Marc Fenner

I think one issue is the club needs a driver championship.
Currently drivers driving on there own are at a disadvantage and I personally feel those who share a drive are at an advantage with the points scoring as it is.
Maybe the club needs to look at this.
Possibly run a drivers championship along side a car championship?
It seems very unfair that a slow driver gets the points from a faster driver.
Another issue is people don't realise the club is around still. Maybe do a big PR push, invite other clubs to try the 24hr etc

Marty

Marc, excuse my ignorance, what is the sense of "big PR push" ?  ???

San

Do the single drivers have an advantage because they get two goes at fastest lap and pole?

Paul

Quote from: San on August 16, 2017, 10:30:59
Do the single drivers have an advantage because they get two goes at fastest lap and pole?
If it's wet they definitely have an advantage.

Simon Crook

Quote from: Marty on August 16, 2017, 08:06:14
Marc, excuse my ignorance, what is the sense of "big PR push" ?  ???

I think Marc and Liqui-Moly are doing a lot of PR already on behalf of club just on social media its at least daily from Jelly Snake or LM especially over the last few weeks with the run up to the 24hr, giving away tickets, goodie bag all of there own back - well done Marc   
LUMACA RACING

Nick Roads

Just to add to the mix having coming in to help again with the race this year I now see it as the 28th year of Classic 2CV Racing Club 24 Hour and not the '2CV 24 Hour'. Its great that there are 22 UK 2CV's, 6 more than 2016 but a lot less than 10 years ago. The race now is always going to be larger than the UK club cars if it wants to survive.

For the first time, I believe, in 28 years we have the 2CV Classiques racing,. One is a dyane but the point is they are very original. These are closer to the original 2CV's that raced at Mondello than UK cars now are I would have thought. I hope they will see the UK race as being as fun and as relevant to them as going to Spa. We will always be cheaper and as Marty noting there is the possibility of a few more for 2018. If so which class, UK 602 or Classique, is closest to the original ideal of the UK 2CV 24 Hour race? Its a good story.

We should embrace this heritage and changing the name of the club to add 'Classic' a few years ago was part of that. We choose classes that reflect and respect the same values. In terms of PR then this heritage and opening to other classes could put the Club in a strong position for the next decade. Its great that Liqui Molly and others have joined to support the club but they want to reach as large an audience as possible and UK 2CV racers are a small community.