Main Menu

2017 24hr

Started by Simon Crook, August 21, 2017, 12:41:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Crook

well done to all involved in this years 24hr Race from where I was it all looked ok, well to the commentary team too, think we as a club need too look at the live picture feeds for next year as this would greatly add to the remote experience - I know we get marshals looking on here so thank you to you guys and girls too your the best - Well done to all the teams, mechanics, friends and families you make this the event it is - sorry to see two cars damaged so badly, both drivers were lucky to escape injury! Congratulations to our podium finishers such a hard thing to achieve when all is good one minute, then as we all know it goes wrong!

And finally a big thumbs up to our championship winner (again) Lien and Team Gadget Racing another good effort rewarded.
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

hemi442

I'd like to add my specific thanks to the Board for all their hard work, on the tightrope, that they put into the Club to make these events happen so successfully and enjoyably.  There always seem to be more brickbats than praise and I feel the need to redress the balance.

Mick Storey

Agreed, loved the event, it was good to get the circuit in the first place and spectacularly entertaining when we got there. Thank you to everyone involved in organising it. Last night was also brilliant, I just wish I could remember it.

gadget

I think you were a banana!

gadget

Without a doubt such a shame to lose 2cars through such a major incident.
I think we need to look at what happened and improve certain safety measures.
Paul,myself and Tony Tiger Big Nose Barnett were discussing the idea of welding a block to the chassis directly behind the steering tube mounting point to help to stop the tube going back towards the driver.
It may also be worthwhile investigating the roll cage.
Even though both done their jobs, without a doubt the one on the TeteRouge car worked better.It seems to show that a cagetagged to the shell is a good idea.
Quote from: gadget on August 21, 2017, 20:12:53
I think you were a banana!

gadget

I also looked at the chassis on Chris's car and was puzzled by the rear legs.
It appears to be a frome chassis,but it has tappered rear legs! I don't remember that being done on a Frome race chassis!??
After all the talk about seats,frames etc, I don't think anyone would object to having a seat towards the centre of the car. If anyone wants to look at the seat frame in the TeteRouge car,it is quite obvious that it is strong and has done a good job.
After speaking to James in the Muffins car, he seemed to think that the harness belts slackened off because of the lack of support for the seat.

Speaking to Jarrow at the workshop today and discussing the weekend, he told me that there is an old Slovakian saying," after the war,everyone is a General!"
Maybe at the AGM this year we need to get all the generals to knock their heads together and come up with some improvements to put into the regs for the future.

I would like to start them off with some ideas to sort out the improvements to the fiasco of weighing cars during the race. There is an easy, sensible fair answer to this that has been suggested before.the msa scrutineers want it to happen and it will stop cars having to be weighed during the race.lets do it

Chris Yates

Quote from: gadget on August 21, 2017, 20:52:51
I also looked at the chassis on Chris's car and was puzzled by the rear legs.
It appears to be a frome chassis,but it has tappered rear legs! I don't remember that being done on a Frome race chassis!??

I've never been able to figure it out either. As far as I could tell, it's a Frome (and others seem to agree), but the rear legs are wrong. Whether they've been changed in the past for some reason maybe, I don't know really. Anyway, Clarence II will have an SLC.

Quote from: gadget on August 21, 2017, 20:52:51
After speaking to James in the Muffins car, he seemed to think that the harness belts slackened off because of the lack of support for the seat.

The rear belts slackened because the cage backstays (and therefore the harness bar) were moved forwards in the impact, and the seat was tilted backwards (bending both the chassis top plate and the floor) due to the car being accelerated forwards, and the side harnesses were probably a bit slackened due to that.

Perhaps mounting at least the side harnesses to some sort of seat frame AND the shell/chassis would help in these situations?

Sean

both cars did their job you cant regulate for every eventuality, racing cars ends up in crashes

In the past ive questioned the quality of the scrutineering due to cars passing without secure seat mounts or missing other safety critical things....on cars id been asked to work on

the regs are there they just have to be enforced both cars in this instance were built by experienced builders beyond the bare minimum, the fabricators should feel proud their good work

It also shut up our driver who moans about his Hans every time!

Lien93

This is also why the technical committee exists. We are primarily concerned with safety and we are there to work in conjunction with the members and the scrutineer. We went down the line of garages just before the race and had a look at most of the cars. The standard is generally pretty good, but we did see a couple that need to make small changes.

Simon Crook

Quote from: Lien93 on August 22, 2017, 08:30:09
This is also why the technical committee exists. We are primarily concerned with safety and we are there to work in conjunction with the members and the scrutineer. We went down the line of garages just before the race and had a look at most of the cars. The standard is generally pretty good, but we did see a couple that need to make small changes.

Hi Lien at one stage it was mentioned in the past that we all would get notified should there be any concerns with our cars is this still the case - sorry question not aimed at you really just the tech committee - would like to know if there where any concerns regarding my car!
LUMACA RACING

Pete Sparrow

Hi all, I hope you've all recovered.
If anything has come out of the weekend it is SAFETY.
We've all seen some big accidents in the last couple of years, ones which have given us goosebumps when we see the pictures.
As Sean says, you don't know when accidents are going to happen. In the case of 40 and 88 we were lucky that it was 2 2cv's not a faster heavier Mini or a Hybrid doing 20 mph more. Seeing 88 made me feel sick. Glenn is a very lucky boy. Thankfully that car is built well.
Think about this... Glenn is not a small chap, stopping him dead in a 4 foot space from 60mph is a lot of force. I have been thinking that if this had been another car with 3mm counter plates going onto a standard floor pan then that seat may not have stayed put. the consequences of that don't bare thinking about.
Now most of you know that our car has a seat frame that has come under scrutiny. It was made for a reason. One of the reasons Glenn had virtually no injuries is partly down to the seat frame Paul had made  for the car. I think that this type of system should be made compulsory. If required increase the weight limit by 10kg to accommodate it.
The other thing that supports is that on our second car 79, this car has the standard type of counter plates welded directly to the floor panel. The welding process will thin the material around the edge of the weld making the 0.7mm steel thinner than original. On this car we have found that the floor panel has cracked around the weld to the counter plate with the constant movement of the seat meaning it was attached on 2 sides only. I'm pretty sure that in the same accident that seat wouldn't have stayed put. I think we all need to check seat mounts/counter plates for the same issue.
We also need to get the log books back in place and issue proper notices and advice if defects are found.

Other than that a good weekend with some engine checks which is nice to see, almost no rain, good support from the officials and the best turn out for years. There are many positives so lets build on that.
Regards
Pete

The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Simon Crook

Have to agree with Pete here on the seat mount side of things, mine are how the regulations state, I am not sure that my seat would have stayed put in such an impact although my cage is tied into the body at the front - I was thinking about this yesterday, what if it was a pay to drive driver in the car and something like this happened I don't think I would ever be able to forgive myself -   
LUMACA RACING

Marty

I totally agree with Pete : safety first
Perhaps a specific topic on security needs to be created in "24h-Race" ?

Otherwise, full results are here :  http://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=BARC/2017/1733212cv.pdf

Paul

Quote from: Simon Crook on August 22, 2017, 12:31:10
Have to agree with Pete here on the seat mount side of things, mine are how the regulations state, I am not sure that my seat would have stayed put in such an impact although my cage is tied into the body at the front - I was thinking about this yesterday, what if it was a pay to drive driver in the car and something like this happened I don't think I would ever be able to forgive myself -   
I wouldn't be able to forgive myself who ever it was Simon. I'm just glad we built the car to protect me(larger than the average bear) from injury.
Seeing Chris's car was bad enough when that came in,let alone seeing Mycar(88) .which i couldn't face looking at properly until Monday.
The floor is largely intact because of the way the cage and 50x5 flat bar were installed,the seat frame(made of 10mm and 5mm aluminium angle) is strong enough to lift the car with i'm glad to say.

Nick clarke

Im not sure how much of the rear window you allowed to cover, but this year more cars seemed to have blocked more out. Car 35 and some of the minis were near imposible to see through,  making drafting very dangerous as you can normally look through the car in front.